shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to Buy Oval Moissanite 1.25 or 1.5 dew for my engagement Ring.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,

I' looking to buy a well cut moissanite for my engagement ring and will appreciate your advice re where to purchase from , 1.25 or 1.50 and colour.

The engagement ring will be 3mm thick tapering to 2.4. Cathedral setting in a 3 row micro pave bombay shank.

I like the look of rings with 2pt/mm diamonds in the band but don't want it plain on the sides. I'm thinking of putting 1mm stones on either side ie 1mm side /2mm top/1mm side but want the ring to start with a 3mm width then taper to the setting with diamonds on the under gallery. However I want the shank curved like bombay (traditional comfort D court ring) not rectangular though I'm happy if it's not fully curved as long as it's more curved than rectangular. What are your thoughts on this please? Do I have to educe the stones in the milee to .75m/1.5m/.75m? They will not lie on flat lines to make a rectangle so I thin I shuld be able to achieve 1/1.6/1mm in the milee.

I guess I have to decide on the milee sizes to help make an informed decision on the size of the centre oval but it will be a 3mm tapering to 2.5 so perhaps any size will do.

The next question is colour. Fr
om what I read it appears a little warmer is better than stark colourless for moissanite. What're your thought please?
Thanks.
Cathedral Micro Pave Shane and Co.jpg 3D.jpg Simon G half eternity bombay tappering.jpg

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Strawberries1

I was going to post a similar question, regarding an oval stone. Looking forward to seeing the replies you get :)

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I have had zero issues with my colorless moissanite pieces. What's supposedly better about the warmer stones? A more diamond like appearance? My colorless stones look most diamond like (honestly) when I don't clean my rings--that tones down the "fire" and I just see the H&A cut (although not relevant for an oval).

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I have had zero issues with my colorless moissanite pieces. What's supposedly better about the warmer stones? A more diamond like appearance? My colorless stones look most diamond like (honestly) when I don't clean my rings--that tones down the "fire" and I just see the H&A cut (although not relevant for an oval).
I remember reading somewhere that some colourless ones ie D colour can face up too white looking. Considering I prefered G colour when looking at natural diamonds I wondered if my preference will be for not ultra colourless.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. What're your thoughts re Mona, Star Gem, Tianyu, Province, Moissanite & Co etc moissanite sellers?
I haven’t bought any ovals, but if I wanted to save money, I’d pick Starsgem to make an oval. I have seen few people buy the “diamond cut” oval from Starsgem and it looks really nice. I’ve bought from Starsgem (the ring in my avatar is from them), and I prefer their prices and customer service over Tianyu.

I did see an antique cut oval from Tianyu and I thought that one looked nice; otherwise, I think Tianyu has gotten too expensive and I am not interested in buying from them. I am not impressed with their modern oval, personally...Starsgem is better.

Mona is nice and I have bought from her before, but her reviews here have been mixed. She is a small business and she doesn’t have good access to high quality moissanite rough sometimes. Her cuts are ok, but I don’t think they are as good as Starsgem or Tianyu.

I have not bought from MoCo but I’ve heard they’re all right...personally I am not interested with buying from them because I wasn’t really a fan of their customer service based on my interactions with them when I asked about one of their loose stones.

Lastly, Provence. I think they've improved somewhat but I always viewed their cuts as the worst of the vendors you’ve just mentioned. I would only buy bands from them, personally.

Overall opinion: if this were my engagement ring, I would spend a little more and go with August Vintage. But if I were on a budget, I’d go with Starsgem.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t bought any ovals, but if I wanted to save money, I’d pick Starsgem to make an oval. I have seen few people buy the “diamond cut” oval from Starsgem and it looks really nice. I’ve bought from Starsgem (the ring in my avatar is from them), and I prefer their prices and customer service over Tianyu.

I did see an antique cut oval from Tianyu and I thought that one looked nice; otherwise, I think Tianyu has gotten too expensive and I am not interested in buying from them. I am not impressed with their modern oval, personally...Starsgem is better.

Mona is nice and I have bought from her before, but her reviews here have been mixed. She is a small business and she doesn’t have good access to high quality moissanite rough sometimes. Her cuts are ok, but I don’t think they are as good as Starsgem or Tianyu.

I have not bought from MoCo but I’ve heard they’re all right...personally I am not interested with buying from them because I wasn’t really a fan of their customer service based on my interactions with them when I asked about one of their loose stones.

Lastly, Provence. I think they've improved somewhat but I always viewed their cuts as the worst of the vendors you’ve just mentioned. I would only buy bands from them, personally.

Overall opinion: if this were my engagement ring, I would spend a little more and go with August Vintage. But if I were on a budget, I’d go with Starsgem.
This is exactly the sort of info I need.
Thanks ever so much!
I'm considering Alexander Sparks for the ring itself + band but found some diamond dealers/benches in London with competitive pricing so I might purchase from AV then make the rings here.

hannahpandah

Rough_Rock

Hey there! Replying on this thread super late! But do you still hold the same opinions regarding these vendors? I’m looking to purchase my first Moissanite ring and I know the moissanite game is quickly evolving! Just wondering if you have more insight a year + some later! :)

I’ve gotten similar quotes for a 12x8mm Oval from Stargems and Provence and wondering who I should go with!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there! Replying on this thread super late! But do you still hold the same opinions regarding these vendors? I’m looking to purchase my first Moissanite ring and I know the moissanite game is quickly evolving! Just wondering if you have more insight a year + some later! :)

I’ve gotten similar quotes for a 12x8mm Oval from Stargems and Provence and wondering who I should go with!

Hi! Sorry, TBH I haven’t followed fancy cut moissanites these days as I’m waiting for moissanite prices to drop. This subforum has been slow and I don’t follow Reddit which is where most people post right now.

But if I were to pick between Starsgem and Provence, I’d still recommend Starsgem. From the sporadic posts I’ve seen of both, I don’t think Provence has the same level of cut quality. I’ve also been turned off by Provence’s pushy customer service in the past; I don’t know if they’ve gotten better at this but it completely turned me off from ever considering them.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should find a stone you like first. An oval really need to be colorless.

I know you have talked about this setting even last year and it really needs to be discussed with a jeweler. They can probably taper the shank but the diamonds on the profile are usually very tiny as it is or the band will get too thick. I would do the taper on the width or just keep them all the same size personally.

I think Tianyu is the only jeweler that I have seen that do something similar if you want to try the Chinese companies. You will probably need to take the plunge & just try them or save up for a local jeweler. I would recommend a US jeweler but I don’t think you are in the US. If you don’t love it, you can resell on one of the BST sites. People seem to be reselling for what they paid and sometimes even more on LT, DB and we even have 2 MoissyBST site’s on Reddit that have moissanite sales all around the world.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results