shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy a Good Value Loose Diamond?

diamondhunter1

Rough_Rock
I would like a decent quality diamond
Round .90 Ct or 1.0 ct
Excellent cut Hearts Arrows
G-K Color
VS2 - IS1

for around $3000

Where can i get the best deal? Online auctions? Jamesallen? Ebay?

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
diamondhunter1|1339532353|3214795 said:
I would like a decent quality diamond
Round .90 Ct or 1.0 ct
Excellent cut Hearts Arrows
G-K Color
VS2 - IS1

for around $3000

Where can i get the best deal? Online auctions? Jamesallen? Ebay?

Try gemstoneking: http://diamonds.ebay.com/

I just purchased from them since they have a 14-day return policy, excellent reputation (largest seller of fine jewelry on e-bay) and great prices. You have to do a little more digging, such as looking over GIA reports and running HCA values, but it's worth the trouble to save substantially. In some cases, they can even provide photos and I-Scope images of the stone, if the vendor has it available. Here is a sample link they sent me for one of the diamonds I was considering: http://diamondbyhk.com/Diaimage.aspx?lotno=1552-41

As you can see, they have some excellent cut stones (HCA: 1.1 EX, EX, EX, EX) including H&A, but YOU have to find them. Good luck with your hunt!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry, but I definitely do not recommend buying diamonds from ebay. To buy a well cut diamond, it is good to buy from a jeweler who will provide you with proof that the diamond is a good performer and has return and upgrade policies.

I have to leave in just a minute, but I highly recommend you spend some time on sites such as Good Old Gold, WhiteFlash, Brian Gavin, etc. and see what they provide to help you choose a great stone! Read up on the 4 C's section of Good Old Gold because it has some great information as well as the information under resources in this site! Spend some time on the color section on GOG because there is a big difference between G and K, and I do not recommend below J for an engagement ring.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I would also not recommend eBay. I think James Allen would be a good place to start to find something within your budget, although I think it will be a little difficult to find that size stone in your price range. Here is one that is just slightly over budget:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1462595.asp

Also, you may want to consider another shape like a princess because you'll get a little more size for the money.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Very%20Good-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1492241.asp

Or even a cushion:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1406629.asp

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
I should have prefaced my reply with suggesting to check with PS vendors first... However, a $3,000 budget will not get you far if you decide to go that route. I agree that most purchases on e-bay should be avoided, but this is not a typical e-bay seller. They are the only seller with a direct channel to IDEXonline. I can understand concern, but if you're talking about potentially saving thousands of dollars with zero risk (14-day return policy), it is definitely an option to consider when on a budget.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I think you will have a tough time finding a .90-1ct hearts and arrows with those specs for $3000 or less... If you are willing to compromise a little on size, here are a cople of nice options within your budget:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1495913.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1464800.asp

I searched Blue Nile, and it looks like you can get a .92 Ideal cut, J color, SI2 for about $3000 if size is more important than hearts and arrows:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02612698

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
PS vendors have access to the same diamonds as the company listed above, so that shouldn't be a consideration. Diamonds are sold for what they are worth....PERIOD. Online vendors can sell them for less than BMs because they have a lower overhead and there prices are only marginally marked up. If another online vendors claims to be able to sell these same stones for thousands less than that, then I would have serious concerns. I would also only purchase GIA ex or AGS ideal cut stones and avoid labs like EGL which are notoriously soft in their grading, so what appears to be a value is actually going to cost more than the GIA or AGS equivalent.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Christina...|1339544440|3214972 said:
PS vendors have access to the same diamonds as the company listed above, so that shouldn't be a consideration. Diamonds are sold for what they are worth....PERIOD. Online vendors can sell them for less than BMs because they have a lower overhead and there prices are only marginally marked up. If another online vendors claims to be able to sell these same stones for thousands less than that, then I would have serious concerns. I would also only purchase GIA ex or AGS ideal cut stones and avoid labs like EGL which are notoriously soft in their grading, so what appears to be a value is actually going to cost more than the GIA or AGS equivalent.

