shape
carat
color
clarity

When people say your ring is unique or cute..

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Dancing Fire, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » Jun 25, 2019
    does that mean "your ring is ugly" in a different way? .. :bigsmile:

Ohhh, how cute = Ohhh, how ugly? how small?

That is unique = that is a ugly?

How about if they say that's really you...:read:

2. Daisys and Diamonds
    Brilliant_Rock

by Daisys and Diamonds » Jun 25, 2019
    cute does sound like it means small but maybe its best to give the 'admirer' the benifit of the doubt on that one
    unigue could be a complement depending on how excitted they say it .......

Arkteia, Mamabean and missy like this.
  3. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Jun 25, 2019
    It's often best not to try to give meaning to what others say. We all have different perspectives and backgrounds and one's "cute" could mean beautiful and not mean something less so. Though I can absolutely see where one might take "cute" when complimenting another's ring as not the best compliment. I think it best to just take a compliment at face value. After all your ring is gorgeous to you and that is all that matters. What others think about our ring shouldn't matter. (Unless they are PSers haha). Remember it's none of our business what others think of us (and our bling).

As for unique again same reasoning. Take it in the spirit it was intended. All that matters is you love your ring.

RosieR, Arkteia and bling_dream19 like this.
  4. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » Jun 25, 2019
    My DD said ...if someone said "cute ring" they meant small ring. :bigsmile:

5. Daisys and Diamonds
    Brilliant_Rock

by Daisys and Diamonds » Jun 25, 2019
    i thought so
    :rodent:
    sad disgruntled sigh
    some one called my great Aunty ER cute and ive had it valued and its probably the best diamond ill ever own
    my great uncle would have had to work so hard for it durring the great depression

(

Mamabean and AV_ like this.
  6. bling_dream19
    Shiny_Rock

by bling_dream19 » Jun 25, 2019
    So, my fiance proposed in January with a 1.3 G Very Good GIA diamond in an uncomfortable 6 prong solitaire and my co-worker was like - it's huge!!! So she was impressed by the size. Obviously, he returned that ring and got me my BGD dream ring :love: a 1.17 G AGS VS2. So, she says "that ring is totally you." I think it was a slight undercurrent of diss, perhaps seeing the smaller size and other personal matter. I let the comment go, but this thread made me thing about it.
    But I agree with all, we can't read into what people say.

7. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Jun 25, 2019
    Or she could have meant oh this diamond is so much brighter and more beautiful than your original stone...just like you.:kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds and Mamabean like this.
  8. bling_dream19
    Shiny_Rock

by bling_dream19 » Jun 25, 2019
    Oh you're really sweet - thank you Missy. I'm going to go with that! Made me tear up a bit, it's been a trying time at work with confidence, so thank you.

9. lyra
    Ideal_Rock

by lyra » Jun 25, 2019
    I would honestly laugh out loud if anyone said that to me as a criticism. I had a small original stone. No one ever commented. It also doesn't happen in my daughter's circles, so maybe it is more of a US thing? I would not use the word "cute" when complimenting someone's ER. That is not the right word to use. I would prefer to make someone's day by saying "Oh, your ER is beautiful!" Much more appropriate, and size does not matter.

Daisys and Diamonds and Mamabean like this.
  10. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock

by StephanieLynn » Jun 25, 2019
    Well either is better than "breathtaking", after Seinfeld that word brings uncertainty!

lyra and Slick1 like this.

11. Arkteia
    Ideal_Rock

by Arkteia » Jun 26, 2019
    I think if people spontaneously make a compliment to my ring, all that they say is good. If I ask them about it, then “unique” or “cute” is definitely less-than-perfect. Jewelers have their own lingo, one has to know what “fine” really means.

Daisys and Diamonds likes this.
  12. seaurchin
    Brilliant_Rock

by seaurchin » Jun 26, 2019
    Just in case, it's best to return the compliment by picking out something about them and telling them that it is also cute, unique, or so them. :p

bling_dream19 likes this.
  13. Dee*Jay
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dee*Jay » Jun 26, 2019
    The only person who has ever called one of my rings "cute" was a jeweler that I knew who saw The Brick right after I got the Kelege setting. Fvcker was so big and heavy I could barely lift my hand. To paraphrase Kenny, I guess peoples' definition of "cute" varies too!