shape
carat
color
clarity

which one of these two diamonds is better?

wb114

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I'm fairly new to diamonds and only know the basic knowledge of the 4Cs. I did some reading and searching here but would like some comments on these 2 diamonds I'm looking over at BN. Which one is a better deal? My significant other wanted a 2.0c originally but it seems like the price just goes way up once it hits a certain size. I've already increased my original budget of $15k to $20k now and I think I'll settle with something between 1.7-1.8 in size. She's more into size but I'm more focused at how bright & shiny the stone is under normal lighting conditions.
Thanks in advance!

Diamond #1
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.82
Cut: Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 62.5%
Table: 57.0%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong
Measurements: 7.76x7.81x4.86mm
Price: $20,736

Diamond #2
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.75
Cut: Signature Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 55.0%
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.74x7.77x4.78mm
Price: $19,165

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
We would need more information than this to give you an opinion of the stones. Can you link the reports? The problem with shopping at BN is the limited information they can offer. You really need to be able to look at magnified images of the stone, and an idealscope image, neither of these are available through BN.

Your first step for any diamond your considering, should be to run the angles through the hca.
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Typically we suggest that you reject stones that score over two and place stones that score under two on your short list for further evaluation. This is only a rejection tool and not a selection tool, so if your interested in a stone that score just over two, you can post the stones info and we can give you more guideance.

I'd only consider stones that have been graded EX or Ideal by AGS or GIA. Labs such as EGL are notoriously lax in their grading and although they appear to be a better deal, they are not. Often EGL stones graded as H VS2 would come back from GIAs lab as a J SI2 or worse. It's best not to consider them at all.

Gather some more information and come back, we will be better able to help you. :))

wb114

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the info. Diamond #1 is no longer available so I entered the numbers for a different one and the result was 0.9 while the result for Diamond #2 was 1.2 How does the score compare? Is it correct to say the lower number stone is more sparkly?

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Did you get to see any photos of the stones you are considering? That will probably help a great deal and take a lot of questions out of the equation.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
wb114|1338965142|3210202 said:
Thank you for the info. Diamond #1 is no longer available so I entered the numbers for a different one and the result was 0.9 while the result for Diamond #2 was 1.2 How does the score compare? Is it correct to say the lower number stone is more sparkly?

No! HCA is strictly pass fail, under two pass, over two fail. A .08 will not be more sparkly than a 1.9. HCA is not perfect, it's brutal on stones with slightly steeper pav angles (41 or over), and lenient on very shallow stones IMO. When a diamond scores over 2but under 3, the HCA is suggesting that further investigation is necessary, hence the need for either IS images or to be able to evaluate it with your own eyes, preferably side by side with another well cut stone.

EDIT: for clairty, I feel all stones should be evaluated by an IS or ASET images before purchase, not just stones scoring below a 2 on the HCA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results