shape
carat
color
clarity

which? any one got any others?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

myolsiemse

Rough_Rock
im looking for an asshcer any where between 2 and 3 cts. here are a few that i am looking at and i need our opinions becasue this is a big purchance and i want it to be the right one

price is no issue and i am looking for the best quality for the size i want.

she has a size 8.5 finger sometimes a 8.25 so i was thinking that size would also look amazing on her hand. weve been together a very long time and i want to make that wait well worth it.

here are the stones i was looking at, and if you guys have any more please feel free to send them my way.

one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1065495
two:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00964824&filter_id=0
three:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00926164&filter_id=0
four:
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/c61bf0e78c56d301fbbfeccc23839053/id/12507173/sz/150

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My picks are the JA and ERD stones. BlueNile does not provide any pictures of the real stone.

JA: Ask for an Idealscope and ASET pictures
ERD: Ask for an Idealscope and ASET pictures AND a magnified picture of the actual stone

With asschers, you really need to check the pattern. Storm is the asscher expert around here so I hope he finds this thread.

ETA
Ask both vendors for the crown height %.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to say WOW, can''t wait to see this bad boy! :) 2-3 ct. Asscher, I''m DROOLING! I do agree that I would not go with BN.......I''ve had a decent amount of experience buying through them and I can say I''m not going to anymore. My tiny little "signature ideal cut" pendant (.59ct), GIA I SI1 is NOT eye clean as they assured me AND when I scored that puppy on the HCA I wanted to cry-----so much for the signature ideal cut. I only say all that to make a point of why I would not trust their advice, especially on such a big purchase and on such a tricky cut.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS!

I just wanted to add in case you weren't aware, Asscher shapes can look small for their carat weight, so a 2 ct Asscher could look smaller than a 2 ct round for example, so you might want to look at Asschers in person if this is at all possible, to get an idea of the size for weight, especially as you mention your GF takes a larger ring size.

myolsiemse

Rough_Rock
ok thanks for the BlueNile adice

i really do hope that whoever Storm is does find this cause i want this to be the perfect stone since the is the original and only engagement ring shes gonna get and i want it to be perfect and to make her happy.
its funny she doesnt know anything about this she has no clue what im doing...

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Wowzers! I want a budget that gets me one of those puppies! Your gal is one lucky lady!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 2:44:03 PM
Author: Harleigh
Wowzers! I want a budget that gets me one of those puppies! Your gal is one lucky lady!
YOWZA!
3.gif
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!
10.gif

That''s some budget!
22.gif

myolsiemse

Rough_Rock
i know about how asschers have a smaller face than most stones, which is fine, because i know thats the stone she loves, shes unique that way. the smaller face is also why im going towards the big sizes.
you guys dont think one that big would look funny on her hand do you? i mean i want it to look significant but i dont want it to look fake you know?

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
If cost is really no object, have you considered a Royal Asscher? The proportions are done according to exacting specifications so you don''t have to worry so much about getting a dud.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 3:01:48 PM
Author: myolsiemse
i know about how asschers have a smaller face than most stones, which is fine, because i know thats the stone she loves, shes unique that way. the smaller face is also why im going towards the big sizes.
you guys dont think one that big would look funny on her hand do you? i mean i want it to look significant but i dont want it to look fake you know?
She''s got a ring size of 8.25 / 8.50. I think the asscher diamond size you picked will be PERFECT !!!

I think it will definitely look "significant" and not fake at all!!!

Can''t wait to see what Storm has to say!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I wear a size 9 ring. I found my *dream* ring that is a 2.8ct asscher in a platinum paved setting. In trying on the ring, it was the exact right proportion to what I would wear (if money was no object!)

Good Luck!

And, I agree....YOWZA!

OOH! Look! Something Shiny!
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.engagement-ring-mountings.com/millimeter_to_carat_equivalent_chart.html

Will be useful for you.

Is there a particular reason you want an asscher (not that I''m not drooling at the thought of a three carat asscher)?

Also, I would recommend goodoldgold as the best vendor for your stone. They will do a search for your exact parameters and give you a TON of information.

James Allen would be another I''d work with. But really you only need one such vendor as they will be looking at the same data base.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since we are discussing a generous budget and a fancy shaped stone. I would just like to introduce the idea of a three carat cushion set like this. ERD (engagement Rings Direct) is the vendor for cushions. Setting by Leon Mage. This cushion is 3 carats.

Lots of finger coverage here.

*SWOON*

Leon 5 stone dream5.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Other options... Emerald Cut set East west with two Trapazoids on either side. Also Leon Mage.
EASTWEST.jpg

Emerald set East West with Traps. Also a large asscher set that way. Stones by IceMine (in DC metro area) and settings be Leon Mage.

LM%20montage.JPG

myolsiemse

Rough_Rock
i would prefer a royal asscher i spent some time while at work checking out the differences between royal and generic and i definetly want the royal, thing is arent they hard to find?

we both want an asscher she currently has a 1/2 ct round brilliant as her promise ring (yea i gave her one back in highschool) and i dont know to both of us we just think its too ordinary, beautiful stones but too ordinary. i want to give her something that will catch the eyes of everyone and especially her, so when we went browsing we asked to see an asscher and we both knew it was the stone for us. and i was thinking that the size range that i choose would be something that she would be able too look down at 25 years down the road and still be like wow.

we have seen that daniel k but im not sure what setting she would want my job is the stone.any one got setting advice?

