color
clarity

Which CBI? Size vs. cost

Which one?

• Total voters

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As it says, I am trying to figure out which CBI to buy.

If you followed my other thread you'll know that I bought a .41 D/VS2 CBI a few weeks ago. I love it, but realize that I absolutely don't need/appreciate such a high color (I suspected this, but it was nice to verify with my own eyes). Honestly, all I notice is the sparkle.

So I am now trying to decide which of these 3 stones to exchange it for:

Option 1 is .40 J https://wolfcbi.com/diamonds/171. Pros: cheapest of the options, about $300+ less than the one I bought, and not noticeably smaller (.40 vs .41). Cons: smallest of the options, but not by enough that I think I would notice IRL.

Option 2 is is .43 I https://wolfcbi.com/diamonds/176. Pros: about $200 less than the stone I bought. Cons: None (except maybe that it isn't as big as the .53).

Option 3 is .53 F https://wolfcbi.com/diamonds/28. Pros: biggest of the options. Cons: $600 more than the stone I already bought.

Color aside, since I know I'll love any of them, would you want to pay more to get more size, or stick with the smaller size and save $$? I know this is a personal choice and I'll be happy regardless, but wanted to know what others would do. Thanks!

I guess it depends on how significant $600 is for you. If it’s something you can easily swing and won’t miss, go for the biggest one. Is there an option to find a ~0.5 stone in a lower colour? FWIW I would be taking either the 0.4J (because I’m not colour sensitive, and I think I could put that $300 towards something else) or looking for a 0.55-0.6 J or K.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it depends on how significant $600 is for you. If it’s something you can easily swing and won’t miss, go for the biggest one. Is there an option to find a ~0.5 stone in a lower colour? FWIW I would be taking either the 0.4J (because I’m not colour sensitive, and I think I could put that $300 towards something else) or looking for a 0.55-0.6 J or K.

I was hoping for a .5+ lower color, but Wink said that they don't have any coming up, and the lower colors in that size sold quicker than they expected. Otherwise I'd be doing the same :)

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
If you do not care for color why pay for an F? Since there is no option for 0.5 in I color then I would choose 0.43 I - if you must choose CBI. I am not sure how significant the size it is for you. I prioritize size over color and would look for something close to 0.5 in I elsewhere if CBI does not have it.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think it is likely you will upgrade at some point I’d go for the largest because the $600 will be credited towards a future stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think it is likely you will upgrade at some point I’d go for the largest because the $600 will be credited towards a future stone.

Good point! I don't think I'll upgrade. My goal is to make a bezel ring similar to the one DK made for RainyDaze. She had a square stone around 5.1mm and I really like the proportions on her hand. We are a similar finger size, so the .53 is a hair bigger than the one she had (in mm size), and the .43 is smaller.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I'd go for the I. J is too low for me, and I can't get past the inclusion on the F even though I know it is eye clean. (I'd been thinking about a pendant so have gone through the Wolf options already! I'd really want a G or H, but alas, nothing.)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do not care for color why pay for an F? Since there is no option for 0.5 in I color then I would choose 0.43 I - if you must choose CBI. I am not sure how significant the size it is for you. I prioritize size over color and would look for something close to 0.5 in I elsewhere if CBI does not have it.

The .53 F is priced lower than the other .5ish options they have due to it being an SI1. I would definitely prefer a lower color, since it would save $$ , but unfortunately they don't have any in stock.

Reactions: Kya
I was hoping for a .5+ lower color, but Wink said that they don't have any coming up, and the lower colors in that size sold quicker than they expected. Otherwise I'd be doing the same :)

Must it be CBI, or would another super ideal vendor do? If you don’t plan to upgrade then perhaps checking the inventory at BG or WF might also help.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Must it be CBI, or would another super ideal vendor do? If you don’t plan to upgrade then perhaps checking the inventory at BG or WF might also help.

Good point. I'll do that, although I am about 95% sure I'll stick with CBI. I just love their stones and Wink :) but recognize the need to sometimes be pragmatic haha.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Just throwing it out there for you to have more options.

Ask BG for images if you are interested. He has some more stones in the size you are looking. All the diamonds presented are cheaper than the 0.53 F one from CBI.

Last edited:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
As it says, I am trying to figure out which CBI to buy.

If you followed my other thread you'll know that I bought a .41 D/VS2 CBI a few weeks ago. I love it, but realize that I absolutely don't need/appreciate such a high color (I suspected this, but it was nice to verify with my own eyes). Honestly, all I notice is the sparkle.

So I am now trying to decide which of these 3 stones to exchange it for:

Option 1 is .40 J https://wolfcbi.com/diamonds/171. Pros: cheapest of the options, about $300+ less than the one I bought, and not noticeably smaller (.40 vs .41). Cons: smallest of the options, but not by enough that I think I would notice IRL.

Option 2 is is .43 I https://wolfcbi.com/diamonds/176. Pros: about $200 less than the stone I bought. Cons: None (except maybe that it isn't as big as the .53).

Option 3 is .53 F https://wolfcbi.com/diamonds/28. Pros: biggest of the options. Cons: $600 more than the stone I already bought.

Color aside, since I know I'll love any of them, would you want to pay more to get more size, or stick with the smaller size and save $$? I know this is a personal choice and I'll be happy regardless, but wanted to know what others would do. Thanks!

The fire display for each stone is amazing, no questions regarding that.

I personally do not have a problem with colour (I can see it though and it doesn’t bother me) so I like the J for the price!

The largest stone has an inclusion on the table….will you see it, and will it bother you?

There is something about the middle stone that appeals to me more than the other two…just a tad more fire perhaps? Or, the dimensions maybe, not sure what it is.

Ask Wink which one is the best performer?
Good luck:wavey:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs I voted for the .53 ct F! If you are okay with the increased cost, I think the bump in size is definitely worth it, and will get you the proportions of the ring you are looking for. I am so excited to see the ring!! It is going to be awesome. I would love to bezel a smaller super ideal for a right hand ring one day.

(And I know you don't care about the color as much, but an F, SI stone is my ideal combo! I like the cooler colors and really, really hate paying for high clarity haha)

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I usually will always pay for colorless and larger carat, however the F has some very visible inclusions on the image. Not sure if it would be eye clean in real life, and visible inclusions really bother me...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The .53 F because it’s the size you want as long as the cost isn’t a hardship. And as long as it is eye clean for you.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
0.53 for sure. Bigger is better at that size IMO ;-) If only to appreciate the beauty of the stone.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am colour sensitive so just choice would have been F, but assuming that budget isn’t going to over stretch you.

and I see you went with the F

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
okay post a ton more pics when you get the new one! Yay!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see the .53! Should be gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results