shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats the largest ct size you'd want?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1314646862|3004690 said:
I think anything over .50 is SUPER TACKY! Why I gotta be so GROSS like that!?? *shrug*

Huh? I don't get this... :errrr:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1313427707|2991297 said:
For me it depends on the cut of the stone. If it was an RB, I would say no more than about 2 cts. If it was any type of square cut, asscher, radiant, ect. I would say up to 3 cts. Really it's about the MM size and for a diamond about 8mm is my comfort limit. My current ring is a 1.06 asscher in a halo which brings it just over that 8mm size. If the diamond itself was that big, no halo, lol!
This!

diamondmama

Rough_Rock
I have a rep who visits me once per year and sports a 3.67 brilliant cut diamond. It is always a droolfest when she's in and I have the page in my diary booked out so I can mostly try on her ring for the majority of the time she's in with me....sooooooooo professional 8-)

Anyway....my turn is coming and I've been doing my research...aka...me and bff spending hours trying on various sizes and going for lunch and a bottle of wine at every opportunity.

I had my heart set on her ring and when I actually realised I could end up with a diamond that size I was totally out of my comfort zone.....Loving putting the extra £££ into a super ideal cut I think and sticking around the 2.3 mark...not too shabby.

Let's see what happens.....

I'd be happy with 2 carats.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My emerald cut is 8x6mm and I have size 4-4.5 ring fingers. We went to Tiffany and tried on a range of sizes, and both agreed this was as big as looked "right" on my hand. We could have gotten something bigger, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable with something bigger, especially not in my quite conservative profession.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Max I'd ever go is probably .80-.85, I have REALLY small hands, tiny fingers (recently got resized and I've actually gone DOWN to a 4.75! :errrr: ), and I'm a bit careless when it comes to jewelry, I'd never forgive myself if I chipped or damaged a bigger diamond in any way shape or form!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mscushion|1315418972|3011801 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1313427707|2991297 said:
For me it depends on the cut of the stone. If it was an RB, I would say no more than about 2 cts. If it was any type of square cut, asscher, radiant, ect. I would say up to 3 cts. Really it's about the MM size and for a diamond about 8mm is my comfort limit. My current ring is a 1.06 asscher in a halo which brings it just over that 8mm size. If the diamond itself was that big, no halo, lol!
This!

Pretty much the same for me for an engagement ring. For a RHR I could go up to 10 x 8 or 9x9 or even larger.

But for something I wear everyday and want to feel comfortable wearing at all times 8 mm is my limit too. I have discovered that as much I I knew before that I'm not an RB girl... this has recently been proven to me again and again. I wouldn't want a round brilliant center stone. But a lovely OEC or transitional at 8mm... oh, baby!

My finger size has recently increased to 6.5 by the way. In case that's relevant.

Funny how I'm an asscher with a halo lady too ... great minds think alike.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a lady in waiting but put in my 2 cents. I like "bands" a lot, where it's mostly a band and the stone is bezeled or low set in the band. So I don't think I'd like anything much over 6 mm. Most of the colored stone's I've purchased have been around that size. I actually have a gorgeous large aquamarine (can't remember size, around 8x10 or 10x12). Really nice cut, really nice color. I assumed I would at some point set it in a ring but realized I honestly don't know if I'd wear it that much if I did. So I'm just holding onto it for now.

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
Realistically, the largest I'd want is 1.25-1.5ct RB for everyday. I have a size 5 finger, so anything above 1.5 looks HUGE. When I was a LIW and out shopping with my now FI, we looked at 1.75-2ct but after trying out many many sizes, I felt more comfortable with a 1ct.

Of course, I'd never say no to a 4 or 5ct, but I probably wouldn't wear it on a daily basis.

lvcushion

Rough_Rock
whatamiwithoutapurpose|1316312549|3019844 said:
I'd be happy with 2 carats.

Me too. That would be my ideal to never feel the need for an upgrade, but I've never tried one on so I don't know if I'd feel like everyone was staring at it.

