shape
carat
color
clarity

When you walk into a jewelry store...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you think the sales associates pay any attention to the type of jewelry you have on?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you think the sales associates pay any attention to the type of jewelry you have on?

Hell YES!

Hence I tend to wear my better pieces when I go bling window shopping.

When I met up with @mochiko42 and @pearaffair in Vancouver in late 2018, we went shopping after lunch and visited all the high end jewellery stores in the area.

I definitely felt we were being judged by the sale assistants when we walked into the stores.

Good job we all blinged up for our mini meet.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes
its all part of the patter
sometimes some young dumb thing just recites it like its off a que card
oh i see you like chains ...and its so fake
just browse a Swarovski store (i like their crystal orniments) for the worst example

Maybe in the really exspensive stores its different - the stores who don't have the prices on their window display - i don't tend to go in there

i will say though im my experience jewlery store salespeople treat people alot better than some stores - ive always shopped after work - a bit grubby and sweaty after a hard day with my steel caps still on
I got quite friendly with one lady (i must have helped her reach her targets) and she would pop mum's rings into the ultra sonic for me and she liked to see what i had brought if she saw me coming out of the opposition
Not at all judgemental just interested in what they had that i liked that they didnt
She also liked to see what id been buying off trade me (like e bay)
She was really taken with my cherry amber

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha yes!

My sister is always too chicken to go into Tiffany's unless we take my DBL yellow diamond ring with us and one of us is wearing it.

I have always had a lovely experience at jewellery stores except this one time where the guy was just absolutely nuts!!! Had nothing to do with him judging me though, he was just very bizzare.

Whether it’s good or bad, I’m sure store owners and salespeople judge clientele. I don’t feel like I have a point to prove after I’ve been to a store a few times because then they know me and they recognise me, but I had a bad experience in a Tiffany’s once on holiday (I was dressed very casually with absolutely no jewelry on and the SA was unnecessarily dismissive) which made me realise that SAs probably don’t want to waste time on someone they don’t think has the ability to buy (though that’s a bad attitude. It turned me off the brand enough that I now don’t want to buy anything there at all).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, most of the experienced sales people do. They have to know their customer and that is the first thing they see. What we are wearing. Jewelry wise and the overall suerpificial picture since it is the first impression they get when we walk into the store.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, absolutely. They are probably trying to determine who would be the most likely person to buy more jewelry. However, that really proves nothing so one customer shouldn't receive better customer service than another because you really never really know who is there to buy.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are any good at their job, they will be 'sizing up' their customers, lol.

A good sales assistant will know, however, that sometimes it is those that look the poorest that are actually the wealthiest.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are any good at their job, they will be 'sizing up' their customers, lol.

A good sales assistant will know, however, that sometimes it is those that look the poorest that are actually the wealthiest.

Exactly. Another reason I never judge a book by its cover. It’s often inaccurate.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I make sure I swear something nice (as nice as I have, anyhow) into the store.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some years ago while on vacation, I was window shopping in an upscale area.
I was wearing fake Tahitian pearls. As I was peering into a jewelry shop window, the sales lady came out, took my hand and pulled me inside!
I knew right away that she thought my necklace was the real deal!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I feel like sometimes the service is better with a little bit of jewelry on. Maybe it's just in my mind.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Probably. But given my background in non jewellery sales and it being backed up by acquaintances who did sell jewellery, I know it's wiser to not size up anybody like that according to clothes or jewellery. A lot of time the person willing to spend the money looks super shabby.

I never go anywhere dirty anything like that but I don't particularly dress up or fix my hair into anymore than a combed pony tail and my clothes are usually tank top and leggings. If someone judges me for not wearing a suit or a dress and full makeup and hair and chooses not to sell to me or treats me badly then they don't deserve my business. My business may be rare and not 10's of thousands but it is loyal and i like to go to the same shops and the same salespeople every time, which gives them repeated business. Luckily I have found a couple of lovely jewellery stores that do decent to good sturdy work and i frequent them the times I can buy or need repairs done and they don't care what I look like lol.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They absolutely do! However, I think it's misguided.

My husband's friend went to a car dealership in a tee shirt and jeans. The salesmen weren't particularly interested in helping him. Eventually, he asked for a manager who sent over the newest member of the sales team. He sold two new Cadillacs that day, which were paid for in cash. Nice score for the new salesman and a lesson for the others.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My husband's friend went to a car dealership in a tee shirt and jeans. The salesmen weren't particularly interested in helping him. Eventually, he asked for a manager who sent over the newest member of the sales team. He sold two new Cadillacs that day, which were paid for in cash. Nice score for the new salesman and a lesson for the others.

