shape
carat
color
clarity

where to buy a recycled diamond for solitaire?

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

I searched PS for threads on this topic and didn't find much besides a thread where people were talking about what it meant for a diamond to be "new", but I am interested in knowing where to buy a specifically recycled diamond. I don't know if there is a legal definition of recycled diamond, but I am thinking it is just a diamond used in a previous piece of jewelry and later unset and sold again.

In my attempt to be more environmentally friendly I don't want a diamond that went straight from a mine to the diamond seller, but one that was already in circulation. My second priority is that I want a "super ideal" diamond or something as close as possible to that; otherwise I would likely buy an OEC diamond from a vendor like JbG.

From the looking around I have done, Brilliant Earth is the only website that I was already familiar with that specifies the origin of its diamonds. They do specify some diamonds as recycled but there was no diamond that seemed to have an ideal cut; they were also mostly very small carat size. I also read some things about Brilliant Earth listing diamonds as originating from Canada without proper evidence which leads me to believe maybe they are not entirely trustworthy.

Do vendors such as Brian Gavin sell recycled diamonds and do you think they would disclose this fact if asked? I know they allow trade-ins so at least some of their diamonds must be pre-owned right?

Thanks!!! I hope this is the right forum for this sort of question!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like your thoughts on recycling! With diamonds, from what I’ve learned, the ‘estate’ jewellery market might be a good bet for you. Many of us have found diamonds at pawn shops (I got lucky and that’s where mine came from) and online resellers of antique diamonds, a lot of which even have GIA grading done (or EGL, etc) as well as having all their angles measured and documented. You mentioned JbG for one. But there are others listed here too. Once you find one, you can post the details here and Pricescopers will weigh in on whether the angles are likely to produce the kind of performance you’re looking for.

Many of the Pricescope preferred vendors offer excellent return policies as well, so you have time to make an informed decision on your stone.

What kind of cut are you looking for?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you open to buying preloved from an individual vs a dealer? That would be one way to ensure you’re getting a “recycled” diamond. However most people with super ideal stones trade them in vs selling them, so they are few are far between on the secondary market.

My other thought is that when you inquire with vendors, you could possibly ask if they could make sure the stone you selected was a trade in? Or ask them to provide you with a list of current stock that has been previously traded. They don’t list it on the websites, but they must have this information.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Many diamonds in many jewelers inventory are used.
They buy them from other jewelers to resell or even from people who are looking to sell their old jewelry or they get them back when a person “upgrades” to a different larger stone.
It is not against the law for them to make sure the stone is not damaged and get an updated certificate number and sell it for the going price as an unused diamond.
They do it all the time.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Op what is your budget? There are are few diamonds that are posted in pre-loved:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/0-918ct-h-si1-brian-gavin-signature-diamond.245895/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feelers-for-1-4-g-vs1-ring.245595/

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ct-d-si1-w-sbf-in-white-gold-size-5-5.224353/

And more are posted through co-signers as well. That might be the best way to ensure that you are getting a “recycled” diamond and without paying the retail premium! Win-win;)2

Last edited:

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
I like your thoughts on recycling! With diamonds, from what I’ve learned, the ‘estate’ jewellery market might be a good bet for you. Many of us have found diamonds at pawn shops (I got lucky and that’s where mine came from) and online resellers of antique diamonds, a lot of which even have GIA grading done (or EGL, etc) as well as having all their angles measured and documented. You mentioned JbG for one. But there are others listed here too. Once you find one, you can post the details here and Pricescopers will weigh in on whether the angles are likely to produce the kind of performance you’re looking for.

Many of the Pricescope preferred vendors offer excellent return policies as well, so you have time to make an informed decision on your stone.

What kind of cut are you looking for?
I want a super ideal round brilliant, so I don't think the estate jewelry market will be the best place to look, but maybe I am wrong. I have done some looking on resale sites and haven't seen a diamond that caught my eye.

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Are you open to buying preloved from an individual vs a dealer? That would be one way to ensure you’re getting a “recycled” diamond. However most people with super ideal stones trade them in vs selling them, so they are few are far between on the secondary market.

