shape
carat
color
clarity

Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Boogie

Rough_Rock

1st Stone

Round Brilliant
GIA Cert: Sept 2009
Measurements: 7.69-7.72x4.82mm
Carat Weight: 1.75 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 62.6%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 35%
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavillion Angle: 40.8%
Pavillion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 55%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted (3-5%)
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Additional Inscription: H&A

2nh Stone – 2.02 G VS2

Round Brilliant
GIA Cert: August 2009
Measurements: 8.12-8.13x5.03mm
Carat Weight: 2.02 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 35%
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavillion Angle: 40.8%
Pavillion Depth: 43.0%

Star Length: 55%

Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted (3.0%)
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Comments:

Pinpoints are not shown

Surgace graining is not shown

May I know which one is better? I have done the HCA test and both of them are within the range of 0-2. Do you think that I should sacrifice one color and clarity down for a 2 Carat? The price difference for 2.02 G and 1.75 F is $1,500.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
G VS2 is a great color+clarity combo.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer #2...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Is this for yourself or for someone else?

If price isn''t a concern, go for the larger one.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''ll take #2

rockabee

Rough_Rock
when you say price difference is $1500, which one is the most expensive? in either case, if you can afford it, I would 110% go with the G VS2. VS1 is great, but unless for some strange reason the VS2 is not eye clean (which is highly unlikely), it''s a little bit like paying for something you will never use. For me, it''s either flawless or its not. So if I''m buying a non-flawless stone, the next level I care about is whether I can see the inclusions or not, which is almost always true at the VS2 level that you can not.

the other thing is that given how well these two stones are cut, it will be all but impossible for someone to tell color face up. it will still be extremely difficult to judge color when viewing the stones from the side unless you have a much higher reference stone (probably 2 shades higher) to look at once it''s mounted. i''ve seen a bunch of F/G/H stones and most often can only tell color difference on a white card when they are flipped upside down. difference between an F and G are very marginal imho, even face down on a color card.

BUT, i do believe there is a huge difference between a 1.75 and 2.0 ct stone. First off, there is almost a 0.4mm difference in size, which is visibly noticeable, even to casual observers. I think most ppl would notice the amazing cut first, and then size second. Second, I think rightly or wrongly, size is the one thing that tends to stick in a person''s mind. How many times have you heard someone say "oh, so and so has a beautiful ring! it''s a GIA F VS1, Ex/Ex/Ex that scores well on HCA!"? Never, its always, "she''s got a beautiful 2ct ring!" Third, I think the round ct numbers 1, 1.5, 2, etc have an emotional "ring" to them just because they are easy to remember.

I think you''ve done a great job picking two amazing stones. But having just gone through this process, I think I would get the larger stone if its within your budget. The difference in color and clarity are just not impactful enough to justify the difference in size.

Boogie

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Hest88, the stone is for myself.

Rockabee, your detailed analysis is very helpful to me. 2.01 G VS2 costs $1,500 more than 1.75 F VS1.

It seems that it is a overwhelming majority for the 2.01 G here.
1.gif

Boogie

Rough_Rock
Please see the inclusion for the 2.02 GVS2 here. Please advise if it is good for a VS2. Many thanks!

InclusionGVS2.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, G VS2 looks good from the numbers. Clarity should not be a problem at VS2 level.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three for #2.

rockabee

Rough_Rock
the clarity shouldn''t be an issue looking down into the face of the diamond. but really, at VS2, you need to actually see the stone yourself. the issue being that most of the inclusions are clustered together but the only real risk is if some of the inclusions are black. non-black inclusions (feather, needles, most clouds, etc) at the VS2 level are nothing to worry about. crystals can be black and if clustered together, the inclusion may actually be visible. i personally have seen a number of VS2s where I can actually see the tiny black inclusion from the side! most dealers and GIA refer to eye-clean only from the top looking down into the face of the diamond. if this is an online stone, ask them if it is "eye-clean from all directions." between that and the 30 day warranty you should be fine.

Boogie

Rough_Rock

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably no good on the 3rd stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results