shape
carat
color
clarity

When you buy a sapphire and find out it isn't!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Took a few rings to my trusted gemologist including the "unheated Ceylon sapphire" I recently bought off LT. Now I completely disregarded they "unheated Ceylon" part because that's a pretty large claim at the price I paid. I told myself I would be happy as long as it was a natural sapphire.

Well it isn't a sapphire at all, it's spinel, it is a natural spinel thankfully. Here is the question though, isn't it kind of a problem that this was sold as a sapphire without the seller checking beforehand? Or is it on me because I took a chance at buying the ring without any documentation to support what it was?

I feel a certain way about this only because anytime I sell something I always have it completely checked out by my gemologist so I know exactly what I'm selling, that is the responsible thing to do IMO.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you mind showing a pic? I’m curious.

This is my fear in buying any jewelry.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the listing description, since I always screenshot these things whenever I buy online:

IMG_6306.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the listing description, since I always screenshot these things whenever I buy online:

IMG_6306.jpg

Well, I guess the bottom line is:

1) do you love it?

2) do you feel you paid a fair price for it?

It’s really pretty. I get it was sold as a sapphire, but I noticed the listing says “specs I was given” which is sort of a pivot.

Do you want to return? Keep? Keep but get some money back?

What do you want to do?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave, I do love the stone and don't want to return it, I'm not sure if I paid a fair price but I paid $599 for the ring, she originally started at $799!

So I guess if I did pay a fair price (which I'm hoping some more folks weigh in on) then I will just let it go. At least it is natural, if it wasn't I would absolutely want to return it.

My bottom line is I just want to make sure I didn't get ripped off.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
In my humble opinion (please take with a grain of salt) I love the spinel but the setting is just not my style whatsoever and it also looks as if itd be a B to clean. So, for me personally, the verdict would weigh on if the stone alone was worth $599. Sadly, judging that I very seldom purchase or even look at spinel listings I cannot tell you if $599 for an approx. 2.25 CT bluish-lavender-grey spinel is a bargain or not.

Now, thats just me.
If you love and adore the setting also then id factor in the cost of the gold and diamonds with the cost of the spinel.
I hope others chime in with approx. estimates of the piece.

Either way I know that its not fun to be told one thing only to find out its not true, I would feel the same so no worries! On the bright side (as my happy go Lucky mother would always say :P2 ) Lucky you that the stone is completely natural!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TheGarnetGirl no worries because the setting is not really my style either! I literally just bought this for the spinel, although I would probably wear the ring as is until I can get it reset.

As I'm thinking about it $600 seems a bit steep for a spinel but if I also factor in having to find another and the time spent and having to pay shipping until I find the perfect one then maybe it's not so bad. Plus if I do reset it I would at least try to sell the setting, it has to be someone's cup of tea :P2

I had looked for this color in a spinel before and at that time it wasn't easy to find especially in a round.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whaaaaa? Not a sapphire?
And $599? Yikes!
It's still beautiful. But I'd be pi$$ed that I was misinformed.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whaaaaa? Not a sapphire?
And $599? Yikes!
It's still beautiful. But I'd be pi$$ed that I was misinformed.

Yup, those are the risks of buying online. Well from what I've found out via the CS forum it's not a bad price BUT yes I am totally annoyed the seller didn't do her homework!

I am so ripping that stone out of that setting, I don't feel bad since it is not original to the setting, but we kind of knew that already.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:eek2:
Wow, that's a curveball, for sure! I'm uncertain how I would feel about it, if it were me. I think I could get over it, as long the price was not a ripoff, because it is a beautiful stone. But, yeah, I'd be a little ticked off, myself. I think the lesson is to really, really think hard or negotiate hard when clear documentation is not available or when the description is wishy-washy. I like looking for nice pre-loved items, so I'm definitely going to keep that lesson in mind.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, all good points and I know this could have been a lot worse, if she had told me it was synthetic I would be devastated but I can deal with this.

Probably won't be buying off LT again though unless it's a PS'er, don't want to tempt fate!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this happened to you. I think it is a very pretty spinel and hope you can enjoy it despite this bad buying experience. I like LT and DB prices, but often am nervous about how accurate the info is given the seller may or may not know anything about gems and jewelry. And maybe the jeweler where it was originally purchased is uninformed. It would be wonderful if we all could get reliable appraisals, but depending on where you live that may not be an option. I know I’m not thrilled with my options. sad :((
There is a thread in HO about LT and DB transactions. If feel comfortable disclosing the seller wanted you could post about this experience there so that others are aware.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's okay @kgizo, I actually emailed the seller and she was surprised to hear it was a spinel and wanted to make sure I was okay with that. So that is certainly positive, I told her that it doesn't change how I feel about it and that I was just telling her in case she buys from that source still.

