shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Old Cut Diamond would you choose and why?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really do not know enough to ask the proper questions but would like to learn. The faceting of these three diamonds is very appealing to my eye. However, am not certain about the shallow depth of the GIA circular brilliant. Would this display a fiasheye or just be dead. The EGL transitional is smaller and also possesses an interesting pattern to me. The last diamond is a classic old european cut. It is a bit more organic. Please point out positives and shortcomings in these diamonds and areas that require further investigation. Thank you for your guidance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1ct-GIA-CE...-VINTAGE-NATURAL-ANTIQUE-1-CARAT/174041190583
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 12.36.10 AM.png
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CE...RANSITIONAL-EUROPEAN-1ct-NATURAL/173850754665
Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 9.09.53 PM.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDEAL-CUT-...-VS1-CERTIFIED-EXCELLENT-1CT-OEC/153422803461

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 9.14.16 PM.png

Sorry about the erractic picture size but both PS and eBay shrink after I take a screenshot and I do not know how to restore the original size.

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert but they all look pretty nice to my eyes!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Number two has very crisp details, which many PSers enjoy. Personally the third would be my choice, all other things being equal. The culet seals the deal!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t care for the depth of #1, too shallow for my taste. Big color diff between 2 and 3 so depends on what you like. #3 has a smaller table which many prefer in an old cut. Can they do a side by side video for you? If you go for #3 I would ask about the girdle thickness and setting options.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See if they can do a side by side photo for you. If you can narrow it down to two maybe they can do a video for you.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Screenshot_20191105-084629.png

My Diamond Zone on Ebay is same company as Ivy&Rose on Etsy. I like the stats on this one, not far off on price from another you posted.

Personally, I'd avoid a stone that's shallow and "spready" like option 1 you shared. I would watch Rhinos video on "the lure of spready cuts"---you lose perfomance and risk fish eye.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Vote for the transitional - the stone looks perfect & the colour grade does not hurt; this is the pattern I think of as Ideal for round brilliant.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE the stone you posted is just exactly what I am looking for. Thank you! I have requested a side by side comparison video of it and another diamond to see which style of cut I prefer. Will try to post the video after I receive it for further guidance. Thank you again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am assuming you know not to buy through ebay or etsy. They'll have more leeway to discount if you buy from them directly.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 thank you for the tip. I am purchasing through Ivy & Rose to take advantage of an option that was available. Please tell me what you think of this comparison video. The diamond on the left is the 1.36ct transitional while on the right is an L SI1 old miner. I actually have a setting that would accomodate the old miner that is sitting empty.

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I like them both! Do you like one better?
I guess it comes down to what you are looking for. Did you have something in mind for a round stone? Or are you looking to use the setting you already have, that the old miner fits?
They have a nice 30 day return policy, whichever platform you choose to use to buy from them.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 thank you for the tip. I am purchasing through Ivy & Rose to take advantage of an option that was available. Please tell me what you think of this comparison video. The diamond on the left is the 1.36ct transitional while on the right is an L SI1 old miner. I actually have a setting that would accomodate the old miner that is sitting empty.

That old miner has the most gorgeous cushion shape! I personally can see the colour difference between the two stones. (The cushion appearing warmer) I think maybe under the shop spot lighting, the old miner sparkles more? The photo in the link shows a beautiful facet pattern for the transitional. Have you any close ups of the old miner? Sorry that was not helpful, they both look beautiful to me

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones looked good to me in the video. Do you have a magnified photo of the OMC? I'd be interested in seeing the facet pattern.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results