shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to find vintage peices?

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
I've followed a few accounts on instagram lately that sell vintage pieces- I am wondering if anyone knows how to source pieces like this, or where they might find them to be able to resell? A lot of it is old Tiffany bands!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed a lot of IG sellers get their inventory from EBay.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They scoop their inventory right off of Ebay, as @YadaYadaYada has said.
And you can too. And you'll avoid the horrific IG markup.
Search your keywords, add your dollar limit, and surf away!

Last edited:

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
They scoop their inventory right off of Ebay.
And you can too. And you'll avoid the horrific IG markup.
Search your keywords, add your dollar limit, and surf away!

Thanks!! I guess i'll have to keep my eyes peeled :D

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!! I guess i'll have to keep my eyes peeled :D

I once was stalking a ring on Ebay that was selling for $45.00.
It was 10k, with an oval blue topaz and dark blue enameling detail.
I forgot to check back on it, and it sold. I was mad that I lost it!
Then it turned up on an IG'ers sale listing for $250.00!!!
I was so irritated, because it was not worth that much to begin with, and this IGer thinks her stuff is sooooo special.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, so aggravating when that happens, there was a ring on Etsy, old mine diamond with robin’s egg blue enamel in buttercup setting. I knew it was special but what am I going to do with it?

Well someone who has a store bought it and is selling it for $2500, she bought it for $375!!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
The other week I saw a tiny but- gorgeous omc diamond ring on ebay with no minimum. I had bid on it right before closing but once it went past $250, it was more than what i wanted to pay (wasn't my size anyway). It sold for around $300.

A few days later, it was back on ebay but with a buyout price of $300. What gives? Do sellers make auctions just to see how much people would pay so they get an idea of price?

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I think I know who your talking about and I have no clue how they get that many antique and vintage Tiffany bands. I personally didn’t think it was possible

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
I don't trust myself on ebay - I'm afraid I'm going to get scammed. Guess that could also happen with vintage sellers too, though.

Do you know of good vendors that are reasonable? I'm okay with them making a living. I mean, I prefer the better deal but if they do the work of authentication of the era, potential damage gems, etc. and stalking the auctions, I don't mind buying from them.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The other week I saw a tiny but- gorgeous omc diamond ring on ebay with no minimum. I had bid on it right before closing but once it went past $250, it was more than what i wanted to pay (wasn't my size anyway). It sold for around $300.

A few days later, it was back on ebay but with a buyout price of $300. What gives? Do sellers make auctions just to see how much people would pay so they get an idea of price?

Ebay gets a lot of Non-Paying Bidders. They probably waited a few days and relisted.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovetodream, I understand about EBay, it can be tricky to find a good deal that is also high quality.

For IG I like: Chelseagirl.NYC also 1122andco. Sincityfinds has nice pieces very reasonable but her items go quick so it’s best to have notifications on.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
@lovetodream, I understand about EBay, it can be tricky to find a good deal that is also high quality.

For IG I like: Chelseagirl.NYC also 1122andco. Sincityfinds has nice pieces very reasonable but her items go quick so it’s best to have notifications on.

Thanks @YadaYadaYada - do you have ebay vendors you trust?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @YadaYadaYada - do you have ebay vendors you trust?

Honestly I just buy when I find things I love, as long as the seller has excellent feedback and accepts returns. Both of the rings in my avatar came from EBay.

So to answer your question, I don’t buy from certain vendors on EBay.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sell and buy on eBay and non paying bidders are constant. So now I do buy it nows. That’s probably what happened. What size was the oec? I also don’t really have fave vendors just do what @YadaYadaYada does.

That is so crazy that people don't pay. I am glad you informed us of this. I was always suspicious of an item that I bid on, lost, and saw relisted soon after. Now I understand why this happens so often.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
That is so crazy that people don't pay. I am glad you informed us of this. I was always suspicious of an item that I bid on, lost, and saw relisted soon after. Now I understand why this happens so often.

Same here! I've never not paid for an item I bid on so I guess I assumed everyone else was this way. I have sold a few items on ebay (no jewelry, nothing high priced) and people usually always paid. I only had one exception where someone messaged me after using buyout that they actually couldn't afford it and requested I cancel their order. It was only the one time.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Same here! I've never not paid for an item I bid on so I guess I assumed everyone else was this way. I have sold a few items on ebay (no jewelry, nothing high priced) and people usually always paid. I only had one exception where someone messaged me after using buyout that they actually couldn't afford it and requested I cancel their order. It was only the one time.

I would say it happens at least 25% of the time for me. They just ghost you. And don’t respond to messages. Once I was selling a camera and I was really frustrated because there were two people in a war and the one who won didn’t pay. They finally did write saying they couldn’t afford it. So why bid it up?? And then when I offered it to the second person they didn’t want it anymore. So I relisted it. eBay is not helpful because you’re not allowed to leave negative feedback and I think that’s one reason why there are so many non-paying bidders. It doesn’t really affect them negatively. also if somebody has zero feedback you cannot do anything about it - in other words you can’t just limit to people with feedback. Many times zero feedback people don’t pay. The only thing you can do is report it and if a buyer has lots of reports eBay might prevent them from buying. I also am able to block people who have a report from bidding. If everyone on eBay did this, then it might make a difference.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I've seen many sellers put up disclaimers, saying the item was won by NPB, and never left the seller. They don't want buyers to be scared away and i'm sure people message them asking why it was relisted so soon, and whether it was returned.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say it happens at least 25% of the time for me. They just ghost you. And don’t respond to messages. Once I was selling a camera and I was really frustrated because there were two people in a war and the one who won didn’t pay. They finally did write saying they couldn’t afford it. So why bid it up?? And then when I offered it to the second person they didn’t want it anymore. So I relisted it. eBay is not helpful because you’re not allowed to leave negative feedback and I think that’s one reason why there are so many non-paying bidders. It doesn’t really affect them negatively. also if somebody has zero feedback you cannot do anything about it - in other words you can’t just limit to people with feedback. Many times zero feedback people don’t pay. The only thing you can do is report it and if a buyer has lots of reports eBay might prevent them from buying. I also am able to block people who have a report from bidding. If everyone on eBay did this, then it might make a difference.

Well that sux the kumera big time :(2
We have trade me here in NZ
ive never ever got a great deal but every body pays or you get negative ratings and probably banned if someone has a history of doing it
I once had a lady get really sh*tty with me when i had the flu real bad and was late paying
she got ultra nasty and threatened to report me going on how the package was taking up room in her hall* so in a fevered dilerouse state i paid her
when the item arrived (a vintage marble jewlery box) it was missing its G*d dam blo*dy hinge which she never mentioned in her listing the cow

* it was the size of a 1kg block of cheese - you would have thought it was a tea chest the fuss she was making

everyone else ive ever delt with were pretty reasonable

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results