shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s in your home gym?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Just curious to hear what you own for at-home workouts (if anything). Do you use these things regularly?

I have an exercise ball, 5 lb hand weights and some yoga stuff, but that''s it, and I really don''t use anything much except for the ball (as a desk chair and to stretch/situps).

I was thinking about getting a Bosu Balance trainer, but I spotted one at my gym today (YAY!) so now I don''t think I''m going to spring for it. I''d love to have an elliptical at home, but I wonder if I''d use it as much as I think I would in my mind :)

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a bunch of Firm stuff:

Fanny Lifter (their smaller step, a 6 inch piece and an 8 inch piece, 14 inches when stacked together)
Transfirmer (their wider step, same height as above but can be put on an incline for lunges, chest, and ab work)
Sculpting stick (something like 8 or 10 pounds)
3, 5, 8, and 10 lb. dumbbells (I rarely use the 10lb.ers)
a bunch of DVDs

That''s the stuff I use most often. I do have one of those heavy balls you hold in your hand and a resistance cord, but I rarely use them.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Treadmill & free weights - I would love to have a home pilates machine - that''s next on the list

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock

We have a treadmill and an elliptical machine for cardio. We also have a flat bench with various weight equipment. My husband recently bought me the Wii Fit, but I haven''t tried it yet. I''m anxious to check it out for yoga/pilates types exercises since that is where I slack the most!

I love my cardio equipment. I use it more in the winter since I love to exercise outside when the weather is nice, but I still feel like I use it often enought to justify owning it. I have a tv (with tivo) and dvd player so I always have something good to watch. I love to catch up on fun tv while exercising. I like to watch tv series on dvd''s and only allow myself to watch if I''m going to work out. Sex and the City episodes are great for me -- I know I can run 3.5 miles during one episode.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treadmill
elliptical
Bowflex dumbells
Multigym with free weights

I use the treadmill most days, the elliptical occasionally. I have a TV and DVD player set up also which makes the time go faster.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I don''t belong to a gym. My home gym is it.
I have a Stepmill (Stairmaster with stairs)
elliptical
Precor Functional Trainer
Bosu
freeweights
various bands and balls

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Rower
Recumbent Bike
Dumbbells (the kind you add on/take off the weight rings on the ends to increase/decrease the weight)
Exercise ball
TV (I need to watch TV while I bike or I lose motivation)

ETA: I use the bike 5 times a week, along with the weights. I used to use the rower almost daily but I've found it a bit noisy for condo living. I have been slacking on my excercise ball. Oh, I do Wii boxing once in a while to get a smidge of fun cardio in.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My gym includes:

Life Fitness X3 eliptical (use 2X per week)
Aerobic Step (use 2X per week)
5 & 8 lbs. dumb bells (use 2-4X per week)
one of those elastic bands for weights (never use!)
yoga matt (rarely use)
and TONS of DVDs - floor & step aerobics, weights, yoga, etc.

I also have a yoga ball but deflated it because it always ended up getting bounced/kicked around the house which got on my nerves.

ETA - and regarding the eliptical, my DH wanted one and decided to go full-out and got us a nice one - the Life Fitness model was over $2500! I worried he'd never use it and didn't think we really needed it because I've been happy with aerobics. Well, as it turns out, he NEVER uses it, but I love to use it a few times per week and it's so gentle on my knees! Since we don't go to a gym, I guess it's worth the $ over the years I'll use it.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I range from the simple and cheap to the upper priced good items:

Rubber tubing for simple back exercises (moderately used as this really works for a certain minor upper back issue).

A large balls to sit on and do mid section balancing/strengthening exercises (rarely used these days - but used a lot for 6 months after a minor injury).

Total Gym - the advanced home gym model (which was much better built than the one advertised on TV at the time - and you need to go to the Total Gym site to be able to get). I used to use this a lot (3-5 times a week); but pulled off due to other issues (initially injury, then focus on other health issues). Now looking to restart using it.

A couple comments of praise for this machine:

1) It is the first exercise machine I owned that I did not break or wear out within 3 months (and I had previously purchased and broke 3 or 4 other machines). Incredibly well built. It literally has several years of use on it (i.e > 700 days of use) and the only thing that has now appeared is a chip on the glide table wheels - and Total Gym will sell me a replacement set of wheels for less than $20.

2) Unless you have a specific injury - you cannot injure yourself with this machine if you stick to the exercises they provide. I have lived with a damaged knee for decades that was injured on a leg exercise machine when I was in college (using an exercise in their book and taught by the fitness center I had joined). You can injure yourself on other equipment out there - not all of the exercises provided are appropriate for all. I had a very interesting talk with a physical therapist who has been astounded by the number of people who get referred due to injuries by using other exercise equipment.

3) I have now been inside 2 hospital based physical therapy clinics. Both of them had a Total Gym (along with other equipment). Both of them were using the Total Gym on a regular basis for certain things. The physical therapist were very impressed that I had a quality version of the machine at home (hospitals buy the "professional" model, which is more rugged than the Advanced Home Gym model, which is a lot more rugged than the TV offered model). The physical therapist just directed me to focus on certain exercises that are in the total gym exercise manual for the issues I had at the time.

