shape
carat
color
clarity

Which DIAPERS Do You Like Best?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Friend of mine is expecting and I like to buy a couple of cases of disposable diapers as the baby gift. That's what I wanted when mine were little, and having a couple of cases on hand is TOTALLY handy. :appl:

She's adamant about disposables, so I'm going along with her and getting those rather than cloth. She's a new mom so she doesn't have any real preference yet.

BUT- my youngest is a teen, and I haven't bought diapers in years! :shock:

So what kind do you like and why do you like them? Is there a less expensive brand (so I can possibly stretch to 3 cases?) that works well?

I'm open to suggestions!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
look on amazon and do subscribe and save to get the best deal (usually up to 30% off retail prices). you can cancel at anytime/after your shipment.

i used pampers sensitive swaddlers to start but that was before they had dry max in them.
now we use huggies pure & natural.

i think a lot of moms like Luvs too. but for a newborn i'd prob go with a natural/sensitive product.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before switching to cloth, we used Pampers, Huggies and Luvs. Pampers is what they used in the hospital but I MUCH preferred the Huggies Little Snugglers or Pure and Natural. I then tried Luvs because they're so much cheaper. They're scented though - icky! DS has sensitive skin so this didn't fly.

I agree with Mara that you should go the natural route for a newborn. I wouldn't spend much on newborn size dipes though. My DS was 6lbs9oz and outgrew the newborn size in just a few weeks. I second trying Amazon too - there are some great deals. Also, if you sign up at Diapers.com as a new customer, you get 30% cash back on all diaper purchases for three months which can be used for any diapers.com merchandise - just look up the code on google. This is how I funded some of my cloth diaper stash!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Pampers swaddlers, then Pampers with dry max or cruisers. Never had a problem with the dry max. Both of my kids leaked right out of Huggies and Luvs never stood a chance. I prefer Targets Up and Up brand if I don't get Pampers.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Pampers has worked well for both of my girls, before and after dry max. Tried Huggies with DD#2 , DH (my diaper connoisseur) really liked the fit and leak protection and she got diaper rash after using them for a few days. Newborn + bad diaper rash = no fun. Tried Luvs in a pinch, but my 1.5 year old leaked, and she never leaks. Could have been a fluke.

Every kid is different. Really, until she tries a brand or two you never know what will work best for her little one. You could just get her a couple of different brands to let her try it out.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVED the Pampers swaddlers. I used to order them from amazon and I'll probably do the same thing when Charles is born.

I liked them because they fit like a glove and absolutely no leaks. I also tried Luvs but they leaked.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I find that the Pampers Baby-Dry don't contain the odor very well. the Cruisers are the best so far, but that's not for a newborn.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We liked the pampers without the dry max that they had in the hospital. They had a convenient little strip that told you when the baby had peed. When we came home and bought diapers on our own we mistakenly got the ones with DryMax and Aidan had an oozing, bleeding diaper rash within a day. So we went to Huggies, which we liked a lot and Up & Up (Target's brand) and then Luvs. We now use Luvs during the day (inexpensive and contain everything well, though they are scented). We use Huggies overnights at night because we have a super pee-er. Also, I'd buy size 1-2s vs newborns. She's going to need larger diapers within the first few months and it'll be good to have them on hand.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to the pee stripe! I think both Huggies and Pampers have it in the newborn and size 1. Since the diapers are super absorbent, it can be hard to tell if they're wet. In the early days, it's important to know how often your baby pees so this is very helpful!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, this is really helpful, everyone! :wavey:

Diapers have really changed, apparently!

So Dry Max is bad? Is it too hot or something? Is that why it caused Hudson's DS diaper rash? There seems to be a lot of anti-Dry max sentiment. See, without this thread I would have just bought that . . .

And how are some diapers "natural"? I don't know what you mean, is it like cotton or something? :confused:

I think I'll just skip to the next size beyond newborn, I think my DS and DD grew out of the tiny sizes really fast, then seemed to stay in the next size for months and months.

But it's hard to remember since my oldest is 26 :o

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Huggies. Better coverage around the legs/waist, IMO, and no problems with leaks. I found Pampers to be smaller/less coverage overall. (And I didn't like the design on them... :wink2: )

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I usually give a case of size 2 Pampers baby dry as a gift. They go through newborn and 1's pretty fast, and those also tend to be the sizes that are given at showers, so I figure they'll be running out of freebies by the time the kid gets to size 2. I've tried about all the brands out there, the Luvs worked OK, but they make a crinkly sound that just made me picture a platic bag on my kids butt, so I stopped using those. Huggies work well, but are bulkier than Pampers. You can probably just grab either Huggies or Pamepers, whichever you can get a better price on.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
It seems that if a child is allergic to Dry Max, it's severe and immediate. I've only known a couple of babies who got it though. Ditto to trying a lot of brands to find what works best.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1304097209|2908051 said:
It seems that if a child is allergic to Dry Max, it's severe and immediate. I've only known a couple of babies who got it though. Ditto to trying a lot of brands to find what works best.

