shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you send MMD to be set in a ring? Websites? Local?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I'm deciding what to buy for my engagement ring and I personally see no difference between natural and mmd, so I might just wait for lightbox and buy a solitaire pendant necklace, but whats the next step? Are there online vendors anyone can recommend that will take the mmd out of a lightbox setting and set it in a ring for me? What does this typically cost? Should I just take it to a local jeweler?

dhoang132

Rough_Rock
i think you can take it to just about any jeweler and they will set it for you, but of course they will want to charge anywhere from 50-100 bucks.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Is it best to do this locally? Are there any online vendors that will let me ship a lightbox necklace to them and reset it in a ring setting? I know brilliant earth and blue nile both will only set stones you bought from them so I'm assuming most of the big names will be the same.

Antique Chic

Shiny_Rock
Leon Mege (The Art of Platinum) is by far my favorite jeweler. I believe he would do it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon Mege (The Art of Platinum) is by far my favorite jeweler. I believe he would do it.
My understanding was that LM was very funny about setting stones he's not supplied, so I can only imagine a MMD would definitely be a No!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably call around to see who can supply you with a single 6-prong solitaire. Maybe ask if they have a Stuller one. Stuller is good quality and inexpensive.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most jewelers are willing to set a stone that you sourced elsewhere but there are a few complications. The biggest is the liability associated with breakage risk. They’ll take breakage responsibility for stones they sold, and not for stones they didn’t. There’s no particular reason not to use a local vendor unless you just can’t get out of the house for whatever reason. It's sort of nice to do it 'in person' anyway.

Labor prices vary quite a bit and I’m hesitant to quote someone else’s rates but normally bids are free. A generic rule is that the cheapest craftsmen are rarely the best and that rush jobs usually cost more. Call around and ask. Lightbox will possibly ship to whatever address you want (or not), but no jeweler with sense will agree to this because it will void any sort of return you have on the stone(s) and they don’t want to get into the middle between you and a 3rd party if you end up with a problem.

As mentioned above, there are several large companies that sell stock mountings and charge relatively reasonable prices. This won’t include setting labor, of course, and maybe sizing will be extra if you're looking for something unusual, but that’s about it. Check out www.stuller.com and www.overnightmountings.com. They won’t sell directly to you but most jewelers can get anything from either catalog. There are others.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Are you going to be buying the setting from the jeweler? Because I think any jeweler who gets their feather in a ruff over lab diamonds might get over very quickly when they realize you're buying from them. Are you able to go to DE to save the tax? I have a jeweler near the PA/DE border I can recommend who set a stone for me very inexpensively, but you would want to call to ask first. They are called Stevens Jewelers.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@vintageloves I called the jeweler in my neighborhood yesterday and they said they can definitely do it, no charge for removing and setting it if I'm buying a setting from them, they have an exact Tiffany 6 prong replica for $650 and many other options if that's too much or I want something a little different. Even with Philly sales tax it'll be $700 plus the $900 for LB diamond, $1600 total for a beautiful almost 1ct ring, I'll be thrilled. Since tax will only be $50 (less if I get a cheaper setting), I'd probably rather stay local and get the benefit of being able to walk to my jeweler, it's literally a few blocks away, and they might even do free cleanings, I think a lot of places do. Everyone in the neighborhood loves this place, I looked them up in the neighborhood Facebook group.

But I will definitely keep Steven Jewelers in mind. It's a little over half hour drive for me and they are open Saturday so that could work.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@vintageloves I called the jeweler in my neighborhood yesterday and they said they can definitely do it, no charge for removing and setting it if I'm buying a setting from them, they have an exact Tiffany 6 prong replica for $650 and many other options if that's too much or I want something a little different. Even with Philly sales tax it'll be $700 plus the $900 for LB diamond, $1600 total for a beautiful almost 1ct ring, I'll be thrilled. Since tax will only be $50 (less if I get a cheaper setting), I'd probably rather stay local and get the benefit of being able to walk to my jeweler, it's literally a few blocks away, and they might even do free cleanings, I think a lot of places do. Everyone in the neighborhood loves this place, I looked them up in the neighborhood Facebook group.

But I will definitely keep Steven Jewelers in mind. It's a little over half hour drive for me and they are open Saturday so that could work.
There are a lot of benefits to working locally with a jeweller you have a good working relationship with :) Just make sure to check the quality of the settings/work before you buy, and make sure you ask what the insurance policies are in terms of whether or not your outside stone is insured for all risks during settng!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
@frogplus I'm glad you found a jeweler you like, is local, and will help you with what you want. That's an important step.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Please let me know the name of your jeweler as I live about an hour from Philly. It would be good to know he will reset a lab diamond should I decide to do it. I would be doing princess cut studs so would buy the settings from him. Thanks

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
It's called Fishtown Jewelers but I haven't been there yet, I've just seen the good reviews and I didn't mention it was a lab diamond when I called, I just said if I have my own diamond in a necklace and want you to set it in a ring can you do that, and they said yes, and it's free if I'm buying a setting from them.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's called Fishtown Jewelers but I haven't been there yet, I've just seen the good reviews and I didn't mention it was a lab diamond when I called, I just said if I have my own diamond in a necklace and want you to set it in a ring can you do that, and they said yes, and it's free if I'm buying a setting from them.
Ok let me know! Thanks!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you going to be buying the setting from the jeweler? Because I think any jeweler who gets their feather in a ruff over lab diamonds might get over very quickly when they realize you're buying from them. Are you able to go to DE to save the tax? I have a jeweler near the PA/DE border I can recommend who set a stone for me very inexpensively, but you would want to call to ask first. They are called Stevens Jewelers.

Glad to know about Stephens Jewelers. I drive by there often and wondered if they did good work! The online reviews I’ve seen have been positive. I’ve used another local jeweler for years but they send everything out and was hoping to find a jeweler local to me who was recommended.

Antique Chic

Shiny_Rock
My understanding was that LM was very funny about setting stones he's not supplied, so I can only imagine a MMD would definitely be a No!

That would be unbelievably disappointing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results