shape
carat
color
clarity

Which material for engagement ring?

tripleX

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I’m really unsure about which material to get for my girlfriends engagement ring and wedding band.

For reference, I’m based in Australia. I’m leaning more towards Platinum or Palladium. The only issue is I’m unsure whether or not the alloys on offer are fine and secure for a high quality engagement ring and wedding band.

The options I can choose from are:
1) 95%paladium/5%silver
2) 95%platinum/5% palladium
3) 95%platinum/5%ruthenium
4) 95%platinum with cobalt and/or copper

I really like the idea of using platinum and palladium due to their preciousness.

I also don’t mind using 900plat/100irid, but it seems that no case house uses this...

All that I read suggests that all the palladium mixes are not strong enough (60-80 Vickers). The ruthenium mix is hard enough it seems, but from what I read I’m not too keen on ruthenium as an alloy.

If anyone could please assist with comments/thoughts, it would be much appreciated!

Im no expert, but the rings will be designed with CAD then moulded and then cast (as opposed to made from hand).

Thank you!!!

tripleX

Rough_Rock
Just as a follow up - it will be a high class ring with very good diamonds, melee etc, so I’d like something with very nice quality to match, like precious metals :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhere on here there are threads describing the differences between Pt/Ru and Pt/Cobalt mixes - IIRC one is stronger but more 'brittle'.

Does your other half want some 'weight' to the ring? If so, Pt is the way forward - Palladium is very light compared to Pt.

I don't think I've read much about the Pt/Palladium alloy, though.

tripleX

Rough_Rock
Somewhere on here there are threads describing the differences between Pt/Ru and Pt/Cobalt mixes - IIRC one is stronger but more 'brittle'.

Does your other half want some 'weight' to the ring? If so, Pt is the way forward - Palladium is very light compared to Pt.

I don't think I've read much about the Pt/Palladium alloy, though.

Thanks for your thoughts! She doesn’t mind to be totally honest, it’s more so me who cares haha. I’ll run a search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results