shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your opinion on this OEC ring?

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't think the diamond looks dark, it's reflecting something black - either clothing or the camera being used. I think it has a lovely facet pattern, a gorgeous tall, puffy crown, and that K color is creamy dreamy. :kiss2:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm new here (first post) and starting to get immersed in research about quality diamonds.
I've decided that I would prefer an OEC to a RB.

What are your thoughts regarding this ring? Is it just me, or does it look very dark in several photos?

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-58ct-old-european-cut-diamond-egl-k-vs2

It is a pretty diamond, with a nice facet pattern, but I agree that in several photos it does look dark - some of the photos where it looks creamy seems to have extra light flooding in; the photos where it looks darker appears to be in more natural/diffuse lighting conditions. This is just my opinion based on these photos.

This diamond is rated K by EGL - just within EGL standards it could be lower K as compared to a higher K. And, perhaps (read: likely) if GIA or AGL looked at it, the color would rate even lower than K.

This is not to put you off the diamond, but if you are looking for a high K, I don't think this fits the bill.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty, but I think that it isn’t as bright and pastel-ey as I usually see in an OEC. I’d prob leave it due to the EGL cert too

Q

Queenie60

I would suggest you look around at what you can purchase with you money. Check out loveaffairdiamonds.com. Erica has quite a few nice stones within your budget. I would steer clear of EGL.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with others, I think it has a really nice facet pattern but for that money I probably wouldn't buy an EGL stone. There are so many different "flavors" of OEC that I think it's really worth looking at a bunch and seeing what sings to you.

Love Affair has some really nice stones and Erica is very responsive, as is Adam at Old World Diamonds.

spyvsspy

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback! I really, really appreciate your input and thoughtfulness. I will recommend to my future fiancee that he reach out to Erica or Adam.
We ideally want to stay under $10K (for diamond plus ring) - I would love a vibrant OEC (or AVC) between 1.3 and 2 carats. I have a size 4.25 finger, so I figure that would give good finger coverage. I'm open to warmer diamonds as well.

Heather

Q

Queenie60

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback! I really, really appreciate your input and thoughtfulness. I will recommend to my future fiancee that he reach out to Erica or Adam.
We ideally want to stay under $10K (for diamond plus ring) - I would love a vibrant OEC (or AVC) between 1.3 and 2 carats. I have a size 4.25 finger, so I figure that would give good finger coverage. I'm open to warmer diamonds as well.

Heather
Check out this beauty. A PS'r had this made and never wore it. I was strongly considering purchasing this ring however, I have enough rings for now.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/0-93ct-old-european-cut-diamond-in-cvb-oec-halo-ags-l-vs1/

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Heather

That is super doable within your budget, especially if you are open to warmer diamonds as well. Are you leaning more old euro or more cushion? What kind of setting are you looking for?
Both Adam and Erica have great eyes so I'm sure they will have good recommendations for you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one. And then get a simple solitaire setting fornunder $1k. Maybe for a future anniversary get a custom setting. All under $10k.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-72ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-k-vs1-1613

Another to agree that is a lovely stone. The stone you picked doesn't have darkness it has a contrast pattern ie arrows in the centre that will go on and off meaning you can and can't see them depending upon what lighting you are in. It's not a smucky stone either, you need to see them both in person probably to judge which one you like better because OECs are a very personal choice thing and the wonky less pleasant one in photos might also be the better brighter stone in real life, that's also the nature of old cuts.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Many OEC's are sent to EGL to be graded to get the correct documentation that they are OEC cuts and not modern round brilliants as GIA sometimes designates OEC's as MRB. Based on the report by David Atlas this stone is graded accurately by EGL but could get a K or L color with GIA. I would ask Grace which stone is the best performer although I really love the facet pattern on the 1.72 OEC better than the one in the ring. That setting is really nice. You might ask if she will have this 1.72 set in that setting as both stones have almost the same diameters and how much extra that may cost if she can possibly do that. Just a thought. But Grace will tell you which stone she thinks is the better performer with out the cost of you viewing both stones together. I would trust her expert opinion in comparing both stones. Sometimes she will do videos with more than one stone to compare.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the old cut world, the EGL tide has definitely turned. I only very rarely see EGL reports, as GIA and AGS are now much more common. For what it's worth, AGS will also grade antique cuts as such, unlike GIA, who has some funky classifications for cut, so their grading of antique diamonds is less predictable (which can be important for insurance claims, if the GIA report states "Round Brilliant" for example).

AGS is a hair softer on color than GIA for stones which are borderline, from my experience dual certing stones. So a "high K" (borderline J) might get a K from GIA but a J from AGS. The rest of the time, the grading is pretty much on par. AGS is a hair stricter than GIA on clarity, I've also found. EGL is just a hot, hot mess all around and, IMO, should be avoided unless you're ok with having the sale contingent upon a GIA/AGS report or independent appraisal to confirm that the diamond specs are as represented by EGL.

My recommendation is to speak with a handful of dealers who carry the types of stones you like, and choose the person(s) you feel most comfortable with. From there, describe your dream OEC and see what (s)he can find for you. Often times, dealers have trade contacts who can memo stones to them for your consideration - you arent's always just limited to what your preferred dealer(s) have in stock.

Good luck with your search!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second or third the loose stone, to me it has a more desirable facet pattern and reflects more soft pastels that I like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results