shape
carat
color
clarity

Where could I find antique cut cushion cut pair gemstones

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm kicking around reset ideas for my antique old mine cut e-ring. I would like an antique 3 stone of some sort. I prefer the ring to be more period correct. I love my diamond and now it holds sentimental value. I have thought about either a pair of old cut/ OMC sapphires or spinel. Is there a vendor that has pairs of older cut gemstones or a vendor that could cut a pair that would look correct for this time period? I'm in the stewing phase at the moment. Looking at pairs of gemstones from different online vendors, the clean, well cut modern pairs of stones I have seen would not look appropriately shaped with a wonky middle stone. Open to ideas or suggestions. I have a slow timeline on this project, but want to keep my eye out or start planning for the other 2 stones. The main stone is 1ct.

Thanks for your time.

IMG-2836 (1).jpg

I don't have any suggestions for you, unfortunately. But I just wanted to say that your diamond is gorgeous and this sounds like a really fun project. Good luck!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff White cut these cushions for me, apparently it is an older cut:

DK :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any suggestions for you, unfortunately. But I just wanted to say that your diamond is gorgeous and this sounds like a really fun project. Good luck!
Thank you so much! I am excited to start planning. Last week for our anniversary all hubby had to do was to mention he would be okay with a future reset. Well, I got excited.

Jeff White cut these cushions for me, apparently it is an older cut:

Zircon and spinels after.jpg

DK :))

@dk168 thanks so much for the tip! What tiny tables :) I could see a similar cut working.

Thank you so much! I am excited to start planning. Last week for our anniversary all hubby had to do was to mention he would be okay with a future reset. Well, I got excited.

He sounds like a keeper, my friend! I do hope you keep us updated on this project. I'd really like to see the end result. :) And Happy Anniversary!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ask around to custom cutters or cannibalize from an antique piece is the only way I've found. Gemstones in a 'diamond' antique cut are really rare- you're more likely to find Ceylon mixed cuts, rougher native mixed cuts or carre/French cut/emeralds in antique jewelry. Custom cutters would certainly be open to doing a diamond antique cut with culets, I would think.
Tell us who you find because that would be a source worth it's weight in gold.
I can't wait to see what you do! It's going to be fabulous.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
He sounds like a keeper, my friend! I do hope you keep us updated on this project. I'd really like to see the end result. :) And Happy Anniversary!!

Thank you so much! :) I hope I can pull off what I have in my head.

Ask around to custom cutters or cannibalize from an antique piece is the only way I've found. Gemstones in a 'diamond' antique cut are really rare- you're more likely to find Ceylon mixed cuts, rougher native mixed cuts or carre/French cut/emeralds in antique jewelry. Custom cutters would certainly be open to doing a diamond antique cut with culets, I would think.
Tell us who you find because that would be a source worth it's weight in gold.
I can't wait to see what you do! It's going to be fabulous.

Great ideas. I have looked everywhere tonight and have yet to find a blue sapphire cut with a culet. Using a pair of stones from an old ring would be a good way to tackle this. I would assume it could keep the overall budget down too.

I will share here if I locate a cutter for the project and go in that direction.
Thanks so much for your suggestions!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I saw on IG today a blue oval sapphire that was recut to OMC. Maybe someone with a better memory/IG skills could find the post.

mayday

Shiny_Rock
I had this spinel cut into an oec a number of years ago and I am really happy with its performance, despite what they say about doing this to colored rough (this was actually a round brilliant-cut originally). IMG_3013cr.jpg Feel free to reach out if you'd like to be put in touch with the cutter (not sure if still in the business ...).

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I had this spinel cut into an oec a number of years ago and I am really happy with its performance, despite what they say about doing this to colored rough (this was actually a round brilliant-cut originally). IMG_3013cr.jpg Feel free to reach out if you'd like to be put in touch with the cutter (not sure if still in the business ...).

:love: Ooh, you don't see this often in spinel :love:
Sorry to pepper with a ton of questions but...
What did this cut do to the optical properties, was there a marked difference? Was there color or saturation change? How does it behave? Does it throw chunky flash? Did the end result surprise you at all? Do you have any video snippets?

mayday

Shiny_Rock
The change was dramatic! The stone went from purplish blue as a brilliant cut to predominantly slivery or greyish blue as an oec. The silver comes out in spades now, which I am pleased about, the spinel really came alive in the recut. It went from >4 ct to 2.75 ct. Kozibe is insane. I will try to attach a video at the end here.
before - purplish blue brilliant cut, ~ 4 ct:
OriginalCutOfOecSpinel.jpg

After - silvery blue oec, 2.75 ct:
OecSpinelAfter.jpg

Kozibe as an oec:
OecSpinelKozibe.jpg

Some light play:
1654027970955.png

Guess I have to host the video - if I can figure that out I'll post a link.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Wow, thanks, Mayday - this looks AMAZING! I love it.
Holy smokes - the color change is just stunning.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@mayday whoooa, that really is amazing!
Video! Video! Video!
You can post the link from vimeo, Youtube, imugr, Insta etc...into a comment.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Purple to blueberry blue, I'm still processing. That's an amazing change.

mayday

Shiny_Rock
MMtwo, yep, you gotta be ready for anything when you engage a custom cut stone! ;)2
This was an experiment for both the vendor and me, and I got lucky this time.
Here's me trying to insert an old video (taken by the vendor) of the loose spinel
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/716029770

Well, I thought it would embed, but I'm still learning. Anyway, this is in crappy office lighting, I'll take a sunlight video soon and try to upload that.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
MMtwo, yep, you gotta be ready for anything when you engage a custom cut stone! ;)2
This was an experiment for both the vendor and me, and I got lucky this time.
Here's me trying to insert an old video (taken by the vendor) of the loose spinel
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/716029770

Well, I thought it would embed, but I'm still learning. Anyway, this is in crappy office lighting, I'll take a sunlight video soon and try to upload that.

What a lovely stone. It came out so well.

mayday

Shiny_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
You're very kind, MMtwo! Here's a fresh video!
<div style="padding:75% 0 0 0;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/716128416?h=64e0eb5fcb&amp;badge=0&amp;autopause=0&amp;player_id=0&amp;app_id=58479" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" title="MVI_0929.MP4"></iframe></div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>

You are a doll for recording that video. It is so interesting to see how it reflects the light. Thank you so much. I love the ring! :wavey:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love: Remarkable! Isn't that cutting improvement a marvel? The videos show everything and more. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more lapidaries doing this style in spinel!
@mayday Thank you again for sharing this with us. It's a rare thing to see such an obviously improved outcome, especially rare make on particular material.
I know now, for sure, that antique style cutting really works on spinel.

Last edited:

mayday

Shiny_Rock
MMtwo, ItsMainelyYou, You guys are so welcome! You've given me a new appreciation for this ring. :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results