shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
So my BF and I have been talking marriage for a while now and he will probably propose in the spring. He is allowing me to pick out the ring I want (yay!!). My dilemma is choosing where to buy the diamond and the setting. We went shopping at a local Shane Co. and had an okay experience. I know they are a B&M but overall it wasn''t a horrible experience. I thought they would be best to buy from (before I found PS) because of their larger selection of quality diamonds. After learning even more about diamonds and reading the many threads on PS about Shane Co, I am not quite sure this is where I want to buy my diamond from.

I know WF and GOG are both highly regarded on this forum and I feel like buying either an ACA or one of GOG''s Hearts and Arrows would definitely meet my standards and give me a beautiful diamond. However, this is where the problems come into play. My BF would much prefer to see the actual diamond before purchasing it and is very wary of making such a large purchase online. He doesn''t have much trust in any online website. But he also doesn''t have internet access and is unable to check out these websites and their credentials and reviews as often as I can. My BF is also planning on financing part of the cost of my ring. Shane Co. offers financing, but WF and GOG do not. BF also feels buying a diamond online will take all romance out of the proposal since I will most likely be the one to carry out the purchase (because he doesn''t have internet), even if he is paying for it.

I feel like if I buy an Idealscope and take it to Shane Co. to check out their diamonds then I should be able to find a greatly cut diamond. Their prices seem to be similar to what is available on WF. But, I know none of Shane Co''s diamonds are certified by the GIA or AGS. The only real problem I have with Shane Co. (at the moment..) is that I don''t feel their employees have much knowledge on diamonds. When we last went in, I don''t think the saleslady was prepared for how much I already knew about them (I had done much research at that point, but didn''t know nearly as much as I know now
3.gif
). When we started looking at diamonds, I told her my specifications of our budget ($4000 for setting and diamond) and the specs for the diamond (no lower than a G, SI1) and she tried to convince me to go to an I1! She brought out an 0.88 H SI2 (clearly not even in my standards that I told her and it was over-budget) and then a 1.2 F I1 and told me that because "all of their diamonds have an excellent cut" that inclusions don''t matter.

I really just don''t know what to do. On the one hand, I like to have that face-to-face experience when buying jewelry and being able to try it on. But, I''m afraid that if I buy a diamond from Shane Co. that I will always wonder if I could have gotten a better diamond from WF or GOG for the same money.

So, what would you do?

Ghumbs

Rough_Rock
If you need to go to a B&M, E.E. Robbins is a really good one in our area. I went with my brother to purchase his wife''s engagement ring there and it was not a typical jeweler experience at all. He went with an 88 facet (which I, personally, wouldn''t), but only because they put 3 stones in front of him and that was the one he liked the best without knowing which was which.

What styles of setting are you looking for?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you must buy from a B&M... is there a Jareds near you? check out their Peerless, however, their price might be a bit high. you could check out their other loose stones, not sure about GIA graded stones or if IGI. If GIA graded, then you could be in luck with just the numbers and go from there?

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
in what part of the country do you live?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I would not hesitate to go with GOG or WF. Their prices are IMO much better than Shane, Jarreds, etc. and their diamonds are so much better. What type of setting are you thinking of?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 1:58:22 PM
Author: D&T
if you must buy from a B&M... is there a Jareds near you? check out their Peerless, however, their price might be a bit high. you could check out their other loose stones, not sure about GIA graded stones or if IGI. If GIA graded, then you could be in luck with just the numbers and go from there?
Ditto this. But you cal also let him use the internet at your house to do some of his own research.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Kentucky. I don''t think there is a E.E. Robbins in my area as I have never even heard of it. I believe there is a Jared''s not too far from me and I have looked at their Peerless collection. However, I would have to go down to about a .5 to .6 for their prices.

