shape
carat
color
clarity

When do you NOT wear your diamond engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MagicNMayhem

Rough_Rock
I''m going to have one of my own within the next couple of months....and by nature, i''m a worry wart. So I can only imagine how I''m going to be with my ring. Right now I take my diamond necklace & all rings off for the shower, swimming, sleeping...
Some people say to take your ring off for scrubbing dishes (soap scum), pools (chlorine), and some other times..... But other people say that they NEVER take it off because then there''s a greater chance of losing it!
When do you take yours off? Do you ever worry about it just slipping off and falling down the drain?

I think maybe I need to relax
40.gif

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I usually take my e-ring off when I sleep, clean the dishes, swim, beach, and clean with chemicals. I also take it off when I shower or apply lotion or perfume.

Anything that might harm the metal or the diamond I avoid. All other times I wear my ring.

Hope this helps
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take mine off when doing yard work and house work. I also don''t wear it when swimming, exercising and showering. The first is that fingers shink when colder and the ring might slip off. The second is it might get damaged when hit (I get carried away playing sports). The third is that the ring or diamond might fall down the drain.
23.gif

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hardley ever to take it off. I figure if a stone falls out, replace it, if it needs plated, plate it. I love having it on at all times and take it off to clean it and SOMETIMES for bed. I also take it off when I wash my face because I have a high setting...so I dont scratch myself. You are worrying to much, lol. For the year I was very consirned about it. Now, I consider it apart of myself, and I''m pretty abusive to it! But I dont have any melee or pave...just a solitare and a WG band. Perhaps I should answer it after I get a reset...
20.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Um, never?

Actually, if I'm home, I take it off to shower 'cause I don't like when it slips around when I try to condition my hair. Soon as I'm out, I clean it and put it back on. I wear it when I clean, in the pool, when I sleep, etc. If I'm traveling, I do not take it off at all (though I do sometimes turn it around if I'm on public transport or something).

ETA: The fit on my ring is quite snug. It wouldn't come off on its own in icy, soapy water, and I like it that way. It never feels too tight on my finger, but on a really hot summer day, it can be very hard to take off.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it off when doing anything that could damage it. You should take good care of fine jewelry. Mine goes in the ring box when not being worn, so there are no worries about losing it. I don''t just lay it on the counter, so there is not chance of it getting knocked in the sink. But having insurance is also essential because you can''t predict everything that could possibly happen.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
First I have to say, I'd hope it's insured... But beyond that, I take my rings off once I am home. I have a ring holder where I place them to rest. I don't like wearing them once I am home doing cleaning, and other chores. I would hate for them to get all gunked up, I am anal about keeping them clean, and prestine.

HTH, welcome to PS.
35.gif

anyname

Shiny_Rock
i take mine off when i: workout, shower, clean, cook, bake, putting on lotion, and when i''m at the beach. So, basically i don''t wear my ring when i''m in the house.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I take it off once I get home. I also don''t wear it during the winter because I would hate for it to get snagged on gloves or god forbid, crack my diamond should I slip on all that ice!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 9:32:37 PM
Author: Daisi2112
Hello!

I usually take my e-ring off when I sleep, clean the dishes, swim, beach, and clean with chemicals. I also take it off when I shower or apply lotion or perfume.

Anything that might harm the metal or the diamond I avoid. All other times I wear my ring.

Hope this helps
2.gif
Ditto add washing the car, and mowing the lawn to the list. hehe

Do enjoy your ring!!!
9.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
It comes off as soon as I walk in the door. I also don't wear anything other than a thin yellow gold band when I travel.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is platinum and I have already had one experience where the setting was bent from heavy contact so after it being repaired to good as new I take my ring off to; do house chores, dishes, swimming/hot tubbing, go the the gym, shovel snow. Anything that I would consider "rough" on the ring. I am also overly protective now since I have seen what can happen. My setting is also pave on all three sides so I want to be careful not to lose a stone as platinum is more malleable ( I definitely learned that the hard way!) I will say though that my Mom and Grandma both have white gold settings and they NEVER take their rings off for anything.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
For the months between when I was engaged and when I got married, I wore my ring all the time, bathing, sleeping, at the beach, etc. Once I needed it re-plated after just two months after receiving it though, I figured I had better start taking a little more care of it, so I bought a cheap titanium band to wear at the gym, while working, and while sleeping (I always like to have something on my finger so that people at least know I am married...) After going without my e-ring on my finger, I almost feel guilty at how much I love having if OFF because I realized just how much it gets in the way! I didn''t notice how much it bugged me while I was sleeping, or trying to put my hair in a ponytail, or getting dressed, etc., until I went without it! I always wear it if I''m going out to dinner or shopping though because I do still like to show it off :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 9:32:37 PM
Author: Daisi2112
Hello!

Hope this helps
2.gif
Ditto this - basically I take it off if I''m doing activities where it''s at risk of getting damaged or dirty..
I don''t baby my rings, but I am careful and like to have them clean
5.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I''m cooking, gardening, working out, and most of the time when I''m sleeping. I hardly ever wear the ring at home. Water gets trapped under it when I''m cooking or it starts spinning around. That really annoys me so I just put it away.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 9:20:11 PM
Author:MagicNMayhem
I''m going to have one of my own within the next couple of months....and by nature, i''m a worry wart. So I can only imagine how I''m going to be with my ring. Right now I take my diamond necklace & all rings off for the shower, swimming, sleeping...

Some people say to take your ring off for scrubbing dishes (soap scum), pools (chlorine), and some other times..... But other people say that they NEVER take it off because then there''s a greater chance of losing it!

