shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the deal with EGL USA and their support staff?

redhotkurt

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Short time lurker, first time poster.

Some back story: I'm an amateur gem collector still learning the ins and outs. Holy crap, is there a lot to read! I'm still new to this, so I try to be thorough as possible when I encounter something new (to me), like crappy gems sold on eBay, proper gem ID tools to use, or the characteristics of a gem cutter who really knows his/her craft. I dig this kind of stuff, so it's important to me that I soak up the right info.

So, onto yesterday's mini-obsession of mine: EGL reports. While browsing one of my saved searches, I spotted an eBay seller with some questionable EGL certs (I know, shocking, right?). It looked like the same photo was used in the upper left of several of the seller's gem ID cards, so I figured I'd start looking up report numbers on the EGL USA site. I already knew I wasn't going to buy from this seller, but I started wondering just how far an eBay vendor would go to make a couple of bucks. This seller has been around for several years and has a 100% feedback rating, which made the potentially fake ID cards even more of a curiousity.

On the first report number I entered, I got the error "Thank you for your interest in EGL USA Gemological Laboratory. For information on the submitted report number, please contact EGL USA customer service at 888 EGL USA4 (888 345 8724) or [email protected]."

Now, this is the first time I've looked up a report number on EGL's site. I don't know if this message means the report number is fake or their search is broken or what, so I emailed them as suggested. The following is the email dialogue that ensued:

me:
Hi, I'm trying to verify a report from a stone on auction at eBay with the report # 66346867c

I used the form on the EGL site, but it said to send an email. The auction in question is http://m.ebay.com/itm/EGL-USA-TESTED-AND-CERTIFIED-OVAL-RED-0-95CT-RUBY-/351261418206/.. I'm guessing the report in their pics is counterfeit?

Thanks

Kurt

EGL USA Info
Hi Kurt,

Certificate # US66346867C 0.95ct Oval- Natural Ruby

Thank you

Mike

me:

Hi Mike,

The report search function on the EGL site doesn't appear to be working. Any idea when this will be fixed?

EGL USA Info:
Hi Kurt,

We do not have a report search option for gemstones on our website, and wont have one in the near future.

Thank you

Mike

me:

??

Mike, there's a search box on the EGL site (http://www.eglusa.com/) on the left side. It's also here: http://www.eglusa.com/verify-a-report/

It's been over a day. Still haven't heard from "Mike."

Seriously, what the heck, man? Has the report search on EGL's website ever worked? And why would they pretend it doesn't exist?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I know next to nothing about EGL, as its not considered a go to lab. AGL and GIA are the quality labs located in the US that people regularly rely on for verifying information. Both of these labs have look up functions so you can track a report number online. Good luck with your search.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the elaboration - you provided the detail that I glossed over. OP: One of the key issues for choosing a lab is whether the lab has the capability to detect more invasive treatments than heat only in corundum - and it takes specialized equipment to do so, which most labs do not possess. Both GIA and AGL have the equipment.

redhotkurt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info, minousbijoux and Helicoptergem. That was quite helpful.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that EGL doesn't have the equipment to detect many types of enhancements, so now I'm positive I'm going to steer clear of them (when buying gems with reports and also when choosing a lab for verification). I just wish they'd remove the search box from their site, because it's very confusing.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results