shape
carat
color
clarity

What's in the Cut (and Color)? OMC, OEC, ACC

Hernani Jr

Rough_Rock
Hello, I'd like to get opinions on what my antique diamond is--- an Old Mine Cut? Old European Cut? or an Antique Cushion Cut? It was sold to me as an "Oval Old European Cut" a candle-lit stone, I hence pertained to it in a comment to one of the posts here in PS as an OEC. However reading about antique diamond cuts, I've read somewhere that Old European Cuts are circular/round?

Here's the diamond:
IMG_E0248.JPG
IMG_E0259.JPG

A bit of a background--- I bought it from an Antiques Dealer as an Oval European Cut of 4.8 Carats set in a plain 14K WG band and 8 Prong YG Setting. I gave the vintage setting a 2 month run before I designed a new setting for it. Now set in a 14K WG eternity band with .10 carat diamonds. Flanked by 2 E-F .51 carat each brilliants. The center diamond set in YG. In a size 9.5 ring.

IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_E0236.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG

To add a question, what's your opinion on its color? I personally love it and chose this diamond over a modern 4.7 carat colorless brilliant that the antiques dealer was similarly offering. I personally love this diamond and wouldn't have made any other choice.

IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_E0240.JPG

Thanks PS! <3

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This looks like a classic old mine cut given the pillowy shape, big culet and faceting!

It’s charming and I love the color. I may also be a bit biased because I just bought a low color old miner myself (it’s a pale yellowy hue)

Here’s an article explaining some differences

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Also, can you post a profile pic of your ring? Looks like your stone has the chunky facets and culet facet, for sure. But not sure about the crown angle...do you know what the depth percentage of your stone is?

You definitely have an OMC or Antique Cushion Cut. These resources may help.

ETA: I *think* the term Antique Cushion Cut is more of an industry designation determined by Length/Width ratio. I, however, can not find out what the Length/ Width threshold is! Hopefully, a trade member will chime in because I have always been curious, too.

Last edited:

Hernani Jr

Rough_Rock
Also, can you post a profile pic of your ring? Looks like your stone has the chunky facets and culet facet, for sure. But not sure about the crown angle...do you know what the depth percentage of your stone is?

You definitely have an OMC or Antique Cushion Cut. These resources may help.

ETA: I *think* the term Antique Cushion Cut is more of an industry designation determined by Length/Width ratio. I, however, can not find out what the Length/ Width ratio is! Hopefully, a trade member will chime in because I have always been curious, too.

Unfortunately, don't have information regarding crown angle and depth percentage. But here's the Profile image of the ring if it helps.

IMG_E0237.JPG
IMG_E0293.JPG
IMG_E0294.JPG

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The oldest of oldmine cut diamonds are nearly square or rectangular. More recently cut oldminers begin to lose their corners and those became cushion shaped or nearly founded. As time went on and technology changed, diamonds were cut in round shapes and are called old European cuts. The amount of good symmetry in your oldmine cut indicates it is sort of into the transitional period from oldmine to ole Euro. What you call it is sort of secondary to how it looks and if it appeals to your own eyes. Possibly, it was a far older cut and "improved" by some recutting. THat's often the case. It looks really great!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Grading the color of stones like this is incredibly difficult while holding the stone. If the color is lighter than Fancy Light Yellow, it should hypothetically be graded table down. But how can you ignore the face up?
It means that there’s times a stone looks really yellow and it’s still not “fancy”.
Trying to guess from pics????
Totally useless:)
But it’s a lovely stone!!!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like an Antique Cushion Cut to me. Very beautiful! Due to cushion shape and relatively lower crown height than OMC.

Last edited:

Hernani Jr

Rough_Rock
I would love to have it graded by the GIA but the nearest GIA Center is a 2-4hr plane ride (to another country) from where I'm from. I'm just in love with the idea of how possibly old this stone is. The history it has gone through and the people whom have worn it at some point in time.

IMG_E0245.JPG
IMG_E0252.JPG
IMG_E0254.JPG

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to have it graded by the GIA but the nearest GIA Center is a 2-4hr plane ride (to another country) from where I'm from. I'm just in love with the idea of how possibly old this stone is. The history it has gone through and the people whom have worn it at some point in time.

IMG_E0245.JPG
IMG_E0252.JPG
IMG_E0254.JPG

Regardless of what any piece of paper would designate it as, it is stunning and a lovely stone in a gorgeous setting. Great choice and perfect selection of colourless side stones and yellow basket to really play up it's yellow colour. Would love to see a video of it if you can humour the PS hordes :)
11/10 gorgeous.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning and perfect in every way (except not being mine!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results