shape
carat
color
clarity

which cut gives most sparkle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

natyloo

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.75 K round, but I''m REALLY in love with the more square/rectangular stones . . . but I don''t know what to look for to get a very firey, sparkly diamond. Please help! I am thinking I like radiant, cushion, asscher, or jubilee cut . . . any other ideas/suggestions? Also, what size would I need to go with to not look like I got a smaller stone when I get my new stone?? (it would be in a new setting altogether) thanks for any help!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a new asscher cut that IMHO gives off sparkle that rivals or beats the best rounds.
I just bought one.
It is called Octavia.
I took these pics below.
Like other asschers they do face up smaller than a round of the same carat weight though.

Christmas night we were on the freeway and held it up next to a Whiteflash ACA and pointed them at the headlights of the cars behind us.
The Octavia was every bit as exploding with colors as the super-ideal cut round ACA.

The PS vendor GOG carries them:

Click Here for Octavias

00009876hm.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another pic taken in the center of a flower.

Notice how this new Octavia cut has a high crown and small table reminiscent of those classic antique cuts.

0yphm.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, the Octavias is very pretty! I recently bought a 1/2 ct EC that even sparkles more than I thought it would. Of course any well cut diamond will put on a good show.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Call Jon at Good Old Gold and ask if he could make a video comparing an Octavia, August Vintage Cushion and Jubilee. That might give you a good idea of what you like the best. Each will have a different look, but they are all beautiful. A Jubilee will perform very similar to a round, the AV Cushions have big flashes of light and fire with an antiquey appearance and you can see what the Octavia''s can do--lots of fire out of a step cut with a unique look.

natyloo

Rough_Rock
I love the high crown, I''m thinking that I''d be more inclined to choose a more rectangular stone though because my hands are so small (hence I have tiny fingers that might look stubbier w/a more square stone?? am i being overly critical here!?)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 10:28:09 PM
Author: natyloo
I love the high crown, I''m thinking that I''d be more inclined to choose a more rectangular stone though because my hands are so small (hence I have tiny fingers that might look stubbier w/a more square stone?? am i being overly critical here!?)
Yes!
9.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
IMO smaller fingers look much better with smaller looking stones - it''s about proportions. But I can''t tell any woman THAT.
3.gif

But the suggestion to contact Jon for a video sounds like a good idea. A rectangularish cushion might work as well. IN the mean time scout around for ring photos that you think will look good on your finger.

natyloo

Rough_Rock
well, if I can't upgrade to a more rectangular stone, is there a way I could set my round stone in pave's or something to give the illusion of a rectangular stone?

The setting I love is like this one:

http://www.since1910.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/thin-micro-pave-diamond-setting-ad4600-set-1366.aspx

Is this reasonably priced???

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny, if I may ask ... what camera? Those shots are just breath taking.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw shucks, thanks Rhino.
The colors are from placing the Octavia in flowers.

My gear:
Nikon D200 body
Nikon PB-6 Bellows
Nikon PK-13 extension ring (needed to mate the D200 to the bellows)
30-year old micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 manual focus lens

I love using my old Nikkor lenses.
They are smaller lighter, cheaper than the new lenses and razor sharp.
Plus they produce a larger circle of light than new lenses for digitals because the old 35mm film frame was larger than today's digital CCD.
All lenses are sharpest in the middle so my D200 digital body is only using the uber-sharp center of the light from the old lens.

The 105mm lens is so cool because at full magnification the diamond is 10 inches away from the front of the lens so you get less obstruction and you see less of that nasty black lens-reflection in the diamond.
Also it is easy to get light into the front of the diamond.
My other micro-Nikkor lens, the 55mm f/2.8, has to be right on the diamond so the diamond reflects more of the black lens.

The bellows allows additional magnification and the lens is engineered to be separated from the body like this without losing resolution.

There are more pics her starting on the bottom of page 3 of this thread.
Plus it is fun to read the PS community's reaction to the Octavia. CLICK HERE

hmnext.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I think the Jubilee is very sparkly, and it has better spread than the other cuts mentioned.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
I am definitely not an expert when it comes to diamonds but my jeweller has these diamonds (http://www.flanders-cuts.se/en/) and they have an amazing brilliance.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I''ve got the same lens sitting on my old (very old) 35mm SLR manual-everything camera... it really does take amazing closeups, though I''ve never used it for anything but good ol'' 35mm film.

Natyloo is there any way you can try on some of these different cuts? They''re all square/rectangularish but it can be so very hard to tell what''s really going to look good on your hand and what isn''t. I know I''ve been surprised sometimes by that. (For example, I have always drooled over these gorgeous pierced, engraved antique eternity bands- but guess what? That style for some reason looks terrible on me- every single one I''ve tried on just looks
14.gif
... but they sure look pretty in a showcase!)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2009 10:12:49 PM
Author: kenny
There is a new asscher cut that IMHO gives off sparkle that rivals or beats the best rounds.
I just bought one.
It is called Octavia.
I took these pics below.
Like other asschers they do face up smaller than a round of the same carat weight though.

Christmas night we were on the freeway and held it up next to a Whiteflash ACA and pointed them at the headlights of the cars behind us.
The Octavia was every bit as exploding with colors as the super-ideal cut round ACA.

The PS vendor GOG carries them:

Click Here for Octavias
Kenny - your picture taking skills are awesome! Just beautiful!

2nd2None

Rough_Rock
Get a Radiant cut if you are looking for high brilliance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results