shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond studs?

sparklyjane

Rough_Rock
Reading price scope really helped me with a recent eternity ring purchase I made, so I'm hoping you can help me with an upcoming purchase of some diamond studs!

I have always wanted 2ctw diamond studs. The legends at IDJ have offered me non GIA certifed diamond studs with the following credentials:
price-scope quality diamond studs, F-G color, SI clarity - no black in the center, 100% Eye-clean, excellent cut, excellent polish, excellent symmetry

Reading this forum has made me nervous about getting non-GIA stones, so I asked what they could offer for a roughly similar price. Here are the two options:
RD 1.60 ctw G SI1 PriceScope quality
OR
RD 1.90 ctw H SI1 - 100% eye-clean - 3-X (slightly more).

Which would you go for?
Also, I know I want the martini setting, but should I go for three or four prong?
Thanks in advance!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What are "Pricescope Quality Stones" ,have not heard that expression before.

Diamonds are like other quality or non-quality things you buy. There is an age old adage......"You get what you pay for". OP, there are no deals in diamonds. Sorry.

One more thing.........there is probably a very good reason those stones are not graded by GIA or another quality grader.

sparklyjane

Rough_Rock
Sorry should have been more clear - the bottom two options are GIA graded..

What are "Pricescope Quality Stones" ,have not heard that expression before.

Diamonds are like other quality or non-quality things you buy. There is an age old adage......"You get what you pay for". OP, there are no deals in diamonds. Sorry.

One more thing.........there is probably a very good reason those stones are not graded by GIA or another quality grader.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the 1.9 H SI1 GIA in three prong martini setting - super comfy and classic.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto...the 1.9 H SI1s!! I upgraded my studs recently with IDJ to 1.6 H and I SI1 stones and they're very white so I would not hesitate with the pair they're offering as long as the cut is also top notch!

sparklyjane

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help all! The 1.60 ctw GIAs are significantly cheaper. Why would that be? Is there a noticeable difference between the two pairs?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your help all! The 1.60 ctw GIAs are significantly cheaper. Why would that be? Is there a noticeable difference between the two pairs?
What is $$ of "significantly cheaper"?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably ask IDJ why the difference. It's not a huge difference but it does seem to make a difference. If I chose the H stones I would want to make sure it's worth it.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The price difference of $750 per stone for extra 15 points seems to make perfect sense. The size difference will definitely be noticeable. Are the cuts truly comparable? Have you seen the ASETS/idealscopes for both pairs?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA 3x, bigger vs not certed, smaller = price difference.

Get the jumbo (elephant) backs.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you take a look on James Allen for example, there is definitely a jump between .80 and .95 stones so I'm not at all surprised about the price difference. If you're unable to justify the extra $ right now, why not ask IDJ if the 1.6ctw are upgradeable and you can always do so at a later time?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought both pairs were GIA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results