shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond would you choose?

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. My boyfriend and I are currently trying to decide between two very similar diamonds. They are the same size, cut and clarity. The major difference is that one is a J and one is an I color.

We can definitely see the difference when viewing them on their sides next to each other. The price difference is pretty significant too. The I costs 30% more than the J. I want my boyfriend to get the J, since I think it will look white when not being compared to another diamond. He is not convinced and thinks that it looks too yellow.

Here are the comparison images. know that we can return the J if we aren't happy with it in person, but we'd like to avoid all that if possible.

image_926.jpg

image_924.jpg

Does anyone have any words of wisdom to help us with this decision? Anyone own a J diamond that they can vouch looks white? Or does it have noticeable yellow to it and you'd recommend going to the I color instead?

Thanks!

jramy278

Shiny_Rock
Could you post cert #s/all the specs for both the stones? You'd get better help if you provide more info.

I'm no expert, but just looking at the images, it seems that there could be some leakage under the table in the stone on the right (I'm assuming that's the I). Are you able to get Idealscope images?

ETA: sorry I realize you wanted opinions on color and I clearly didn't offer any! To me there is a slight warmth to the J (on the left) but I don't know that you'd notice once you look at it just by itself (vs. comparing it to another stone)

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
If you are set on choosing between those two diamonds, I would choose the J based on what little info was provided. The tint will be much less noticeable once set. What type of setting do you want? It might show slight tint from the profile view if the mount has open sides, but that's about it. I agree that the I does seem a little leaky in the center.

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
I don't believe there is any leakage since it is "a cut above". I think it was because I cropped out another diamond on the left so the J diamond was the focus (middle) of the picture.

I purposely didn't post the specs because I don't want one of these to be snatched up before we decide which one is best for us. Here are the ideal scope images though:

I diamond image_927.jpg

J diamond image_928.jpg

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Here are the HCA scores

I diamond: image_929.jpg

J diamond: image_930.jpg

jramy278

Shiny_Rock
SgrPlum12|1388694417|3584994 said:
I don't believe there is any leakage since it is "a cut above". I think it was because I cropped out another diamond on the left so the J diamond was the focus (middle) of the picture.

I purposely didn't post the specs because I don't want one of these to be snatched up before we decide which one is best for us. Here are the ideal scope images though:

I diamond image_927.jpg

J diamond image_928.jpg

Ah understandable..I still vote for the J. Good luck!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couple questions for you, OP:

1. is this your forever diamond or would you be upgrading in the future?
2. since these are WF diamonds, I am assuming your WF sales rep and/or WF gemologist offered some comments regarding the 2 stones - if so, what did they say?

Honestly, if it is a forever stone, I'd say go with the I color.
If you plan to upgrade, then go with the J color as you know you'll have an opportunity in the future to change the color as well as the size.
If WF offered some comments that point rather unequivocally to one or the other, I'd very seriously consider their opinion.

Unless you absolutely prefer J color and warmer, and anything I color and higher is unattractive to you, if the only issue that is preventing you from choosing the I color is the 30% higher price tag, but your BF has expressed a willingness to purchase and a preference for the I color... I would go with the I color. If you break down the cost of the diamond and multiply it by the number of days you expect to wear it, a 30% cost difference ends up not being very significant in the long run.

(The above are just my thoughts - of course choose whichever works best for you both!)

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Thank you, I appreciate all of your opinions! Keep them coming!

I think we MAY upgrade in the future, since Whiteflash has an amazing upgrade policy. I'm not positive though. It's a pretty good size diamond already.

Here are the comments provided by Whiteflash:

"In person, the J is absolutely gorgeous! It is very bright, and provides a great amount of both brilliance and fire. Next to the H, you can see a difference in color from the side but when placed on a hand they looked basically identical. I think you will be very happy with it, but please let me know your thoughts once you have time to review the images."

(I had my eye on an H as well, which is what she compared the J to.)

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my 2 cents... I have a rb D w/ SBF, several G's, and a J emerald cut (which show more body color due to the cut than rb's do). I love them all, but for different reasons. I was hesitant about the J, but once I got it... wow! It really is beautiful. Not yellowed (I had an L and it was too tinted for me); it just has a little personality. It really opened my eyes - I never considered H-I-J stones before, but I'm glad I took the risk.

WF has a return period, correct? Is there any way you can have one or both shipped to you so you can see for yourself?

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Update:

The J stone has been purchased! I cannot wait to meet it. Haha. I hope my bf and I love it in person. It was a very good price over the I colored diamond. Even though it was very tempting to go whiter, I am hoping it will still look white on my hand, when not being compared to another diamond. We chose to have it set in Whiteflash's Fine Line engagement setting.

My boyfriend said if he isn't happy with the color of it (too much yellow tint) then he will return it for a different one, so we don't really have anything to lose.

Thanks for all of your valuable expertise! :$$):

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results