shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the best way to clean stainless steel watches?

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Here's the one I will be getting for Christmas
http://www.movado.com/esq-by-movado/featured-collections/filmore/filmore-07101370.html
I know I probably shouldn't submerge the actual watch part (although it says it's water resistant up to 3 ATM) so should I just use some soapy water and a toothbrush on the bracelet part? Can you take watches like this to a jeweler to be polished? It's very shiny in person, and it will probably get dull after a while. Any other tips for taking care of watches? I'm still new to all the watch stuff.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I love the watch that you are getting! I have a stainless steel Rolex that I've worn for nearly four years now. I use a small toothbrush and warm water with Dawn dishwashing liquid to clean my watch. I will rinse it under the water but I do not submerge it. Then I dry it with a microfiber cloth. Every now and then I have my jeweler clean it for me too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1314233093|2998693 said:
I love the watch that you are getting! I have a stainless steel Rolex that I've worn for nearly four years now. I use a small toothbrush and warm water with Dawn dishwashing liquid to clean my watch. I will rinse it under the water but I do not submerge it. Then I dry it with a microfiber cloth. Every now and then I have my jeweler clean it for me too.
i put my wife's Rolex in the U.S. cleaner... :wacko:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314247708|2998967 said:
Sundial|1314233093|2998693 said:
i put my wife's Rolex in the U.S. cleaner... :wacko:

After I damaged a Maurice Lacroix watch putting it under water because the crown was not all the way down I am more cautious these days!

Baldwin Thompson

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,

Thanks for sharing your valuable suggestion, if you want to give really a good surprise, I use liquid hand soap, water, and a soft toothbrush to clean my watches, especially the ones I know to be waterproof. I sometimes remove the bracelets and run them in the ultrasonic with a tsp of sudsy ammonia for a few minutes. You want to get the grime and grit out of the bracelet as it will wear the pins and links and the bracelet will stretch.

Thanks and Regards

Baldwin Thompso

Sell My Jewelry

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Baldwin Thompson|1315838981|3015759 said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for sharing your valuable suggestion, if you want to give really a good surprise, I use liquid hand soap, water, and a soft toothbrush to clean my watches, especially the ones I know to be waterproof. I sometimes remove the bracelets and run them in the ultrasonic with a tsp of sudsy ammonia for a few minutes. You want to get the grime and grit out of the bracelet as it will wear the pins and links and the bracelet will stretch.

Thanks and Regards

Baldwin Thompso

Sell My Jewelry
THANK YOU! There have been times that Ive tried to explain that build up between the links will damage and stretch the bracelet of a watch over time even if its stainless steel and i got some negative responses from members saying that i didn't know what i was talking about(get the same thing when i try to explain that the use of a toothbrush on a high polished surfaces will scratch or dull the surface is met with less then enthusiasm.).

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman|1315843834|3015811 said:
Baldwin Thompson|1315838981|3015759 said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks and Regards

Baldwin Thompso

Sell My Jewelry
THANK YOU! There have been times that Ive tried to explain that build up between the links will damage and stretch the bracelet of a watch over time even if its stainless steel and i got some negative responses from members saying that i didn't know what i was talking about(get the same thing when i try to explain that the use of a toothbrush on a high polished surfaces will scratch or dull the surface is met with less then enthusiasm.).
i agree with Baldwin on this. but i would use the toothbrush on the under side of the bracelet so that it wont scratch high polished surfaces and also it will help break up the built up stuff that comes off your arms as the bracelet moves on your wrist every day. Also the use of shampoo can help break up the gunk if you don't have dish soap.Keep in mind that stainless steel should not be placed in ammonia for long periods of time...there can be a reaction that darkens the metal so as Baldwin recommends...a small amount for only 10-15 minutes is good enough to loosen the gunk...so loosen with brush,ultrasonic only the bracelet(ultrasonic cleaning is not good for certain automatic or manual movements) and then brush again before rinsing in warm/hot (not boiling)water.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results