shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond shape would work best in this setting?

Xanthoria

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am new to the forum so please bear with me if this question is pathetic!

I am looking at engagement rings with my boyfriend, and I like a very simple, clean, modern look. I also like square rings, and have several (steel, silver) ones - square in profile with a round finger hole.

I'd like to get a square platinum ring with rounded corners for comfort, matte finished, with a square or rectangular diamond, set flush to the surface of the ring (gypsy set?) but spanning the entire width of the ring. Which squarish shaped diamond cut would work best?

I understand that the edges of the diamond are covered over by the setting, but on a Radiant or Asscher the corners are cut off. Does that mean the setting has to cover more of the diamond for the edges of the nonexistant corners not to peek out? Does that mean I should get a Princess cut? Is there a rectangular version of a Princess cut? I prefer "more sparkly" (technical term? ;-) ) so that appears to rule out Emerald cuts. Right?

Below is a round ring but in the setting style I like.

Hope that works. Thanks!

388.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what width do you want? I think a princess could work well in that setting but you should pick the stone shape that appeals most to you

Xanthoria

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006, that ring is lovely!

Can anyone answer these questions?

I understand that the edges of the diamond are covered over by the setting, but on a Radiant or Asscher the corners are cut off. Does that mean the setting has to cover more of the diamond for the cut off corners not to peek out? Does that mean I should get a Princess cut so the setting doesn't cover as much diamond? Is there a rectangular version of a Princess cut? I prefer "more sparkly" (technical term? ) so that appears to rule out Emerald cuts. Right?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, if you like more 'sparkles' then I would go with a princess cut. I actually don't think you need a rectangular princess to have the width of the band be appropriate...but if you want a rectangular stone maybe look for a radiant? It is harder to find a well-cut radiant though. I don't think the cut corners would peek out...it just depends on how you want the stone set. kenny has a tension set asscher and the corners don't peek out...there is metal covering it.

just saw DS linked to kenny's asscher...nice!

ETA what aspects of the setting are you looking for? honestly I think it could work with any shape (even round...there would just be some metal around it...) you also could achieve a similar look with a low bezel setting.

Xanthoria

Rough_Rock
i just looked back at Kenny's Asscher and the corders are not covered at all - am I looking at the wrong pic or ring? Confused :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results