shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to find precision cut lab red-pink rubies/sapphires?

milla

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I'm fairly new to all this, and was looking for some advice from you lovely people (my Googling doesn't seem to get me anywhere...) :)

I'm looking for an engagement ring - either an antique ring, or a new bespoke one.

For a bespoke ring, I'd consider a lab grown reddish pink sapphire/ruby. But cut seems very important in them - and so far I've had no luck tracking down excellent/precision cut lab gems! Is this an impossible task, and should I realistically switch into only considering well-cut mined sapphires/rubies?

Specifically I'm looking for:

Colour: I'm not too keen on the blood-red standard Chatham ruby nor a super hot-pink sapphire. I'd love something in between these shades, a nice vivid pinkish-red/reddish pink.

Glow/fluorescence (not too sure about the right terminology, sorry): Do lab stones have the same 'spark' as some mined gems do in this department?

Cushion/oval cut: Facing up around 5.5 mm x 6.5 mm with a good depth to width ratio (I understand 60-80% is ideal?) to prevent a 'window' effect. I think this would make them around 1.2-1.4 cts?

Also I've realised it's hard to look for coloured gems just based on online pictures (or even videos). I'm based in London UK and a lot of online (lab) gems seem to be shipping from the US or Canada. So extra bonus points if you know any London-based dealers for stones to see in person. :love:

I know this might sound impossible, but I haven't gotten far by myself...

I

Irving

Try contacting Jeff White, he's an excellent precision cutter. He has some lab-made gemstone slabs that he could cut for you. He's based in the US though, but he'd probably ship abroad. I don't know if he has lab-created ruby. You could also consider a spinel (whether natural or lab created) which would come in the color you're looking for and would cost less than a sapphire/ruby.

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
I’m having a mostly pinkish peach lab sapphire cut by Jeff White. He didn’t have pics of the stones from this rough but did of the rough. Definitely reach out to him bec his precision cutting looks amazing.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget and why do you want a lab stone in particular (is it cost or for ethical reasons?), just so we can help you look.

If you look for flame fusion ruby, you can get hits for a a pink-red spinel that is lab grown. I have a vintage ring like this, which I think is so pretty.

E2BC24D2-4BE4-4DDE-A4C9-BCC0D6FA47B8.jpeg

But if you want precision cut, you have to go to a precision cutter—I don’t know of any in the UK, but someone said Jeff Davies is moving his business to the UK so you can try him: https://jefferydavies.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results