shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy Sapphire's - UK

dja21

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'd love to buy a sapphire engagement ring for my girlfriend, it will be a surprise so she will have no input and obviously trying to get it perfect!

I have decided on a sapphire, and she is a yellow gold person who is also very traditional. I started looking online, reading A LOT of posts on this forum, and now i'm slightly overwhelmed with what I should be looking for and thought maybe a someone a bit more knowledgeable than me could help with a few pointers.

I think I'd like a cushion cut, but open to suggestions, heat treated only. Prefer blue rather than violet coloured.

Can anybody recommend a good UK vendor? I'm based in London. Budget max £2,000.00 (~$3,000) but ideally a bit under

Thanks,

D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not bought any jewellery in UK ever since I discovered the joy of internet shopping.

Our normal high street jewellers do not stock good size/quality gemstones in the price range specified. Therefore, I believe it would be a trip to London's Hatton Garden and the Bond Streets etc...

Wherever you go, one thing can be certain, you'll pay a lot more than what you can get via importing from abroad from the gemstone cutters and vendors in the List of Vendors for Reference.

Good luck with your search.

DK :))

dja21

Rough_Rock
Will try online, thanks.

Sorry to be a pain, does anyone have a link to the list of vendors? Searched to no avail :think:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ladies above have set you on the right path. My only concern is this:

dja21|1431158660|3874400 said:
I'd love to buy a sapphire engagement ring for my girlfriend, it will be a surprise so she will have no input and obviously trying to get it perfect!

The sentiment is great but the chances of getting it perfect when she will have no input will be a challenge.
1. Suss out whether she love sapphires or something else.
2. If sapphire, what sapphire colour? If blue, which hue/shade of blue?
3. Does she have a shape preference?

dja21

Rough_Rock
@minous - Appreciate it, thanks!

@Chrono - Not sure she wants to choose, but i guess it's something to be discussed. Colour ideally a kashmir blue and cushion cut, prefer slightly rectangular/oval shape but square would be good too. Imagine this may go over budget however! :whistle:

I have seen a stone online, am I able to PM you the link?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no private messaging facility on PS. Hopefully Chrono et al will come along soon to advice what to do next.

DK :))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
dja21|1431885387|3877805 said:
@minous - Appreciate it, thanks!

@Chrono - Not sure she wants to choose, but i guess it's something to be discussed. Colour ideally a kashmir blue and cushion cut, prefer slightly rectangular/oval shape but square would be good too. Imagine this may go over budget however! :whistle:

I have seen a stone online, am I able to PM you the link?

You can either just post a photo/specs without a link, or ask the vendor to reserve the stone and post the link here. The latter is preferred to avoid other readers buying it under you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1431896646|3877840 said:
You can either just post a photo/specs without a link, or ask the vendor to reserve the stone and post the link here. The latter is preferred to avoid other readers buying it under you.

Correct; there is no PM function on PS for various good reasons but there are ways to "protect" the stone in question whilst under consideration as LK advised.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please post the deets (ct weight, treatment, mm size, any lab reports, etc).
What is the return policy?
Can you view it in person?
Any possibility of additional picture of the sapphire on the back of the hand?

I'd attribute the not so attractive look to the poor photography for now. It has too much extinction for me, plus the blue background tells me that the colour may not be accurate. The small window will probably close up once set. The extinction could also be the camera shadow. Let's see if you can get better pictures before we assess this sapphire.

dja21

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1433169992|3883685 said:
Can you please post the deets (ct weight, treatment, mm size, any lab reports, etc).
What is the return policy?
Can you view it in person?
Any possibility of additional picture of the sapphire on the back of the hand?

I'd attribute the not so attractive look to the poor photography for now. It has too much extinction for me, plus the blue background tells me that the colour may not be accurate. The small window will probably close up once set. The extinction could also be the camera shadow. Let's see if you can get better pictures before we assess this sapphire.

Weight 1.45 carat
Size 6.2x6.2x4mm
Heat treatment
AGL Report

Unsure on return policy as yet, and won't be able to see in person - would obviously inquire about returns before i went ahead.

Alternative photo:
http://s1.postimg.org/69dv6z4kv/32712.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look Chrono :angel:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based ONLY on that photo, which I don't know how accurate it is, the overall colour looks great but half of the stone also looks blackish. Again, I don't know whether this is head shadow or extinction. If head shadow, then no worries. If extinction, I would not keep it. I would only purchase this (for review) if I am able to return it for a full refund.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a little spooky because it looks like a head and shoulders in the dark areas of the second pic. But my gut, since its in both pics, is that its extinction :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results