When do you take yours off? Do you ever worry about it just slipping off and falling down the drain?

40.gif

For me..when I walk into my home, the rings come off and are put into their cushiony box. I hate to have any rings on when I''m doing anything esp washing, bathing, swimming, ect. I wear them only when I leave the house and if I go swimming, I put them away safely. Won''t wear them in the pool or ocean.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take mine off for many of the reasons already listed. Buy a ring holder for the kitchen, and keep your ring box in the bedroom. Then you have two specific places to put it depending on what you''re doing. Just make it a habit to put it in one of two places and you should be fine.
2.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take all my jewelry off as soon as I get home. I''m always doing something in the house - cooking, cleaning, etc. and I just don''t want to take a chance. I plop my ering, wedding band, earrings and five stone band in the ultrasonic. Sometimes I turn it on, sometimes I wait until I can rinse and dry. God forbid I should ever put them in the box in the cabinet dirty! Just anal like that about my sparklies!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Only when I clean it does it come off. I wear gloves if i clean. I also never take off my necklace and cannot remove my bracelet without a screwdriver and another person so all my (special/symbolic) jewelry is always on.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take mine off when I shower or go to beach (sand/sunscreen) - of course also if I''m using chemicals to clean - otherwise I wear them all the time - I used to take them off in the house when I was working, but now that I''m a SAHM with 4 kids I like to wear them - the housework is less boring with my diamonds on - the more the better too!
35.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I don''t wear my ring when i''m in the shower (because I don''t like how it feels when my hand is wet) or when i''m working out. Oh, or when I am cleaning with bleach or other household cleansers.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took mine off when I was cleaning, doing yard work or doing anything that could damage them, I also took them off while putting lotion on my hands...thats how mine did go down the drain
38.gif
however, I was very lucky, my husband took the sink apart and got the ring out of the sink trap
36.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 7:14:35 AM
Author: atroop711

40.gif

For me..when I walk into my home, the rings come off and are put into their cushiony box. I hate to have any rings on when I''m doing anything esp washing, bathing, swimming, ect. I wear them only when I leave the house and if I go swimming, I put them away safely. Won''t wear them in the pool or ocean.
I''m the same way, especially if I''m cleaning.
35.gif

DentD

Rough_Rock
Wow, I had no idea so many people took off their rings this often! I only take mine off before a shower just because I hate the feeling of it spinning around on my finger. If I had a band that was designed to not spin I probably wouldn''t even take it off then.

Then again, I''m not terribly worried about my diamond falling out, and my setting was fairly inexpensive so it wouldn''t be the end of the world if I had to replace it due to damage. I suppose if I had a more intricate ring I would change my habits!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take mine off for vacations, swimming, cleaning house, heavy cooking or dishes (I have a designated hook in my kitchen for my rings), when I''m lifting weights, or doing volunteer work in low-income communities.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on if you''re someone who''s more of a loser of stuff by nature, or a klutz. I''m wayyyy more likely to lose something than break it, so I just use rubber gloves a lot of the time when doing housework and wear my ring nearly 100% of the time. I just don''t trust myself, even the "put it only in one place" theory isn''t likely to work with me. YMMV.

Insurance is your friend, whatever you do!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 1:38:10 PM
Author: MMT

Date: 3/14/2009 7:14:35 AM
Author: atroop711

I'm going to have one of my own within the next couple of months....and by nature, i'm a worry wart. So I can only imagine how I'm going to be with my ring. Right now I take my diamond necklace & all rings off for the shower, swimming, sleeping...

Some people say to take your ring off for scrubbing dishes (soap scum), pools (chlorine), and some other times..... But other people say that they NEVER take it off because then there's a greater chance of losing it!

40.gif

For me..when I walk into my home, the rings come off and are put into their cushiony box. I hate to have any rings on when I'm doing anything esp washing, bathing, swimming, ect. I wear them only when I leave the house and if I go swimming, I put them away safely. Won't wear them in the pool or ocean.
I'm the same way, especially if I'm cleaning.
35.gif
Yup, same here. I made the mistake of sleeping in my ering the night I got it - and managed to scratch my face from eye to neck with a prong.
20.gif
So sleeping in it was out, lol. All the jewelry comes off and goes back in the jewelry box or ultrasonic. DH doesn't sleep in his either - he take his off when he gets home too for the most part.

I just wear a tungsten band on vacation - I'd never wear my rings in the pool or ocean. I have a friend that watched her husband's wedding ring sink to the ocean floor that way.
40.gif

ETA: When I first got engaged I was working at Starbucks and had to wear my ring around my neck - I had lost too many cheapie rings down the drain! (Hands are ALWAYS in water it seems at that job, LOL.)

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I don''t wear mine ever when I am at home. It''s the first thing I take off when I get home and the last thing I put on before I leave. So obviously no cooking, cleaning, showering. I also don''t wear it when I have to work a 24 hour shift; I figure there is a high chance that I''ll smack my hand on something when I am tired!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Mine is off a lot more than it is on.
I only wear it going out and then, not all the time.
Never at home.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on how large and intricate the ring is. My original e-ring was a 0.18 ct solitaire, and I wore it pretty much all the time. I now own a 0.63 ct solitaire, and I take it off for many activities where I used to wear the smaller diamond. I also own a 1.50 ct diamond with sidestones, and I practically never wear it at home. The larger and higher the diamond is, the easier it is to hit it against things (like the inside of the laundry tub). Doing housework just isn''t good for fine jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results