What makes you say they have access to the same diamonds? I haver personally checked over half a dozen stones and couldn't find them anywhere on the PS vendors websites. Below are two stones that meet the OP's specs. Where can these be found by PS vendor's? WF does not have a single stone in size .91 K... The cheapest 1.05 ct. J I1 at JamesAllen is selling for $3,590 with an HCA of 2.5... :???:

1.05 ct. J I1, HCA: 1.5 ($2,626) http://diamonds.ebay.com/ViewItem?did=130711573115&internalSrc=srp
.91 ct. K VS2, HCA: 1.1 ($2,771) http://diamonds.ebay.com/ViewItem?did=130709654394&internalSrc=srp

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
TrialnError|1339549404|3215011 said:
Christina...|1339544440|3214972 said:

What makes you say they have access to the same diamonds? I haver personally checked over half a dozen stones and couldn't find them anywhere on the PS vendors websites. Below are two stones that meet the OP's specs. Where can these be found by PS vendor's? WF does not have a single stone in size .91 K... The cheapest 1.05 ct. J I1 at JamesAllen is selling for $3,590 with an HCA of 2.5... :???:

1.05 ct. J I1, HCA: 1.5 ($2,626) http://diamonds.ebay.com/ViewItem?did=130711573115&internalSrc=srp
.91 ct. K VS2, HCA: 1.1 ($2,771) http://diamonds.ebay.com/ViewItem?did=130709654394&internalSrc=srp

^Lol. Many of the vendors have access to the same inventory as the other vendors, but they don't list EVERY single stone. You have to call in and ask them.

Of the three choices OP listed: I'd go with James Allen. I saw my own stone listed on 4 different vendor sites. Thus, they all have access to the same inventory. Most of the vendors can dig thru BN's "inventory".

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Calling and asking different vendors about individual stones kind of defeats the purpose of an efficient online search... :roll:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in a hurry earlier and I did not address the pricing. $3000 is not a realistic budget for a .90 to 1 ct. diamond that is well cut and at least at the bottom of the near colorless range. You can save a little by getting GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal cut but not hearts and arrows, and go with something like J SI1 around .80.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
TrialnError|1339560569|3215167 said:
Calling and asking different vendors about individual stones kind of defeats the purpose of an efficient online search... :roll:

OK, so I'm on GSK's ebay page. I search for a stone. All I can get is a cert; what good is only having a cert going to do? So how did GemStoneKing provide you with IS images? Did they call it in and get the images for you or ask whoever owns the stone to take the images for you?

-Telling a vendor what your preferences are and having them select stones for you isn't defeating anything if they can help you. Try googling your "sample" stone there. I get vendors in China that are selling that same stone:

http://luozuan.52shehua.com/diamond-1139339499-certGIA,round-weight1.30,I-clarityVS1,EX-polishEX,EX-FLRVS,7.05-7.10x4.26-depth60.10,no.html

and...
http://024.doido.com/diamond-1024268.html

and...
http://img5.kelaimg.com/1.3ct_I_VS1_EX_GIA_1139339499.htm

So if these folks have access to the same inventory as the seller you went with, I don't see how any of the PS trusted vendors can't. I don't see a problem finding a few stones you like, having a vendor call it in and provide you with images? Hmm... in the end isn't someone providing you with images? Plus that company is based in NY, where some of the other vendors are anyway so...
:roll: To each his/her own.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
TitanCi|1339564534|3215193 said:
TrialnError|1339560569|3215167 said:

OK, so I'm on GSK's ebay page. I search for a stone. All I can get is a cert; what good is only having a cert going to do? So how did GemStoneKing provide you with IS images? Did they call it in and get the images for you or ask whoever owns the stone to take the images for you?

-Telling a vendor what your preferences are and having them select stones for you isn't defeating anything if they can help you. Try googling your "sample" stone there. I get vendors in China that are selling that same stone:

http://luozuan.52shehua.com/diamond-1139339499-certGIA,round-weight1.30,I-clarityVS1,EX-polishEX,EX-FLRVS,7.05-7.10x4.26-depth60.10,no.html

and...
http://024.doido.com/diamond-1024268.html

and...
http://img5.kelaimg.com/1.3ct_I_VS1_EX_GIA_1139339499.htm

So if these folks have access to the same inventory as the seller you went with, I don't see how any of the PS trusted vendors can't. I don't see a problem finding a few stones you like, having a vendor call it in and provide you with images? Hmm... in the end isn't someone providing you with images? Plus that company is based in NY, where some of the other vendors are anyway so...
:roll: To each his/her own.

Other vendors have access since GSK's inventory is a direct sales channel for IDEX, but I don't follow your logic. You were able to find the same stone on three obscure websites, non of which are in english. How exactly does that demonstrate that PS vendors offer these stones? I would love to compare prices if I could find the same stones from a PS vendor...

