shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the deal with Biwa Pearls

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I've started to see a few IG posting for Biwa Pearls. I read about the history of them and it's fascinated. I'm a little confused between the difference between these and keshi pearls. Also, does anyone have opinions on how they look in person in terms of iridescence, color, etc.? Is there another pearl that is kind of like it that I can sort of use as a reference point? I've never seen these in person but I love pearls and gemstones with a good back story and I'm fascinated with these.

1630347520581.png

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Keishi pearls are formed as a serendipitous bonus in the culturing process. A keishi pearl is any pearl which forms spontaneously or through mollusc injury: any way which does not involve human activity
Biwa pearls came from the Japanese freshwater lake called lake Biwa. No pearl farms there any more. The term has been used on any stick pearls for some years. Those pearls look quite like genuine Biwa pearls but are probably just small stick pearls

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Update: I'm told those are indeed genuine biwa pearls. So that answers your question
When I was gathering pearl photos for my book I had to make do with some stunt stand in biwa-ish pearls (I did make this clear in the caption, of course)

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all the input!

Beaders Secret

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello Django

To be a Biwa pearl, the pearl must have been grown in Lake Biwa In Japan, which was the sole home to the mussel species inhabiting that lake. Keshi on the other hand, and as others have said is a term for what is a side effect of farming pearls.

Biwa still has operational farms and harvests but on a very much reduced scale compared to the past.

I have also seen a growing misuse of the term (one of my pet hates) in descriptions/titles of products that are not a shadow on the genuine product that has passed across my workbench. And which a few decided to stay with me

The two photos below are from my wee collection of Biwas

71377379-2B29-476C-8FB2-725BCB1E2C42.jpeg

3B58739F-CCCE-4B3B-ADE6-BA4B1B8563F9.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results