shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s that enveleope jewelers hold diamonds in called?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
You know, when you go into a store and ask to see a diamond, the jeweler usually has a box with a bunch of paper packets in it. Usually it''s a whitish paper on the outside with what seems like blue wax paper or cellophane on the inside. It''s all folded up and holds the diamond inside. Usually there are some basic specs on a label on the outside so the jeweler can figure out which packet has which diamond.

Anyone know what to call that paper?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Interesting question, Codex57. Um, diamond paper, maybe?
33.gif

I wonder how that even got started, folding diamonds in these little papers with the blue waxed tissue paper inside? As far back as I can remember (like the 80s), I always remember diamonds being presented that way.

DiamondLil

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, maybe it has no standard name? What do you guys call it?

I need to ask my jeweler if he still has the paper thingy for my diamond. I was a moron and forgot to take it when I got the ring. Was too excited about the finished ring itself and proposing later that day. I want it cuz it had a partial Sarin report on it since it was an Ideal diamond.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe you could just ask him for the "paper thingy" that the diamond was in? why would you need that codex?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm.... "brifke" ? No idea how to spell that one!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Diamond Parcel Paper (overall name).

More detail...

The inside papers are called diamond flutes if they are sheets of glassine liners and diamond cottons if soft cotton fabric liners.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamond parcel paper thingy

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Back when I was young and stupid they were called ''sleeves''. Now that I''m old and stupid they call them ''parcel papers'', at least at the stores that sell them. I rather like Belle''s suggestion of ''paper thingy''. Next time I buy some I''m going to go with that one and see what I get.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is only one name for it, and that is ''briefke''.

''Briefke'' is Flemish for ''small piece of paper'', and this same word is used in any language in the diamond world. In Antwerp, anyone, whether they are Indian, French-speaking or even Japanese, everybody calls this a ''briefke''.

Live long;

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 3:56:57 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
There is only one name for it, and that is 'briefke'.

'Briefke' is Flemish for 'small piece of paper', and this same word is used in any language in the diamond world. In Antwerp, anyone, whether they are Indian, French-speaking or even Japanese, everybody calls this a 'briefke'.

Live long;

Paul,

I accede to your (and Ana's) insight on the origins and global recognition of the term. For codex (OP), in the US these papers can be acquired as I indicated, here (Kassoy supply), as Parcel Papers (flutes and cottons).

Thanks for the lesson on "briefke." Brian and Bob call them "flutes," I have heard jewelers say "sleeves" before and I understand that in some places they may be called "Diamond Parcel Paper Thingys."
2.gif

A rose by any other name... is now a briefke.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m LOL here. And how the heck do you pronounce "briekfe" exactly? Curious minds want to know.
19.gif

DiamondLil

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2005 6:42
6.gif
5 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Paul is correct.
Of course Paul is correct. Paul is always correct. Now we all know the correct Flemo-Japanese word for 'little paper thingy'. I can hardly wait to use it in a conversation.

"Excuse me, would you mind passing me a briefke? It's flute has become wrinkled and I really must replace it before the cotton gets damaged."

Neil

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 7:29:39 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 1/13/2005 6:42
6.gif
5 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Paul is correct.
Of course Paul is correct. Paul is always correct. Now we all know the correct Flemo-Japanese word for ''little paper thingy''. I can hardly wait to use it in a conversation.

''Excuse me, would you mind passing me a briefke? It''s flute has become wrinkled and I really must replace it the cotton gets damaged.''

Neil
39.gif
rofl............
39.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 3:40:23 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
Also referred to as a ''stone paper.''
heh heh he said "stone paper"

9.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2005 7:40:29 PM
Author: laney

heh heh he said ''stone paper''

9.gif
Dude!

Get a new briefke. Your flute is looking like origami.

Neil

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/14/2005 1:34:39 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 1/13/2005 7:40:29 PM
Author: laney

heh heh he said ''stone paper''

9.gif
Dude!

Get a new briefke. Your flute is looking like origami.

Neil
HI:

Stoned for sure. Must be Friday
2.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
As Paul says the “parcel papers” are universality called “briefke’s” meaning small piece of paper.

We where taught that brieke is a derivative of “brief” meaning “letter” and that in the early days the dealers would purchase writing pads and fold the “brieke’s in the traditional way from the pages.

The early days letter writing paper was a lot smaller than today.

Johan

Rainbow Star

Rough_Rock
Is this true?

The G color diamond is a G color?

yyyyyyyyyyyy.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
34.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 3
6.gif
2:59 PM
Author: crankydave
Hmmmm... ''Briefke'', Flemish, is a derivative of ''brief'' meaning ''letter''. Okay, a ''letter'' can be found in the ''alphabet'' which can be found in ''soup''. Now the ''soup'' can be from ''Campbell'' not to be confused with ''Earl Campbell'' who ran the ball for ''Houston''. Follow me so far? Okay, ''Houston'' gives us the ''Astros'' who play on a ''Diamond'' and would be a whole lot better on ''paper'' if they could hit the ''thingy''!

