shape
carat
color
clarity

Which brand/no brand?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

matthewb

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I''m relatively new to the forum and diamonds in general.

I''m in the market for an engagement ring. After reading a bunch, I can honestly say that I''m thoroughly perplexed by the sheer amount of information on the internet and especially these forums.

Can someone give me an opinion as to why brand-name diamonds are so popular, and how they would rank them or if they wouldn''t use any of them?

THANK YOU!!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Best review

Also good

Notable mention: WF''s ACA & Infinity ... both worth serious consideration in any comparison. If $ is tight, look close, and determine if modest premium is worth it. If money is not that tight...seriously consider investing in the vetted branding, and pay the man.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 11:10:17 PM
Author:matthewb
Hello all. I'm relatively new to the forum and diamonds in general.

I'm in the market for an engagement ring. After reading a bunch, I can honestly say that I'm thoroughly perplexed by the sheer amount of information on the internet and especially these forums.

Can someone give me an opinion as to why brand-name diamonds are so popular, and how they would rank them or if they wouldn't use any of them?

THANK YOU!!!

Do yourself a favor and compare a non-branded ideal to a branded stone. I could not tell the difference b/w a branded H&A and an AGS0 and GIA ex (hca < 2). Therefore, to me it wasn't worth the huge premium these branded stones command (and it is pretty huge -- for me, $4000 - 7000, or ~25-33%). Maybe that won't be the case for you but every one of my friends was in the same boat I was.

Problems with my strategy include: (1) tons of searching to find a great cut in a sea of steep-deeps (et al.); (2) less information provided on the stone; (3) some degree of self trust is needed (tough to come by in this uncertain territory).

Best of luck -- I decided to look on my own and save some money -- I'll roll to a reputable appraiser to eval the stone when it arrives. If it doesn't work out, I'll be back to square 1 and only out $150 or so.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all. I''m relatively new to the forum and diamonds in general.

I''m in the market for an engagement ring. After reading a bunch, I can honestly say that I''m thoroughly perplexed by the sheer amount of information on the internet and especially these forums.

Can someone give me an opinion as to why brand-name diamonds are so popular, and how they would rank them or if they wouldn''t use any of them?

THANK YOU!!!
Erm, because they have marketing investments behind them?

It also depends on what you mean by "brand-name". Infinity Diamonds is a brand name, but I wouldn''t call it popular (outside PS), and it cuts standard but extremely well crafted rounds and princesses. The Leo diamond is a custom cut (and in my view average), but it''s a brand enjoying much greater public awareness

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
brand smand
buy the diamond and the dealer not the name.
Be it branded or not compare the performance of the diamond and the dealer then go from there.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 4:31:44 AM
Author: strmrdr
brand smand
Be it branded or not compare the performance of the diamond and the dealer then go from there.
Ditto

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 4:31:44 AM
Author: strmrdr
brand smand
Well said!
36.gif

matthewb

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the help everyone! I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a Leo diamond, or one that has a unique cut. Is there really a benefit in light return with a higher number of facets?

I also did some more research and looked at a Hearts on Fire diamond, but as I read on this forum, I went to Whiteflash and saw that they had some good looking diamonds in their top category. Has anyone had a good experience with buying online? Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks again!!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 11:41:57 PM
Author: Regular Guy
If money is not that tight...seriously consider investing in the vetted branding, and pay the man.
Oh, I don't know. I'd say if money is tight, all the more reason for paying for the vetting. As if there is any good time to get taken, this is not a good time. Since when is vetting not worth an appropriate fee.

"pay the man"! That's good! LOL!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hello all. I'm relatively new to the forum and diamonds in general.

I'm in the market for an engagement ring. After reading a bunch, I can honestly say that I'm thoroughly perplexed by the sheer amount of information on the internet and especially these forums.

Can someone give me an opinion as to why brand-name diamonds are so popular, and how they would rank them or if they wouldn't use any of them?

THANK YOU!!!
Hello. If by brand name you mean "Whiteflash," the brand "name" is valuable because they sell a patented cut for RB (ACA), so when you buy it, you know what you are getting. Or the brand name is worth it because they don't sell drop shipped diamonds. Or because their business practices are completely reputable. That kind of a "brand name" is worth it, to me. If the brand name is "Tiffany & Co" and we're talking about RB's, that kind of a "brand name" is not worth it, to me. I suppose it depends on whom you trust to do your vetting and for what, if you are considering a brand name.

Gemology, jewelery, diamonds, these are very complicated subjects. You don't need to be an expert in any one of them, nor a professional, nor have a professional's knowledge to be an educated consumer. You only have to know *enough* to make the right decision for you. Or more if you're interested.

There is no reason to be perplexed. You only need to spend some time finding out what the parameters and options are, and you've certainly come to the right place.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 12:55:17 AM
Author: matthewb
Thanks so much for all the help everyone! I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a Leo diamond, or one that has a unique cut. Is there really a benefit in light return with a higher number of facets?

I also did some more research and looked at a Hearts on Fire diamond, but as I read on this forum, I went to Whiteflash and saw that they had some good looking diamonds in their top category. Has anyone had a good experience with buying online? Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks again!!!
No.

There are a few vendors that carry branded stones, along with some very well cut non branded. Branded stones from the vendors here mean a real consistancy in cut, and some want/like that, others don''t care. It''s a matter of preference. Branded out in the real world doesn''t mean as much, except a higher price tag.

I have bought from both Goodoldgold and Whiteflash, and can''t recommend either enough. But there are other vendors I would not hesitate to buy from in the future. Such as James Allen, High Performance Diamonds, and Nice Ice. (for rounds)

As long as you do your homework, which it sounds like you are, you should be fine.
28.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
From the extra facets, you get smaller "pinoint" sparkles, not really more light return. Personally, I like the bigger flashes of a regular H&A better. So do a lot of people:)

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Matthew,

The problem with your question is that everybody replies to it from its own experience, and that many people understand the meaning of the word ''brand'' in a very personal way.

It is not clear which brands you are referring to when you are stating popularity, but a general reason for the popularity of brands (in all products) is that they offer a means of identification.

In diamonds, there are many different kinds of brands, and each deserves a separate explanation.

One is the type of brands, that offer a consistent product, possible in any kind of quality and often in a standard-shape, but which is heavily advertised and as such is identified as a brand. Very often, these brands demand a hefty premium, but some consumers like this since the advertising makes them identify this product as superior.

Then, you have the type of brands, where the consistent top-quality is the main brand-attribute. Premiums on these stones can vary, but generally, consumers like such brands because they identify with the quality of the product.

Also, you have the type of brands, very often store-brands, where price is the main brand-attribute. Very often, the brand is actually the image of a lower price for the same product, and these brands will try to promote themselves as the same or almost the same as the top-quality for a lower price. Naturally, such a brand is popular because the customer identifies with that message.

Finally, there are the special brands, where the brand-attribute is a unique shape, often described as superior. Again, these are often heavily advertised and carry a hefty premium. I even wonder whether such brands are really popular, but for sure, there are many attempts at promoting them which might create the image of popularity.

I hope that this kind of answers your question.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results