And I am looking at solitaire settings. Preferably a cathedral or one where the diamond is set a little low. I also like settings that are a littler thicker and have more substance to them.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well if thats the case, I would strongly advise on Going with PS vendors so you get more bang for your buck...really really
4.gif

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
i had this same problem. I wanted to buy from WF or GOG, but my Dh was not into buying over the internet. So, I found a setting I liked. Its a simon G trellis. When I did a search for it, I found local B&M that carried that line.

I did my research online as far as cut specs and took that with me when I went shopping at the B&M sotres. I established a relationship with a buyer for a B&M and gave him what I was looking for. He was able to find a few and i scoped those out in person. He was able to run a sarin report for me, which was nice. It may not be a H&A or ACA stone, but its close and I went in with the knowledge of what an H&A would cost as well as a stone that was just below that in quality.

I got the specs I wanted at a price that was very fair and my DH was happy b/c he bought it in person.

Being an educated consumer will go along way. Start at Shane co, etc, then go to other places to compare stones, after a while you will be able to see a difference and you will be able to tell the quality stones from the not to nice ones.

Good luck!!

BAM54321

Rough_Rock
If in the end you decide that you must buy at a B&M, I would second D&T's recommendation. You mentioned financing the purchase- I am not familar with the options available when it comes to GOG or WF- perhaps someone more familar can chime in. I must say that I have NO doubt that you would in fact get a better diamond for the money if you buy from GOG or WF.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
My recommendation would definitely be a PS vendor for one very major reason. I personally do not feel that a purchase like this should be financed, a luxury item is not something worth going into debt. If you go with a WF ACA or a GOG Signature stone, you have generous lifetime buyback and upgrade policies so could purchase a stone you can afford now and once more funds are available, upgrade to your chosen size with full credit for your original purchase.

*Stepping off my soapbox*

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there are shops that will finance with zero % for 12 months... ie: Jareds... but remember pay it off before the 12 months is up otherwise, you get dinged retroactive interests. If that happens, then my sense would be whats another 12 months worth of savings for bigger bling?

Also Check Pearlmans jewelers. He can also source you diamonds, and has financing option.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go with an online vendor that isn''t local to your state.

No sales tax = more money for the diamond+setting.
9.gif

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all your replies and advice!

mintve: Thanks for sharing your experience. We will probably end up doing something like this. Start out at Shane Co. (hopefully I will have an Idealscope) and see what we can get there. Then if I don''t find a diamond I''m happy with, I can hopefully convince the BF to venture our search online.

jet2ks: I also am not very comfortable with my BF going into debt over this. However, he doesn''t really like the thought of upgrades. So, he wants this ring to be the only e-ring I ever get, which is why he is allowing me to pick it out. He wants to make sure this is a ring I will always want to wear. Personally, it would be fine with me to go with a smaller diamond now and then upgrade later once our funds have increased. But, I don''t want to force him to let me upgrade my ring if he doesn''t want me to.

LaruenThePartier: This is definitely one of the reasons I am attracted to buying online! I definitely would have more money for a bigger diamond!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2009 1:58:22 PM
Author: D&T
or a HoF dealer near you?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DH could only afford $1500 when we got engaged, so he got me what he could afford, which was a sapphire in a solitiare. Now almost 5 years later we have bought a new diamond ring. It worked for us because I wanted a large diamond and it wasn''t going to happen at the time.

I really think you shouldn''t let him go into dept either, it isn''t good practice, which you seem to agree with. I wouldn''t feel good wearing something that my FI was in dept over! Just my thoughts
4.gif

Will be agree to let you chip in? It isn''t romantic and many women and men think it is yucky, but lots of couples go that route. Sounds like your bf wouldn''t go for it, but thought I''d throw it out there.