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
For a 3 carat Royal Asscher, I''d just use simple double claw prongs and basket setting with a micropave shank. I have a smaller Royal Asscher and chose a halo setting to reinforce the shape of the stone; prongs would have deprived it of its cut corners and made it appear more square than octagonal. I don''t suppose you''d have the same problem. To me the most important thing with setting asscher-cuts is to define their shapes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You want an RA? There are a few people on here that have purchased them... just post a thread for "ROYAL ASSCHER VENDOR RECOMENDATIONS" and I''m sure they will chime in. As for settings.

I would let your fiance go to a Daniel K dealer and look at their settings, and also look on Leon Mage''s site www.artofplatinum.com. Those would be the best setting recommendations I would have.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I agree that Fanboy''s suggestion would be lovely.

For her finger size... I''d prefer the Daniel K Split Crown with an RA in the center.

pearldksidetry5.jpg

pearlmansdanielkcushion1.jpg

pearlmansdanielkcush2.jpg

pearldanielkcush3.jpg

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Daniel K won''t set client-supplied diamonds. But that doesn''t mean you can''t look at his site for inspiration . . .

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 6:44:49 PM
Author: Gypsy
While I agree that Fanboy''s suggestion would be lovely.

For her finger size... I''d prefer the Daniel K Split Crown with an RA in the center.

pearldksidetry5.jpg

pearlmansdanielkcushion1.jpg

pearlmansdanielkcush2.jpg

pearldanielkcush3.jpg

DITTO!!!! GREAT suggestion Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 6:46:52 PM
Author: fanboy
Daniel K won''t set client-supplied diamonds. But that doesn''t mean you can''t look at his site for inspiration . . .
Not entirely true. There are people on here who have had their stones set in Daniel K settings. The stone just has to be approved by them, from what I understand.

Also... Leon could use that for inpiration and come up with something fabulous. For example Pokey wanted a Daniel K Union Setting, but wanted to set a colored stone with it. Do a search for "Pokey Special" to see Leon''s interpretation of the Daniel K Union. It''s breathe taking.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 7:10:44 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 7/25/2007 6:57:44 PM
Author: InlovewithJHK
This is actually under your budget and might be not what you are looking for but I think this ring is amazing!

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/072PO1/8/
great idea, you really cannot go wrong with a beautiful leon mege ring. However, it may not be able to be sized to an 8.25 with the pave on the sides.
Thats what I thought at first too but if you look at the large picture, the pave is only 3/4 (or more) around but there is a small section that is just metal that I''m sure you could resize!
30.gif

myolsiemse

Rough_Rock
i have seen the daniel k in person, the split one that you guys posted. and no doubt about it , that ring is beatiful, but i didnt get a wow out of it. im visiting a few local people today to see what stones they have, because i want to get this project started so that it would be ready for when i want to propose.

i was thinking to go with a simple setting with stones on it, but i really want to get a WOW from it, not a tin one though becasue i want it to be a bit thicker than her ring now. any one got any hints?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2007 12:49:15 PM
Author: myolsiemse
i have seen the daniel k in person, the split one that you guys posted. and no doubt about it , that ring is beatiful, but i didnt get a wow out of it. im visiting a few local people today to see what stones they have, because i want to get this project started so that it would be ready for when i want to propose.

i was thinking to go with a simple setting with stones on it, but i really want to get a WOW from it, not a tin one though becasue i want it to be a bit thicker than her ring now. any one got any hints?
I''m still not sure exactly what it is you''re looking for, but I''ll post a couple from someone who adores Asschers and they wowed me.
9.gif
30.gif

loveyasscher08.jpg

je%20visit%201006%20d.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, that second setting (that Ellen posted) from Joe Escobar is fabulous for a larger asscher!!!

I''d certainly recommend contacting Jonathan at Good Old Gold to ask him to find you a stone. Don''t get totally hooked on it having to be a RA either. There won''t be a plentiful supply of stones in your size range, so you need to be open to other possibilities as long as they are excellent.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/25/2007 7:28:06 PM

Date: 7/25/2007 7:10:44 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 7/25/2007 6:57:44 PM
This is actually under your budget and might be not what you are looking for but I think this ring is amazing!

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/072PO1/8/
great idea, you really cannot go wrong with a beautiful leon mege ring. However, it may not be able to be sized to an 8.25 with the pave on the sides.
Thats what I thought at first too but if you look at the large picture, the pave is only 3/4 (or more) around but there is a small section that is just metal that I''m sure you could resize!
30.gif
With all that pave on the sides, I don''t think it would be safe to size that ring up that much. I don''t think that is a realistic option. You might could size a plain band up that much but probably not one with pave.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s my pick:
Courtesy of Hest88''s sister''s ring

ringappr.JPG

Crop%20of%20IMGP0798.jpg
Re-exposure%20of%20Resize%20of%20IMGP0797.JPG

Resize%20of%20IMGP0774.JPG

Resize%20of%20IMGP0807.JPG

fligringclose.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results