I think I remember Bron having a similar story about her father!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Haha yes!

My sister is always too chicken to go into Tiffany's unless we take my DBL yellow diamond ring with us and one of us is wearing it.

I have always had a lovely experience at jewellery stores except this one time where the guy was just absolutely nuts!!! Had nothing to do with him judging me though, he was just very bizzare.

Ok now I need to hear more!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think associates look at my jewelry, but assume my husband makes the decisions and buys my jewelry for me. I always laugh inside when I see them fawning over him, thinking that he is the one that they need to impress. Unbeknownst to them, I'm the one that usually drags him into jewelry stores to look at stuff, and I'm the one with the fatter wallet ready to spend.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think I remember Bron having a similar story about her father!

Car dealerships is another place were I feel that sales associates want to talk the "man"and try to impress my husband with talk about speed and horsepower etc....my husband cares little about what he drives and the nice cars in the house are mine. My husband drives a modest company vehicle (Ford).

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely. I was at one of the big jewelry and gem shows that come through here once or twice a year. I was admiring a necklace (way out of my price range), and the sales person was pretty disinterested. Then I put my hand up on the edge of the display case (not a huge diamond, it was a purple-ish sapphire in a diamond mounting), it got his attention and he came right over and wanted to be of service. At that point, even if I could have bought the necklace.....nope.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is exactly what happened to my little sister & her ex. They went into Ferrari dressed super casual & were kind of snooted at by the young sales guy. After a bit of patter with this guy, who was really dismissive, they asked to see the Manager. My sister & her ex thought it was hysterical how this guy judged them, so played along for a bit. Eventually they walked out as the proud owners of a 458 Spider & suggested to the Manager that maybe a bit of Customer Service training for the sales people wouldn't go amiss.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... A good sales assistant will know, however, that sometimes it is those that look the poorest that are actually the wealthiest.

So true ... and even more-so here in laid back Southern California than in, say, Manhattan.

Around 20 years ago I walked into a piano store wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.
The salesman didn't pay much attention to me as I roamed around trying pianos.

He almost fell off his chair when I pulled out my checkbook and said, "I'll take that ebony Baldwin grand over there".
Oh, the look on his face ... :lol-2:

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember once staying at a very nice hotel in Manhattan, where we'd booked a very, very large suite. Part of the booking was a limo and a chauffeur. DH and I went tooling around the city, but we'd only flown in from Australia the day before. We were VERY tired, but only in NY for 4 days before going back to our home in Boston, so we wanted to get 'out and into it' asap. So in the morning, we threw on sweats, and I put on a lot of jewelry, and we hit the shops.

It was the funniest thing. I swear, Tim and I both looked basically homeless. But I was clearly wearing a lot of nice jewelry, and we had this limo and driver in tow. The people working in the stores, you could see, didn't know what to make of us. Mostly, wherever we went, we were ushered to the 'back room' - where all the good stuff was, but mostly, I think, to get us out of visual range of the other customers.

To be honest, I don't think it's something I'd do again. It was too conflicting for the sales people, and I felt badly for them. However, if you want a glass of champagne at 10am....

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember once staying at a very nice hotel in Manhattan, where we'd booked a very, very large suite. Part of the booking was a limo and a chauffeur. DH and I went tooling around the city, but we'd only flown in from Australia the day before. We were VERY tired, but only in NY for 4 days before going back to our home in Boston, so we wanted to get 'out and into it' asap. So in the morning, we threw on sweats, and I put on a lot of jewelry, and we hit the shops.

It was the funniest thing. I swear, Tim and I both looked basically homeless. But I was clearly wearing a lot of nice jewelry, and we had this limo and driver in tow. The people working in the stores, you could see, didn't know what to make of us. Mostly, wherever we went, we were ushered to the 'back room' - where all the good stuff was, but mostly, I think, to get us out of visual range of the other customers.

To be honest, I don't think it's something I'd do again. It was too conflicting for the sales people, and I felt badly for them. However, if you want a glass of champagne at 10am....

lol nice jewelry + sweatpants, they probably assumed you were a celebrity :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That scene in Pretty Woman speaks volume.

Mind you, I did not encounter any snootiness when I went shopping in Rodeo Drive and surrounding areas, and even went into the Beverley Wilshire Hotel for a look round when I was in LA in 2016.

My mum always says just because she does not wear a lot of jewellery does not mean she does not have any or hard up. If one wears a lot all the time, people may think that's all he/she has.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results