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
^Dude, the point is that stone is not being held by GSK, it's part of the virtual "inventory"; yes you get that part. We all do. With that cert no., any ONE vendor on here can call that stone in; you've been told that by a few people. Just cuz you can't find it on the little search bar above doesn't mean the PS vendors can't get it in. What don't you get? There's no logic, it's just that. Plain and simple. Trial, no error. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

:nono:

ImmaSquashYou

Rough_Rock
I assume that price and carat is a huge issue. With that said. I would quickly eliminate vs2. I would stick with si1 and si2. I would not go below si2 imo. You might be able to sacrifice a bit in color, but i wouldn't go anything below and I. try to stick around H. The hardest part you will have is finding an eye clean si2 at this point. I really don't know how you can ween out the diamonds without the actual idealscope pics and such for diamonds less than 1ct, since the GIA certs don't show the inclusions that are below 1ct (not that i've seen, perhaps i can be wrong). But as a price point wise, looking for an eye clean si2 around 1-1.2 ct, with excellent/very good cut, no florescence, excellent polish, excellent symmetry will run you close to $5500-$6500. Its obvious that under a carat, it will be closer to $3800-$4500. However, i don't know how people are able to ween out diamonds under a 1 ct. online if they didn't provide other information other than the GIA cert. If being eye clean is not that big of a deal, i would say BLUENILE would be the cheapest since fatwallet offers cashback (regularly 3% back, but will go to 5% on certain holidays like this past mothersday). I bought my diamond from IDJ. But i had already found the diamond i wanted to buy, and had them bring it in. But from other PScopers on here, IDJ can def help you find the best diamond within your price range.

ImmaSquashYou

Rough_Rock
TrialnError|1339569460|3215214 said:
Other vendors have access since GSK's inventory is a direct sales channel for IDEX, but I don't follow your logic. You were able to find the same stone on three obscure websites, non of which are in english. How exactly does that demonstrate that PS vendors offer these stones? I would love to compare prices if I could find the same stones from a PS vendor...

Here is an example. Whiteflash's virtual inventory is shared by many other websites. This is the reason why sometimes the stone you want to purchase, might not be available even though that particular online store does not have another party interested. However, this diamond could of been placed on hold/sold at another online website. most of the diamonds you see on bluenile, are NOT in virtual inventory on other websites because bluenile has a more "special" inventory. However, IDJ is ABLE to call in any stone that bluenile has, and is able to sell it to you through them. Once IDJ calls in this diamond that bluenile was offering, bluenile can process your order, but if the diamond was already sold by IDJ, bluenile cannot sell you that diamond and will tell you that the diamond is not available for sale and will refund your money. It doesn't matter who "owns" the diamond, or what "website" you saw the diamond listed on. If you have the diamond cert #, almost any diamond jeweler is able to get that particular diamond you requested whether its listed or not.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
TitanCi|1339572059|3215219 said:
^Dude, the point is that stone is not being held by GSK, it's part of the virtual "inventory"; yes you get that part. We all do. With that cert no., any ONE vendor on here can call that stone in; you've been told that by a few people. Just cuz you can't find it on the little search bar above doesn't mean the PS vendors can't get it in. What don't you get? There's no logic, it's just that. Plain and simple. Trial, no error. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

:nono:

Supporting a premise with a premise, rather than a conclusion, is known as circular logic. "Other vendors have access so that means PS vendors have access..." Why would someone want to waste time calling around vendors to inquire about stones they may or may not have? Again, this defeats the purpose of an efficient search! :shock: :???:

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
^ What?

I'm surprised you're not insisting that your 1.2 ct stone will somehow fit in a setting made for something that is 25 points. End.

TrialNError is a fitting name.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Objection: Relevancy

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! ^There's ALWAYS one person on EVERY single board... :nono:

First of all, you never even answered if GSK provided you with the images of your stone, besides that one example. Even if they did, it's probably from whoever owns the stone. I don't see how GSK can be any different from a vendor like Blue Nile who has access to a virtual inventory for stones all around the globe.

If I see a stone on GSK's listings I can easily call a PS vendor and HAVE THEM GET THAT STONE IN SO THEY CAN EVALUATE IT FOR ME. They may not have it right then and there, but they can get it in. Plain and simple.

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
TitanCi|1339614207|3215561 said:

First of all, you never even answered if GSK provided you with the images of your stone, besides that one example. Even if they did, it's probably from whoever owns the stone. I don't see how GSK can be any different from a vendor like Blue Nile who has access to a virtual inventory for stones all around the globe.

If I see a stone on GSK's listings I can easily call a PS vendor and HAVE THEM GET THAT STONE IN SO THEY CAN EVALUATE IT FOR ME. They may not have it right then and there, but they can get it in. Plain and simple.