Final thought -- if you buy online the ring can be returned. So it isn''t totally sight unseen. All he has to do is call WF or GOG and tell them what he wants, no internet needed with those vendors their diamonds are gorgeous. Then he can see it and decide if it meets his hopes. Send it back if he doesn''t like it. And then surprise you! Why does he get to call the shots about where it is bought if you are doing all the work picking it out?
2.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I''d lean towards the PS vendors. I was in a similar situation when I bought my e-ring, and I went with the B&M store. I do love the stone I ended up with, but I do wish I had bought from a PS vendor. I would be really glad of the upgrade policy now, and I really think I could have gotten something just that *little bit* better. I vote for the PS vendor!!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I don''t get why people always want to step in and lecture when someone mentions wanting to finance a ring or any other purchase for that matter. I think that''s a personal decision people make and its between the couple or up to the individual. There are many people who finance rings either through 0 percent or other methods. Who are we to judge. People have different priorities and ways of handing things, that''s what makes the world go ''round.Just reading here you would think no one on pricescope is EVER in debt or ever the least bit financially irresponsiible.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 10:48:05 PM
Author: Sizzle
I guess I don''t get why people always want to step in and lecture when someone mentions wanting to finance a ring or any other purchase for that matter. I think that''s a personal decision people make and its between the couple or up to the individual. There are many people who finance rings either through 0 percent or other methods. Who are we to judge. People have different priorities and ways of handing things, that''s what makes the world go ''round.Just reading here you would think no one on pricescope is EVER in debt or ever the least bit financially irresponsiible.
I think it isn''t a good PS thread without a little lecture. Nor is it a really good PS thread without a little rightious indignation about the lecturing either.
41.gif
2.gif
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2009 10:48:05 PM
Author: Sizzle
sizzle- I have lectured on financing because I have been there, done that on my first e-ring and regrettably so not the ring itself but in hindsight if I had known about PS back then - I would have done things differently, and would like to give other alternatives if they have not thought of it before, just different perspective to bring to the tables if those that are contemplating financing luxury goods - and the "catch" with interest if it has not been fully researched. However, I digress and I apologize to the OP.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
dreamer_dachsie: He definitely wouldn''t let me chip in. That''s just the kind of person he is. I really wish he would be keen on the idea of upgrading. He gets a little annoyed sometimes because I probably bring up us getting engaged and rings/prices/sizes and PS about once a day.
3.gif
So sometimes, he just doesn''t want to talk about it. Last time I asked him how he would feel about upgrading he just brushed it off because I had already mentioned rings a few times. I also think he thought I wanted a large diamond now and an even bigger one later, which isn''t the case. But, I think it''s much more practical for us to get a good quality 0.5 ct diamond now (which he can easily afford) and then upgrade for our fifth anniversary for example. He may be more keen to this idea than I suspect. I will bring it up again in a month or so.
2.gif
And thank you for mentioning the return policies. It gives me a little peace of mind. This would also be a great way for us to compare diamonds (perhaps a WF ACA vs a Shane Co Classic).

But, really I don''t mind hearing anyone''s opinions on financing. I appreciate people letting me know what their experiences were, etc. I certainly did not know or think of the fact that retroactive finance charges may be applied if the balance is paid off early. I have a credit card that had an "introductory 0% APR" but didn''t get the retroactive charges. So, I was glad that D&T mentioned that. It is definitely something to consider when financing anything.

I really think that if I take him back into Shane Co. with an Idealscope (and the HCA page loaded onto my phone and ready to calculate) and show him that we could get a much better quality diamond online, then he will want to do that. He is very into learning about diamonds and wants to make sure I get a good quality diamond. I have taught him well.
2.gif
He actually suggested that we up the budget a little so that I could get a nicely sized diamond that also had good cut, color, clarity, light return, etc. He is completely turned off by the idea of Kay''s and Zales because he knows they don''t have excellent diamonds. So, I think once the time comes to actually buy the ring and he sees how much better he could get for the same size diamond and the same amount of money (plus no taxes!), then he will change his mind. I''m just an anxious LIW and think about this stuff constantly, while he would rather wait until the proposal time gets closer to talk about it.
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2009 10:50:50 AM
Author: MayFlowers
dreamer_dachsie: He definitely wouldn''t let me chip in. That''s just the kind of person he is. I really wish he would be keen on the idea of upgrading. He gets a little annoyed sometimes because I probably bring up us getting engaged and rings/prices/sizes and PS about once a day.
3.gif
So sometimes, he just doesn''t want to talk about it. Last time I asked him how he would feel about upgrading he just brushed it off because I had already mentioned rings a few times. I also think he thought I wanted a large diamond now and an even bigger one later, which isn''t the case. But, I think it''s much more practical for us to get a good quality 0.5 ct diamond now (which he can easily afford) and then upgrade for our fifth anniversary for example. He may be more keen to this idea than I suspect. I will bring it up again in a month or so.
2.gif
And thank you for mentioning the return policies. It gives me a little peace of mind. This would also be a great way for us to compare diamonds (perhaps a WF ACA vs a Shane Co Classic).