This. It was insane how quickly and severely the rash came up. And it resolved itself quickly as well (though the really sore spots took a little longer) once we abandoned the dry max.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pampers for sure! Huggies run small in my opinion. I have a baby with chubby thighs. :)

Also, Up and Up (Target brand) are surprisingly good!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pampers, but I do think it depends on the baby's body type.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for Pampers diapers! I love the Huggies natural care wipes though!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Pampers sensitive swaddlers would be ideal for a new baby. Very soft, unscented, they're great. My son is 11 mo and we are STILL using them. I've tried the regular swaddlers as well as the Huggies pure & natural and I don't like either of those.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Before the dry max we loved pampers swaddlers. Felt them recently and not a fan. Really like the pure & natural (huggies) in place of pampers. That's what I would use for newborn until about 3 or 4 months. After that we have used pampers cruisers for day and huggies overnight.

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
I have always been bothered by the way Pampers smell- to me, it's kind of a fake-y cloying baby powder smell. We use Huggies- either Pure 'n Natural or Little Snugglers.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I love pampers swaddlers for size nb-2. Then I switch to luv's and am very happy. I would buy size 1 or 2 pampers swaddlers.

audball

Ideal_Rock
For a cheaper brand option than the name brands - my sister SWEARS by Publix brand diapers. They are her favorite and are way chepaer than Pampers, Huggies, even Luvs.

Publix (I think) is only in the Southeast, so I don't konw if you can get them since I don't know where you are, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I buy Pampers.

Once Daisy turned 6 months and was mobile I put her into Pampers Pull-ups and have stuck with them. They don't leak, no tabs for little fingers to undo and a godsend with wrigglers.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
We use cloth, but on the occasions that we have to use disposables, we use Huggies. DS has very sensitive skin and Pampers diapers give him a rash.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1304099876|2908091 said:
somethingshiny|1304097209|2908051 said:

This. It was insane how quickly and severely the rash came up. And it resolved itself quickly as well (though the really sore spots took a little longer) once we abandoned the dry max.

Eeek, we have these and my baby just got a rash so I think if it doesn't get better we are going to have to change brands. :mad:

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I have been using Pampers with dry max and no probs at all.

Any advice for a baby boy who pees up the front during the night? Daytime we are fine but every morning he has peed through his PJs, poor thing.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1307753027|2942965 said:
I have been using Pampers with dry max and no probs at all.

Any advice for a baby boy who pees up the front during the night? Daytime we are fine but every morning he has peed through his PJs, poor thing.

What are you using at night?

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Lanie|1307753027|2942965 said:

When we started having that problem we switched to Huggies Overnights for nighttime ... haven't had a leak since!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lanie, this may be 'obvious' but are you securing the diaper correctly? We have had this happen a few times here and there, sometimes when changing a brand or going up a size but then I realized I was probably leaving them a little too loose at the sides and not fanning out the whole diaper before taping. It's not 1000% foolproof but once I get a little more 'secure' on taping and checking the edges etc then it usually stops the leaks. We only have this issue with overnights and it's because he sleeps the whole 12 hours, but recently we went up a size to 6 in overnights and the first few nights leaked but while we were waiting for the delivery from Amazon we just used his regular daytime diapers and he slept 12 hours and didn't leak once, so I was baffled. Then I realized I was probably not securing them right. The last 5 nights have been leak free. and yeah he only leaks in the front at night, so his front is all wet. Try checking your technique.

And if that doesn't work then maybe switch brands? We used to use Pampers 12 hour Baby Dry and they were GREAT. We used them til J was I think 12 months? I only switched because I wanted to get away from Pampers entirely. Now we use Huggies Overnights and they also are great (once I got the technique fixed!).

For daytime we used Pampers until they put DryMax in all the diapers, then we switched to Huggies P&N which were also great, and probably better than Pampers, softer for sure--but expensive. And now the last 4 months we just switched over to regular Huggies since he's a little older and skin is less sensitive/more durable. Much cheaper to go this route now too.

Skippy, I would ditch the Pampers. We never bought any of the Pampers with drymax because of all the chemical burns the kids were getting, I don't care what Pampers says, that is not normal!

FYI for all, the Pampers Baby Dry does not have drymax in it (or didn't 3-4mo ago and I don't think they were planning to put that in but maybe it changed) which is the only reason we used them as long as we did.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1307762473|2943079 said:
Skippy, I would ditch the Pampers. We never bought any of the Pampers with drymax because of all the chemical burns the kids were getting, I don't care what Pampers says, that is not normal!

FYI for all, the Pampers Baby Dry does not have drymax in it (or didn't 3-4mo ago and I don't think they were planning to put that in but maybe it changed) which is the only reason we used them as long as we did.

Mara, I think you a right. We switched to the Huggies even though they are a little big and he doesn't scream now and nor does the diaper stick to his butt. That was awful; I won't use Pampers again w/that dry max.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results