I do hear you about finding someone to reliably evaluate stones and/or jewelry, it took me a bit to find the gemologist I work with now but she is great for piece of mind!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's that (as on yours) ring i feel in love with :(2
i still love and and i love love love the setting
i don't know anything about spinels but id be a bit miffed personally as saphire is my birth stone
but looking at it another way to me it would make the ring more unusual
its such a lovelly colour
i once brought a ring from a gold photo to find out it was silver - the seller refunded my money but the online auction site would not stand by me
you don't buy a Toyota and come home and find out its a Kia (no disrespect intended to Kia owners)
so long as you are sure the seller sold it to you in good faith and you're still happy with the price you paid then enjoy your lovelly ring

do sapphires and spinels wear or perform differently in a ring?
Sapphire is harder but i know thats not the only thing to consider

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, you are right that sapphire is harder, the good news is both the color and cut of the spinel is very good so it is a valuable stone. Granted not worth what an unheated Ceylon sapphire would be but I did not put much trust into that description, that is what the seller told her but without documentation it really means squat.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet someone used a Presidium gem tester and went “Sapphire range” it’s a sapphire. Spinel is also in the Sapphire range!
Thank goodness it is a natural gem rather than a lab grown.
I think you paid a good price for the gem and setting, but if you’re going to reset it it starts being less of a good buy.
If you love the gem, irrespective of type, I’d keep it. But if you’re not happy with it being a Spinel, contact the seller and then them you want to send it back “not as described” for a full refund. The seller however might ask for written confirmation that it isn’t a sapphire, most likely they’ll go “what, what is a Spinel”. It’s blue it’s a sapphire - sigh.
Hope it all works out how you want. I’d keep it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your thoughts @Bron357 and yes I am just so relieved it's a natural stone, the lack of inclusions (minus that one) was worrying me! I am going to keep it, I don't doubt I could get a full refund but I really do love the stone even if it isn't a sapphire and once I lose enough weight to wear it I will probably do that until I come up with another setting I like.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts @Bron357 and yes I am just so relieved it's a natural stone, the lack of inclusions (minus that one) was worrying me! I am going to keep it, I don't doubt I could get a full refund but I really do love the stone even if it isn't a sapphire and once I lose enough weight to wear it I will probably do that until I come up with another setting I like.
oh its so pretty
im so happy you still love
i love the whole sputnic vibe
it looks like the band would be an easy enough to resize
how much too small is it ?
i wounder when the last time was that someone loved it and wore it out to dinner or a party ?
if you don't want to resize it i hope it fits in the winter

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank you so much @Daisys and Diamonds, it really is a very interesting ring and the sparkle is amazing. I'm currently a size 8 and the ring is a 6, I will probably have to resize it some but this is really motivating me to work on losing weight. It will be so fun to finally wear it though!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh thank you so much @Daisys and Diamonds, it really is a very interesting ring and the sparkle is amazing. I'm currently a size 8 and the ring is a 6, I will probably have to resize it some but this is really motivating me to work on losing weight. It will be so fun to finally wear it though!
i have a vintage garnet ring (not nearly as spectacular or unigue as your sputnic) that needs resized and ive put on a few pounds +++
you and your ring can be my motivation
please remember to post when you finally wear it out
i just ADORE it
and i try to be polite and i like everyone's rings .... but i really really really love your sputnic
if it were mine id be asking is a spinel ok for every day wear?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw you are too sweet, if you don't see it for a while don't think I forgot, I have quite a bit to lose! Spinels a pretty hard from what I understand, a lot of folks in the colored stone forum have spinels.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw you are too sweet, if you don't see it for a while don't think I forgot, I have quite a bit to lose! Spinels a pretty hard from what I understand, a lot of folks in the colored stone forum have spinels.
good luck
i really look forward to it
and i guess then i shouid go out for a walk or something
we have had very gentle spring rain here today and the world is looking very clean

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Out of curiosity, what did the gemologist do/see that indicated natural spinel? Not doubting the call at all, but just genuinely curious. Was it the inclusion or a test that was done? And what did the inclusion look like?
Thanks!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@alltheflorals, there is a crystal inclusion that is very hard to see but I found initially and she confirmed. It almost blends into the rest of the stone but at just the right angle and the right lighting you can see it. I have tried to get a picture of it but I misplaced my macro lens and my phone doesn't really pick it up well.

I also brought her another ring which turned out to be synthetic spinel, I haven't looked at that one under the loupe but she had no doubt that the other one was synthetic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results