shape
carat
color
clarity

When people say your ring is unique or cute..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
does that mean "your ring is ugly" in a different way? .. :bigsmile:

Ohhh, how cute = Ohhh, how ugly? how small?

That is unique = that is a ugly?

How about if they say that's really you...:read:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's often best not to try to give meaning to what others say. We all have different perspectives and backgrounds and one's "cute" could mean beautiful and not mean something less so. Though I can absolutely see where one might take "cute" when complimenting another's ring as not the best compliment. I think it best to just take a compliment at face value. After all your ring is gorgeous to you and that is all that matters. What others think about our ring shouldn't matter. (Unless they are PSers haha). Remember it's none of our business what others think of us (and our bling).

As for unique again same reasoning. Take it in the spirit it was intended. All that matters is you love your ring.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cute does sound like it means small but maybe its best to give the 'admirer' the benifit of the doubt on that one
unigue could be a complement depending on how excitted they say it .......
My DD said ...if someone said "cute ring" they meant small ring. :bigsmile:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DD said ...if someone said "cute ring" they meant small ring. :bigsmile:
i thought so
:rodent:
sad disgruntled sigh
some one called my great Aunty ER cute and ive had it valued and its probably the best diamond ill ever own
my great uncle would have had to work so hard for it durring the great depression

(

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
So, my fiance proposed in January with a 1.3 G Very Good GIA diamond in an uncomfortable 6 prong solitaire and my co-worker was like - it's huge!!! So she was impressed by the size. Obviously, he returned that ring and got me my BGD dream ring :love: a 1.17 G AGS VS2. So, she says "that ring is totally you." I think it was a slight undercurrent of diss, perhaps seeing the smaller size and other personal matter. I let the comment go, but this thread made me thing about it.
But I agree with all, we can't read into what people say.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, my fiance proposed in January with a 1.3 G Very Good GIA diamond in an uncomfortable 6 prong solitaire and my co-worker was like - it's huge!!! So she was impressed by the size. Obviously, he returned that ring and got me my BGD dream ring :love: a 1.17 G AGS VS2. So, she says "that ring is totally you." I think it was a slight undercurrent of diss, perhaps seeing the smaller size and other personal matter. I let the comment go, but this thread made me thing about it.
But I agree with all, we can't read into what people say.

Or she could have meant oh this diamond is so much brighter and more beautiful than your original stone...just like you.:kiss2:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Or she could have meant oh this diamond is so much brighter and more beautiful than your original stone...just like you.:kiss2:

Oh you're really sweet - thank you Missy. I'm going to go with that! Made me tear up a bit, it's been a trying time at work with confidence, so thank you.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would honestly laugh out loud if anyone said that to me as a criticism. I had a small original stone. No one ever commented. It also doesn't happen in my daughter's circles, so maybe it is more of a US thing? I would not use the word "cute" when complimenting someone's ER. That is not the right word to use. I would prefer to make someone's day by saying "Oh, your ER is beautiful!" Much more appropriate, and size does not matter.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well either is better than "breathtaking", after Seinfeld that word brings uncertainty!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if people spontaneously make a compliment to my ring, all that they say is good. If I ask them about it, then “unique” or “cute” is definitely less-than-perfect. Jewelers have their own lingo, one has to know what “fine” really means.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only person who has ever called one of my rings "cute" was a jeweler that I knew who saw The Brick right after I got the Kelege setting. Fvcker was so big and heavy I could barely lift my hand. To paraphrase Kenny, I guess peoples' definition of "cute" varies too!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump :bigsmile: What does the words unique or cute mean to you?
What is the polite way of saying your ring is ugly? :silenced:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t be offended if someone called Bella unique, because she is. If someone called her cute, I’d think they’d need glasses :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
if someone's ER is ugly just lie
especially if they love their ring

you wouldn't tell a new mum her baby was ugly
yet i bet people do

just remember its more important to be kind than to be right

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I am an eccentric in more ways than one, and those who know me well know that, and they have accepted me as I am through the years.

If a stranger comments about my dress sense, jewellery and lifestyle choices etc., I shall smile and say thanks. If deep down they think I am weird, then that's fine by me as I know I am weird!

DK :lol-2:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d take unique as a compliment not an insult, and probably the same for cute. That’s on the assumption that people are polite enough to keep their mouths shut if they don’t like something and therefore are commenting at all as they want to say something positive.

On the basis of life experience that’s probably a wrong assumption, but it means I carry on happily. If the person commenting was being bitchy then they can add both bad jewellery and slow on the uptake to their list of my faults and have more to bitch about in the future, so everyone’s a winner! :lol:

Last edited:

HGar

Shiny_Rock
I prefer to not be offended unnecessarily over things so unique I would take as a complement. To me it would mean different from the usual choices. Cute to me would be interpreted as nice, not necessarily to their liking and possibly small.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think cute is a strange word to use about fine jewelry, anyway. If I were petty enough to want to comment on the smallness or something like that, of someone's ring I might use the word "nice" instead of "beautiful" but not "cute".

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Unique when I use it is meant as a compliment.
So many ring designs are similar; but when you can take the classic and make it your own, unique, that's something that should be noted. I say it in admiration.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump :bigsmile: What does the words unique or cute mean to you?
What is the polite way of saying your ring is ugly? :silenced:

There is no polite way to say your ring is ugly! Best to not acknowledge at all or leave it as a generic compliment...
Congratulations on your new ring!

I don't think unique means "ugly". Unique means not the usual to me. I tend to like rings that are not the usual so I consider
it a positive! When I comment on PS that a ring is "Unique", I usually add "in a good way" in case someone interprets the word
"unique" different than I do.

For some reason "cute" does seem to apply to smaller rings but to me doesn't mean "small". It means adorable. I don't understand
my own logic here:P2

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the world would be a better place if people didnt take offence to these comments. Someone offended by "cute" or "unique" sounds like a real negative nancy.

I would take unique as a compliment. “Cute” just seems like such a weird word to use for a ring I would feel a bit taken aback at the word choice - sounds like a veiled insult tbh but it’s not going to affect my day if someone tell me my ring is cute lol.

My go to compliment for an e-ring is either beautiful or lovely.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds , just lie if you don’t like it!

I think 99% of babies and children are ugly little snots. But you bet your behind that anytime anyone shows me their baby or kid I gush about how beautiful/cute they are. “Wow! He/she is soooo cute! Adorable!” Same with jewelry. “You just got engaged? Let me see! So pretty, congrats!” Even if it’s effing ugly and I hate it. It costs nothing to be nice :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

After 18 months of not seeing my Mother; we visited for her 86th BD this July. She saw my Tiffany ring for the first time, and said, "Awww, that's cute". I LOL because it is cute! (she doesn't describe my Cartier Sapphire ring that way.....no matter).

I do not subscribe to any malintent to the compliments/comments.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results