Ergo and Ipsy Dipsy... Proof positive, it''s a ''Diamond Paper Thingy''

Dave
Now who''s smokin'' a whole lotta stone paper with some setters??!!
31.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I''m surprised that no one informed consumer of why BLUE papers inside are used.

Blue hides yellow! Makes the diamond look far less yellow, assuming of course the diamond does have some body color.

I use parcel papers that have a white filler....

Also watch for yellow fillers in parcel papers where rubies are shown.

Rockdoc

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 4
6.gif
8:13 PM
Author: RockDoc
I''m surprised that no one informed consumer of why BLUE papers inside are used.

Blue hides yellow! Makes the diamond look far less yellow, assuming of course the diamond does have some body color.

I use parcel papers that have a white filler....

Ohhhhh, good to know. Thanks. I thought that blue made all the diamonds look real pretty and white.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A traditional word for a diamond paper is a "cachette" A small hiding place, in French.... In our world, today, Diamond Paper or the one Paul has suggested are as common, or more so. Plastic bags are quickly replacing inner sleeves of translucent paper.... What doesn''t change?

Rock is right with the blue sleeves masking a tinge of yellow. Beige sleeves make brownies harder to spot, shiny black helps translucent white opals, yellow pumps up the red in Burma rubies... White sleeves are sometimes used best for I/J/K color ranges and for blue sapphires.

The eye is confused by some color combinations and some colrs are enhanced with specific background coloration. There is an art to this magic. No one says it is just a simple parlour trick.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Looooooove the education in this thread.
36.gif
But my personal favorite is 'diamond parcel paper thingy.' DL, I think you're onto something.
34.gif
I've always liked the crispiness of them. You can always tell when a DPPT has never been or has only been infrequently opened.
2.gif

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 5:46:19 PM
Author: oldminer
A traditional word for a diamond paper is a ''cachette'' A small hiding place, in French.... In our world, today, Diamond Paper or the one Paul has suggested are as common, or more so. Plastic bags are quickly replacing inner sleeves of translucent paper.... What doesn''t change?

Rock is right with the blue sleeves masking a tinge of yellow. Beige sleeves make brownies harder to spot, shiny black helps translucent white opals, yellow pumps up the red in Burma rubies... White sleeves are sometimes used best for I/J/K color ranges and for blue sapphires.

The eye is confused by some color combinations and some colrs are enhanced with specific background coloration. There is an art to this magic. No one says it is just a simple parlour trick.

“Cachette” There is also another meaning to this traditional word.

Here is the meaning in context.

A dealer offers me a diamond for say $2000.00, I am not to happy with this price so offer $1800.00 valid for 1 week. We place the diamond in an envelope seal it and I sign over the seal with a final offer date.

This action is called placing the diamond in “cachette”.

At any time up the expiry date the owner can call on me to pay $1800.00 and take the diamond, I am obliged under the unwritten code to honor the agreement.
If the owner breaks the seal to show the diamond to another buyer then I have no further obligation to buy.

The seller must think carefully, If he breaks the seal the $1800.00 is off the table, He may be able to get more by showing the stone but then must take the risk of losing my offer.

This tradition has not been used much since the introduction of certification. Still quiet popular though with larger single rough diamonds.
Johan

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great story Johan - never heard it before - there are so many levels to this business.

Dave the color''s of parcels is only subordinated to the types of lighting used at trade fairs. Tungsten parafloods for rubies at one end of a booth and fluoro over the sapphs and tanzanite at the other
10.gif

The other thing with a Brivka is the dealers see how competent you are at opening them and set their prices accordingly.
If you can open and close them while carrying on a conversation and not flick .005ct diamonds every where when you have a 1,000ct parcel that is about 8 inches wide and 4 inches deep and litterally stuffed with diamonds, then you get a really good price.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
6.gif
Hmmmm... ''Briefke'', Flemish, is a derivative of ''brief'' meaning ''letter''. Okay, a ''letter'' can be found in the ''alphabet'' which can be found in ''soup''. Now the ''soup'' can be from ''Campbell'' not to be confused with ''Earl Campbell'' who ran the ball for ''Houston''. Follow me so far? Okay, ''Houston'' gives us the ''Astros'' who play on a ''Diamond'' and would be a whole lot better on ''paper'' if they could hit the ''thingy''!

Dave
OK since this is now a quizz on origins.
What is the story and the significance of McCains and frozen food?

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
6.gif

Dave
crankydave, that is the best use of six degrees of seperation I''ve ever seen.
33.gif
You must have studied alot to come to such a conclusion
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results