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
I tried on a 1ct and I LOVED it, I could see myself rocking up to 2ct for an e-ring. (OH would never go for it mind), but anything bigger than for an e-ring would look silly on my stubby fingers.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Also not a LIW but I am hoping to upgrade to the 4-5 range in 4 years (at our 15 year anniversary). I don't know what cut I want yet. Either RB or cushion.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
I think anything over .50 is SUPER TACKY! Why I gotta be so GROSS like that!?? *shrug*

I really hope you're being sarcastic. Blasphemy! :-o

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
I have a 7.75mm diamond now (round). It's 1.72 carats in weight.

I would LOVE to one day have an 8.3mm round diamond. I think that's around 2.3 carats? That's my dream size that I'd feel VERY comfortable with... keep in mind my finger size is 7.5 now and 6.5 when I get back down to my ideal weight.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun thread!! :appl:

My ring size is a 5, but I don't have very long, elegant fingers... and I suffer from severe DSS to boot! ::) Since carat sizes can vary, the largest diameter (RB) I feel I could wear on a daily basis would be about a 10-10.5mm (between 3.8 and 4.2 carats maybe??) in a simple solitaire setting.

...and I'd totally rock that bi***!! ;)) :bigsmile: :lol:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maple2012|1378948906|3519050 said:

I really hope you're being sarcastic. Blasphemy! :-o

That post was from 2 years ago so I doubt she'll answer you, but yes, her signature will explain she has a fun sense of humor and likes to poke around. :wavey:

aptp

Rough_Rock
Not a LIW, but noticed that many people in this thread mentioned that they would like a smaller round brilliant than a fancy cut. Do RBs not look good above a certain size? Or do they face up larger? I thought that elongated shapes like marquise, emeralds would look bigger than RBs.

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
aptp|1478142959|4093151 said:
Not a LIW, but noticed that many people in this thread mentioned that they would like a smaller round brilliant than a fancy cut. Do RBs not look good above a certain size? Or do they face up larger? I thought that elongated shapes like marquise, emeralds would look bigger than RBs.

I had to answer this one! I'm taking the GIA Distance Education course on Diamonds and Diamond Grading and I just listened to a lecture by Russell Shor that answered this question precisely! He broke it down into 3 reasons.

1. Larger diamonds (like the HUGE diamonds that go to the auction houses) are cut into fancy shapes rather than RB stones simply because it saves rough diamond weight. A diamond cutter loses a ton more weight cutting a round brilliant diamond compared to cutting a square shape like an emerald cut diamond.

2. Round brilliant diamonds are pretty bottom heavy, carrying around 70% of their weight on the bottom of the diamond. He makes the point of, why do people buy large diamonds? so that people can SEE their large diamonds! In fancy shapes, most of the weight of the diamond is at the top of the diamond where it can be seen :D

3. His last point was brief, but it was this point that made me go back and look up the lecture... After a certain size, round brilliants just don't react to light in the same way that more conventional sizes do.

I hope this answers your question!

interestedinshiny

Rough_Rock
I tried on a 2 ct the other day and it was like a weapon on mass destruction. It looked cray. I felt like my center of mass had gravitated to my hand *leans. For me 1.25 is pushing it, and I love my bling bling! I'd love a 1 ct that is an ideal size for me; classy, comfortable, and big enough to keep LA County satisfied with my perceived wealth.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wear a 2.86 ct oec - faces up like 2.5-2.6 round - on a daily basis in a solitaire setting and I feel comfortable with it. I could go up to 9.5 mm, which is at about 3.3 carat in a round, or 4 ct. in cushion.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted on this thread (back in 2013) that the largest round I'd feel comfortable wearing would be 10-10.5 mm...

Well, I can assure you DSS is real because I now wear a 9.8 mm MRB soli, and I feel 100% confident I could very comfortably sport an 11+mm and not bat an eye. :halo: #thanksDSSandPricescope :shifty::shifty:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be very happy wearing a 10mm sized stone. My Tanzy is 10x8mm, my pink sapphire is 4.56cts, and even though I have small hands, I have big fingers 6.5size and I've found anything less than 2ct MRB looks quite small on me :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results