shape
carat
color
clarity

Which cost/is worth more $ your CAR or your RING?

which is it?

• The car

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • The ring

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Thought this would be a fun thread to start since my hubby commented on how my ring cost more than his car LOL!

So which is it....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My car cost about $4,000 more than the ring. I''d rather put it into the ring, though . . .

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Are referring to the cost of the diamond alone, or the cost including the setting???
31.gif

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I have an old used car (Toyota camry...will last forever) that I got back in college. So, the purchase price of the ring was ~2x the purchase price of the car. But, if you went by the value of the car today, probably closer to 3-4x =)

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 8:35:58 PM
Author: CrookedRock
Are referring to the cost of the diamond alone, or the cost including the setting???
31.gif
Everything, including the setting and wedding band if they were a set!
28.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 8:35:42 PM
Author: Haven
My car cost about $4,000 more than the ring. I''d rather put it into the ring, though . . .
Same here
31.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Probably my ring at this point. I plan on keeping my car until it explodes.
9.gif

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, fun thread! Ring costs more than my car and sadly including hubby''s....

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 8:51:34 PM
Author: LegacyGirl
9.gif

Me too
9.gif
... since that means no carpayment and I can get a little extra jewelry
31.gif
31.gif

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
legacy, I''m with you on that...

Legacyscar.JPG

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
heh heh my RING!

Diamonds last longer!
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ack! We''re paying more for the car in total ... but its FINANCED, unlike the ring! They''re probably WORTH about the same now but the car is depreciating faster ... HA!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 9:03:31 PM
Author: Sparkles22

9.gif

Me too
9.gif
31.gif
31.gif
I want a house and I have law school loans to pay off and a wedding to pay for!!
9.gif

I really hope my car lasts another 10 years. I''d love to have a new car but I really just don''t want the expense. Hopefully in another 10 years they will be running cleaner and maybe not using gas at all (one can hope).

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Bought the car just over 2.5 years ago for $21k driveaway. Insurance replacement value is now just over $16k.

Got the ring 3.5 years ago and paid just over $8k for it. Valuation for insurance purposes is $12k

Give it a few more years and my ring will be worth more than the car but but hopefully by then I will have a new car

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 9:00:24 PM
Author: Snooper
Haha, fun thread! Ring costs more than my car and sadly including hubby's....

hehe, same here. But, hubby is getting ready to upgrade his car, which will cost more than my ring so i don't feel so bad
12.gif

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
Definitely my rings are worth more!! Both E-rings and wedding ring!! My husband always jokes when I say I drive a piece of crap that no one with nice cars has rocks like i do, lol. Give me jewelry over a car any day!!! :)
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sore subject in the Kaleigh household. Not about the ring, it's all good. Hubby's car broke down, 2003 Escalade needs a new transmission. I said we have to fix it, we need it to haul kids to college and our stuff up to Nantucket. But he says he has a plan to fix it and buy a Porshe 911. I said I will call 911 if he has the nerve to buy one.
29.gif

I did buy him a 1969 280 SL for our 20th anniversary. I was hurt at first but after thinking about it, it really isn't a practical car. I made my argument that he should sell it and buy what he wants.. He said he can't sell it, it's his passion he loves that car. Then turned around and asked me when did I become so practical?? Oh MY don't get me started, as this is the one who was cringing about money, the stock market. And no it's not a mid life crisis. I wish, that would be easier.
20.gif
Rant over...
3.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 9:34:39 PM
Author: decodelighted
Ack! We''re paying more for the car in total ... but its FINANCED, unlike the ring! They''re probably WORTH about the same now but the car is depreciating faster ... HA!

That''s the thing. Diamonds retain their value. Cars on the other hand...not so much.

My car is the car I got when I was 16! I have never thought to get a new one. I am hoping to drive it until the wheels fall off (or until DH becomes a lawyer and can purchase a new one for me). I dunno though, I will probably still drive it. I am not much of a car person. That being said, I suppose they would be worth nearly the same by now.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
The car definitely cost more than my ring and even with its depreciating value, it''s probably worth more...but I love, love, love driving around in it, which is good b/c I''m in it every day - and it definitely has more practical value than the ring. And, I pay for my car (this one is my first) so I''m very proud of my wheels.