But, really I don''t mind hearing anyone''s opinions on financing. I appreciate people letting me know what their experiences were, etc. I certainly did not know or think of the fact that retroactive finance charges may be applied if the balance is paid off early. I have a credit card that had an ''introductory 0% APR'' but didn''t get the retroactive charges. So, I was glad that D&T mentioned that. It is definitely something to consider when financing anything.

I really think that if I take him back into Shane Co. with an Idealscope (and the HCA page loaded onto my phone and ready to calculate) and show him that we could get a much better quality diamond online, then he will want to do that. He is very into learning about diamonds and wants to make sure I get a good quality diamond. I have taught him well.
2.gif
He actually suggested that we up the budget a little so that I could get a nicely sized diamond that also had good cut, color, clarity, light return, etc. He is completely turned off by the idea of Kay''s and Zales because he knows they don''t have excellent diamonds. So, I think once the time comes to actually buy the ring and he sees how much better he could get for the same size diamond and the same amount of money (plus no taxes!), then he will change his mind. I''m just an anxious LIW and think about this stuff constantly, while he would rather wait until the proposal time gets closer to talk about it.
9.gif
oh no, the finance don''t get tacked on IF you pay off early, but if you forget and pay the last bill a little too late, then it gets retroactive interest is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion
15.gif

Yes, definitely agree with the WF diamond review and return period... 30 days is well worth the peace of mind
36.gif

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks D&T for clearing that up!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Shane Classic and love it. I like the comfort of having a store nearby where I can walk in and hand over my ring and they fix it - no problems, no questions, no fees. I own a few dozen pieces of their jewelry (most semi mounts with colored stones) and never regretted buying any of it.

outatouch0

Shiny_Rock
We see this type of post from time to time: "how do i convince my SO?...
I think this becomes almost inevitable where one is doing much more research and becomes much more knowlegeable about diamonds and the buying process than the other. Especially if the less researched one has veto power over the decision. In this case the soulution seems to be getting on the same page so to speak.
If the decision is to be made together then so must the research be done as well.

brellymom

Shiny_Rock
For lots of reasons I went with a local B&M. I found no problem going in with my PS knowledge, Idealscope, H&A Viewer, and lots of printouts. The sales associate was very patient, interested in hearing about the HCA scores, and allowed me to use all my "toys" to select the diamond I wanted. I paid a very slight premium - which I considered worth it to see the stone in person before I bought. Had my circumstances been otherwise, I would have gone with an internet dealer, but I have to say my B&M experience was positive, and I certainly got a much better stone than I would have without PS!

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
PS vendors gets my vote here. I was the same way and wanted to see the actual diamond. Well what you get from PS vendors are all the images that you need and in fact, it makes you more comfortable buying this way then going in person and having sales people try to sell you a diamond that you do not know much about. In my experience, I strongly recommend Brian Gavin (BGD). Me and my FI just got engaged not even 2 weeks ago and we worked with Brian and Lesley. AMAZING experience, highly recommended. My diamond is an 2.39 H SI1 and completely eye clean, flawless! Every image of the stone and certificates were provided. They work with your budget! Best of luck in your find! I went through the same thing :)
Brian Gavin Signature H&A Diamond inventory

BGD's photo's of rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results