"I can easily call a PS vendor and..." No, you can't. Why attempt to speak on a topic that you clearly have zero first-hand knowledge of?

"'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Lincoln

Anna: Welcome to James Allen! How may I assist you today?
you: Hello, does James Allen have access to stones on IDEX Online?
Anna: Unfortunately, we are not able to access outside websites. Is there a specific diamond type you have in mind?
you: I would like to know if I could purchase the following stone through JA: http://diamonds.ebay.com/ViewItem?did=130709654394&internalSrc=srp
Anna: While I am not able to access an outside site, I would love to help you find something similar. What shape diamond is it?
you: IDEX isn't an outside site... It is a diamond and Jewelry EXchange linking diamond merchants and jewelers...
you: Thank you anyway!

[Barry] Does White Flash have access to IDEX Online?
[Barry] I would like to know if I could purchase the following stone through WF: http://diamonds.ebay.com/ViewItem?did=130709654394internalSrc=srp
[Sheerah] This would not be a diamond that would be recommended by Whiteflash as it has a very low crown angle
[Sheerah] we typically recommend not going below 33 degrees minimum for a well cut diamond
[Barry] It has an HCA value of 1.1...
[Barry] Is it possible to purchase this stone through WF?
[Sheerah] I am checking to see if we have access to it
[Barry] Thank you!
[Sheerah] Unfortunately I was not able to find this diamond through any of our sources
[Barry] Thank you for trying! Send Message:

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
TrialnError|1339615679|3215584 said:
TitanCi|1339614207|3215561 said:

"I can easily call a PS vendor and..." No, you can't. Why attempt to speak on a topic that you clearly have zero first-hand knowledge of?

"'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Lincoln

Anna: Welcome to James Allen! How may I assist you today?
you: Hello, does James Allen have access to stones on IDEX Online?
Anna: Unfortunately, we are not able to access outside websites. Is there a specific diamond type you have in mind?
you: I would like to know if I could purchase the following stone through JA: http://diamonds.ebay.com/ViewItem?did=130709654394&internalSrc=srp
Anna: While I am not able to access an outside site, I would love to help you find something similar. What shape diamond is it?
you: IDEX isn't an outside site... It is a diamond and Jewelry EXchange linking diamond merchants and jewelers...
you: Thank you anyway!

[Barry] Does White Flash have access to IDEX Online?
[Barry] I would like to know if I could purchase the following stone through WF: http://diamonds.ebay.com/ViewItem?did=130709654394internalSrc=srp
[Sheerah] This would not be a diamond that would be recommended by Whiteflash as it has a very low crown angle
[Sheerah] we typically recommend not going below 33 degrees minimum for a well cut diamond
[Barry] It has an HCA value of 1.1...
[Barry] Is it possible to purchase this stone through WF?
[Sheerah] I am checking to see if we have access to it
[Barry] Thank you!
[Sheerah] Unfortunately I was not able to find this diamond through any of our sources
[Barry] Thank you for trying! Send Message:

Oops... I guess you opened your mouth and removed all doubt. How's your foot taste? Adiamor has access to the stone:
http://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/GIA-Certified-K-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D15251252

https://www.pricescope.com/dealer/adiamor

"Noobs are meant to be spanked" - Babe-raham Lincoln :naughty:

diamondhunter1

Rough_Rock
TrialnError|1339538672|3214880 said:
I should have prefaced my reply with suggesting to check with PS vendors first... However, a $3,000 budget will not get you far if you decide to go that route. I agree that most purchases on e-bay should be avoided, but this is not a typical e-bay seller. They are the only seller with a direct channel to IDEXonline. I can understand concern, but if you're talking about potentially saving thousands of dollars with zero risk (14-day return policy), it is definitely an option to consider when on a budget.
Thanks i bought the first diamond!!

diamondhunter1

Rough_Rock
mandasand|1339537858|3214858 said:
I would also not recommend eBay. I think James Allen would be a good place to start to find something within your budget, although I think it will be a little difficult to find that size stone in your price range. Here is one that is just slightly over budget:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1462595.asp

Also, you may want to consider another shape like a princess because you'll get a little more size for the money.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Very%20Good-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1492241.asp

Or even a cushion:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1406629.asp
Thanks i bought the first diamond you linked to!

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
diamondhunter1|1339621669|3215644 said:
TrialnError|1339538672|3214880 said:
Thanks i bought the first diamond!!

Congrats and best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results