I also have a Landice Treadmill (cardio trainer). Another machine I have not been able to break. Since I have my past history of actually using equipment and having it fail in a few months I researched treadmills. Treadmill Doctors is a web based company that sells repair parts and other supplies to people. They also do reviews on treadmills and make recommendations (in price ranges).

Here is their most striking comment on Landice:

"If more companies were willing to or could afford to put this quality of parts into their machines, we would be out of work."

http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Reviews/Landice-Treadmill-Review-Index

Now a couple of comments: Back when I was not really overweight by much (at about 200 Lb) I had home exercise equipment (rowing machines, stationary bike) or used machines at "friends" houses. The Sears rowing machines broke in less than a month of mostly daily use; and while repair parts were provide, they didn''t last any longer. I also broke or wore out several machines at "friends" places (they did not appreciate that).

Most exercise equipment that is sold to consumers is not designed to be used much. The Mfr''s know that most people rarely use their equipment.

If you are actually planning to use your equipment long term, if you are substantially overweight (I am 90 Lb overweight) - you need much better equipment than what is sold in most stores. It is not cheap.

I was 100 Lb overweight when I first got the Total Gym many years ago and the Landice Treadmill. They stood up to both the daily use for months and to the excess weight.

A Landice treadmill starts at about $3000 (which includes delivery - note that they weigh about 300 Lb). I have no regrets.

An "Advanced Home Gym" model Total Gym (Model 14000) is now their base model and starts at about $1650 (how times have changed). Many people want to pay for the "power tower" these days.

Anyway, I will be restarting a formal exercise program again - and these two machines are the base of it. I am currently using the treadmill a limited amount each day; but not nearly as much as I used to use it. My knee does not stand up to a lot of routine treadmill use; so I will adjust accordingly.

Have a great day,

Perry

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
We have an elliptical and weights. However my 5 year old son gives the best work out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s see... hubby and I have an elliptical machine, spinning cycle, kickboxing bag, exercise ball, Bosu ball and full set of free weights. We''re planning on adding a rowing machine. We tried one out (can''t remember the brand) that was all wood and uses water as the resistance. It felt so comfortable and you can set it upright for storage. Definitely need a tv though... I think that would help to get through the workouts.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
We have:
two exercise balls (his size and mine)
tons of free weights - hundreds and hundreds of pounds
small dumbbells for me (3, 5, and 7 lbs)
lots of DVDs
A huge workout rack (I think that''s what it''s called) complete with a bench etc.
DH just got the P90X program

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Fun thread!

We have a treadmill, elliptical machine, Total Gym (mostly DHs), Ab Lounger 2 (free from his brother!), lots of free weights (dumb bells, hand and ankle weights) plus a weight bench, Pilates mats, exercise ball, resistance bands, a TV with a VHS/DVD player and at least 50 workout videos. And oh yeah, a full length wall mirror to remind me why I'm there!!!
9.gif

On the wish list: a recumbent bike. Maybe someday!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of interest, has anyone tried the Bowflex Treadclimber? That looks interesting...

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
We have a gym in our building, and we belong to the gym across the street, so we don''t have anything specifically in our home.

However, I was thinking about getting my fiance a rowing machine as my wedding gift to him (he keeps talking about wanting one). Are there any good models out there that you would recommend, that would hold up to daily wear? I''m looking to spend $1200 max.

Thanks!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
At this time I don''t belong to any gyms so my home gym is all kinds of fun.
I have:
Tread mill
some kind of weird crunch machine my grandma uses
big workout ball
yoga mat
yoga blocks
3 and 5 lb hand weights
resistance bands (long and short)
jump rope
a LOT of DVD''s
Fit TV
horses :)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
We built an addition on our house, and have a 500 sqft gym. Here''s the list:

Bowflex
Recumbent Bike
Elliptical
Concept2 Rower
Dumbbell rack
balls/bands/etc etc
Pilates reformer

+ 1 "Fitness Nazi" twice a week....she''s here at 5:30 on Saturday mornign....YIKES!

LS

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t technically have a home gym, but I do work out at home (and in the neighborhood) and this is all I need:

- One jump rope
- Free weights (10 lb, 12 lb, 15 lb)
- One hybrid bicycle
- Rollerblades

Jumping rope is the best cardio workout ever. I started when I used to kickbox, and I never stopped because it''s so great. I bike and rollerblade when it''s nice out, and lift weights and do a lot of body work that really just requires a body and some floor space.

And then I go to Bally Total Fitness during the long, cold Chicago winter.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I prefer to exercise at home, so I have a TON of DVD''s and videos, including Buns of Steel, some Jari Love DVD''s, 30 day shred and Cardio max form the Biggest Loser folks

I have P90x, which kicks your butt!
stability ball
Chin-up bar
thigh master
resistance bands
10lb and 5lb hand weights
stair stepper
Rollerblades
... oh yeah, my dog!

At my parents house, I have an exercise bike, elliptical, weight machine et al...

And with all of these resources, you would be AMAZED at how much weight I have managed to put on...
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results