shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is the better diamond/deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I have two choices for a diamond that I am considering. It will be set in a WG solitaire E-ring. I''m torn between the two because I am able to discern the minute color differences between E, F, G and H. I thought I wanted a colorless stone.. and #1 is certainly a blinding clean white to my eye... has very a nice cut and symmetry and fire to it. #2 has AMAZING fire, a slight color tinge to my eye and superb symmetry in my opinion. Both of these are at a local B&M store, that is a chain *gasp* but I know a crappy diamond when I see one and these are good stones. Below are the only specs I have on the diamonds so I really can''t do a HCA report on them since I don''t have crown and pavillion info on them. I''ve search on the cut advisor search here on PS though and stones that have very similar dimensions come out with between .5 -1 score on the HCA. I guess my question is... is is worth another $900 to have a colorless, WHITE stone or would #2 be the better ''value''?

F color VERY white in color
VS2 clarity SUPER clean
.64 ct
5.54 x 5.57 x 3.40 measurements
Very Good Symmetry
Very Good Polish
$2,700

H color
SI1 clarity VERY eye clean
.67 ct
5.58 x 5.64 x 3.4 measurements
Very Good Symmetry
Good Polish
$1,800

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

We need the crown and pavillion angles to be able to help you further as you realise, but it would be useful to know if these diamonds have grading reports and if so, which lab please?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 11:41:31 PM
Author:betternotbiggerdiamond
I guess my question is... is it worth another $900 to have a colorless, WHITE stone or would #2 be the better ''value''?
To just answer your question, it will be worth it only if it''s going to really bug you that you can see a slight bit of color.

Is 2 a better value?, hard to say without all the info, but it''s cheaper.

Well, these stones are at Jared''s so they do not have "certs", but after reading so many horror stories here about them and then tonight the sales lady, who was the "diamond manager" looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked about crown/pavillion angles. She told me "everything you need to know is right here." So, I am put off by them. We''re going to have the private jeweler locate some nice stones for us. I told them specifically what I am looking for and they will gather some up for me to look at tomorrow. I''d rather buy a stone from someone I can trust. Probably end up with a better deal, too. Thanks.

Apprentice1

Rough_Rock
Sounds like a great idea to me. And not to diss anyone but I had a similar experience recently. I went into Kay''s just to do some comparisons... and found the sales person in that area didn''t really know what they were talking about either. For instance I (a newby) ended up explaining to him the difference between IGI grading and GIA... he had never even heard of AGS. At least he knew to tell me that there were "4" C''s, and "cut is most important"... hey, it''s a start. He ended up telling me that he was gonna "get on the internet and do some research" as I was leaving. ha
20.gif

Apprentice1

Rough_Rock
Oh, and just to cover myself... I''m sure it could be an "isolated" experience.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 10:49:02 PM
Author: Apprentice1
Oh, and just to cover myself... I'm sure it could be an 'isolated' experience.
It's not.
9.gif
2.gif

betternot, good idea to go with someone more knowledgeable that you trust.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2007 10:11:43 PM
Author: betternotbiggerdiamond
Well, these stones are at Jared''s so they do not have ''certs'', but after reading so many horror stories here about them and then tonight the sales lady, who was the ''diamond manager'' looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked about crown/pavillion angles. She told me ''everything you need to know is right here.'' So, I am put off by them. We''re going to have the private jeweler locate some nice stones for us. I told them specifically what I am looking for and they will gather some up for me to look at tomorrow. I''d rather buy a stone from someone I can trust. Probably end up with a better deal, too. Thanks.
I had a feeling that was the case with no grading reports, especially no way to tell in that case if the colour grades particularly are accurate and to know if you were paying a fair price. I hope your search goes better now and I know it will lead you to the right diamond eventually!

Well we were going to go with this private jeweler initially and then I just wasn''t sure it was the right decision so I started looking elsewhere and nearly lost my mind with the other stores and frustrated with where to buy the ring so we''ve decided to go back to the original store. First instinct is usually right.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results