But my ring has seriously more sentimental value because it''s a gift from DH. Plus, the ring is paid for, so there''s probably something to be said for that! Seeing the $$ detract from my account every month can be a little depressing.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never thought about it before but my ring is worth more.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha-my ring is definitely worth more at this point! I have a Toyota Camry and I also plan to drive it for as long as possible...I''m just not that into cars!

I think my car actually has some sort of crash magnet on it, because it''s been hit (and run) THREE separate times! I park on the street most of the time and people seem to really like smashing my car and driving away! Plus I''ve knocked the passenger mirror off myself on three separate occasions.
12.gif

I actually don''t think I''ll ever have a car that costs much more than my ring...I''m a big believer in never buying new and since I''m not really into cars I''m totally cheap when it comes to them!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 9:13:38 PM
Author: coatimundi
heh heh my RING!

Diamonds last longer!
3.gif
That''s my point LOL, somehow others think I''m crazy (not my PS friends thou
30.gif
) since I can''t "drive" my ring
20.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 11:01:08 PM
Author: thing2of2
Hahaha-my ring is definitely worth more at this point! I have a Toyota Camry and I also plan to drive it for as long as possible...I''m just not that into cars!

I think my car actually has some sort of crash magnet on it, because it''s been hit (and run) THREE separate times! I park on the street most of the time and people seem to really like smashing my car and driving away! Plus I''ve knocked the passenger mirror off myself on three separate occasions.
12.gif

I actually don''t think I''ll ever have a car that costs much more than my ring...I''m a big believer in never buying new and since I''m not really into cars I''m totally cheap when it comes to them!
How scary! At least you weren''t in it. I''m with you I''m not really that into cars, it just has to be reliable and safe.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 9:37:23 PM

Date: 2/20/2008 9:03:31 PM
Author: Sparkles22

9.gif

Me too
9.gif
31.gif
31.gif
I want a house and I have law school loans to pay off and a wedding to pay for!!
9.gif

I really hope my car lasts another 10 years. I''d love to have a new car but I really just don''t want the expense. Hopefully in another 10 years they will be running cleaner and maybe not using gas at all (one can hope).
I have school loans too
39.gif
, and not just a little either. Oh well, at least that debt doesn''t look too bad when you are buying a house, especially if you are working in the field. I graduate in May so the loan repayment hasn''t totally kicked in yet, I am dreading when it does
7.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. It might be a tie. But if one is ahead I'd think the car-- at least until March, then with depreciation on the car, I'd say the ring. Interesting thread though. LOL.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring is worth more, but I drive my grandmother''s hand-me-down car. If I were buying the two at the same time, I''d likely put more into the car.

Does that make me a bad PSer?
12.gif

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
My car, unfortunetly. My fault though. I was going through a period of time when I just wasn''t thinking straight and decided to get a sexy little sports car. If I could re-do it, I would lease something for really cheap or would''ve driven my old car until its death- just so I could have extra $$$$ for bling. AND right after I got my car I ended up with two large door dings. A year later it had front-end damage....don''t forget to add on two more recent door dings
29.gif

I was actually talking to FI about trading it in for a cheap lease the other day. I swear I saw some kind of decent mid-range car leasing for 189 per month...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock

Varoom Varoom.

But I think I understand how and why. You see, when you enter the mall and forget where you park, you don''t really loose your car, you just don''t know where you left it. Where as on the other hand...(yada yada yada)

So you don''t toss out a car, Or I should say...not yet anyway

11.gif
Eureka!

Digress...I''ll say. To answer the OP...MORE $$$$ ON OUR CARS

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
The car, most definitely. My ring is just a platinum lucida band, but it''s so going to be upgraded. If I have to move, I''m getting something out of the deal too.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results