shape
carat
color
clarity

where to have someone machine a ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

floatinghead

Rough_Rock
Hello,

i have a design for a ring that I would like made for an engagement ring. I have designed the ring and have a 3d model that I would prefer to have machined out of platinum, not cast. My question is : does anybody know of a source to machine out ring designs from 3d data?? I know of sources that do this, but I would prefer a jeweler that is capable with these technolgies. Are there people out there that do this???

thanks,

BB

floatinghead

Rough_Rock
does anybody have any info here?? i can't imagine the entire industry does everything the old fashioned way?? If anyone could forward a link or example of someone that does this, that would be great!

B

sirene

Rough_Rock
How about this jeweller? I've never used him, but I remember reading his posts on DT awhile back...

http://www.digitaljeweler.net/

Hope that helps!

floatinghead

Rough_Rock
thanks for the info. i'll check it out!

BB

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/6/2003 7:40:28 PM floatinghead wrote:

i can't imagine the entire industry does everything the old fashioned way?? ----------------

Hi! Yes, almost, 99.99%, believe it or not! I have never even heard the question before you came! I had a jewelry set made by a puzzled prototype lab back in Bucharest. It is THAT bad! By the way, where outside the jewelry business did you have in mind to go? I am no longer living in Romania, and I was wandering where should I look for simmilar technical capabilities (type of business) in the US or the Eu (between which I constantly move)...

Oh, by the way. 'Digitaljeweler' does not carve plat. I have no idea who does but I know another jeweler who has machined rings made for his own line and could perhaps tell you the trick. The guy is Mr Lauren from Diamondsbylauren.com. He answered my questions friendly enough...

floatinghead

Rough_Rock
I am in the product development business and know a number of groups that can build very high quality prototypes from 3d computer models. The problem is, they aren't jewelers, and i assume they would not be familiar with setting diamonds and the details involved. thats why I was hoping to find someone in the trade that also has the capabilities that I'm looking for. A machined ring would be much stronger than one that is cast, and shouldn't really be that expensive because the process is actually quite efficient. I might try and approach one of these companies to see if they might do this. I will post any information that I find out!

thanks,

baron

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would greately appreciate such info!

What I suspect you may findis that you have to get your own design modeled with the help of a jeweler who canadvice about setting, etc, and get your 'prototype' done by a firm completely outside the jewelry business. In this case, you will have to discover how much platinum you have to pay for and how much will end up in your ring... This process is duable. If the jeweler in case is up to the adventure and especially accepts the idea that this is the only job is ever going to get from you no matter howmuch adverse argument he forwards. For example, jewelers working with titanium might be understanding or even have better info than you or I about such alternative jewelry technologies (why have I not mention this before?). Hope all works wellwith your ring: it will surely have a story embeded when ready!
2.gif

Since one more phone call does not seem to make much difference after all those you have always done, how about http://www.furthers.com/. They may use the method you are after for their Ti designs already...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results