My other thought is that when you inquire with vendors, you could possibly ask if they could make sure the stone you selected was a trade in? Or ask them to provide you with a list of current stock that has been previously traded. They don’t list it on the websites, but they must have this information.

Yes, I owuld be open to buying preloved, but I haven't seen one yet that caught my eye. I have heard that most super ideal stones are traded in which is why I would prefer to buy from a vendor. I am thinking that asking the vendor directly might be the best bet; I agree they must have this information! Maybe not a seller like James Allen that has a large virtual inventory, but a seller who owns all of their stones must know right?

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Op what is your budget? There are are few diamonds that are posted in pre-loved:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/0-918ct-h-si1-brian-gavin-signature-diamond.245895/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feelers-for-1-4-g-vs1-ring.245595/

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ct-d-si1-w-sbf-in-white-gold-size-5-5.224353/

And more are posted through co-signers as well. That might be the best way to ensure that you are getting a “recycled” diamond and without paying the retail premium! Win-win;)2

I did see those and none are really what I want; I would prefer to buy a loose stone. What do you mean "posted through co-signers"?

The budget for the ring is 8k including the setting. And I would prefer to have a larger stone with lower color.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did see those and none are really what I want; I would prefer to buy a loose stone. What do you mean "posted through co-signers"?

The budget for the ring is 8k including the setting. And I would prefer to have a larger stone with lower color.

Ok what do you want? Also, many of the sellers would sell the stone alone if asked, or you can just buy it as it, reset the diamond and sell the old setting.

Co-signers are jbg, loveaffairdiamonds, August vintage, GOG, etc.

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Ok what do you want? Also, many of the sellers would sell the stone alone if asked, or you can just buy it as it, reset the diamond and sell the old setting.

Thank you, I have looked at those and haven't seen anything there yet, but I will keep looking. I'm also trying to make this as easy as possible for my boyfriend, so in an ideal world I could buy a recycled diamond from a vendor + the setting as well, but brilliant earth was the only vendor advertising something like that and their selection wasn't good.

1+ carat, super ideal 6500ish budget for the stone. There is a stone at Brian Gavin that I like and I think I will just email and ask if they can tell me the origin of the stone! Seems now the obvious easiest thing to do.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you mean consignee, the party that doesn't own an item but sells it on behalf of the consignor, the party who does own the item.

A cosigner is someone who agrees to be financially responsible if a borrower defaults on a loan.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A super ideal vendor selling super ideal “recycled “ diamonds will sell them at full retail. You might find something at a co-signer (like jbg, etc) mentioned above. (e.g., I bought preloved BGD studs from grace). But usually, people with super ideals trade them up to the original vendor, who in turn, resells them as “new”.

There was a thread earlier that an ACA diamond ring is for sale on I Do Now I Don’t. You could search there?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you mean consignee, the party that doesn't own an item but sells it on behalf of the consignor, the party who does own the item.

A cosigner is someone who agrees to be financially responsible if a borrower defaults on a loan.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Thanks for the spell check ;)2

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is safe to say that diamonds generally are so old that many modern diamonds floating around are probably recut from old cut styles of the past...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Malapropism happens to the best of us!
Ha! It’s a good thing that I never claimed to be one of the best ;)2 With English as a second language, it happens more often than I am comfortable admitting.:D

But back to OPs inquiry - OP, if you want to work directly with a vendor, you can simply give them a call and ask if they can point you to a previously owned/ traded in stone. Nonetheless, as @PintoBean indicated, diamonds are a few hundred million years old, so it is save to say that you won’t be getting a “new” diamond.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! It’s a good thing that I never claimed to be one of the best ;)2 With English as a second language, it happens more often than I am comfortable admitting.:D

English is my second language too! Your writing is far better than some native speakers in the public eye. ;)2

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
English is my second language too! Your writing is far better than some native speakers in the public eye. ;)2
Hehe, thankfully we aren’t on PS to test our English grammar.;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results