shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
I have two OEC rings from my great aunts, one very nice, about .70-.75 (had been reset, not a vintage setting) and another just a bit smaller (from my favorite aunt), with a huge chip in the girdle and another chip/fracture on the crown. I sent it off to Brian Gavin to see about recutting. We spoke today and he is concerned about what may happen to the crown when it is removed from the setting, and how very small it might turn out after cutting away the damage. I am not concerned with how little the $$ value would be of a very small stone, instead, due to the sentiment involved, I would rather have a much smaller stone that I can set and wear, than a broken diamond in a ring I would not wear in a million years.

What would you do, would you recut (to OEC of course) despite the risk? Or just keep it as is, knowing that you will NEVER wear it?

I found some pendant ideas on eBay and may look for a few additional small stones to add for something along these lines.

VintagePendant_Ideas.JPG

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 12:00:57 AM
Author:shady71
I have two OEC rings from my great aunts, one very nice, about .70-.75 (had been reset, not a vintage setting) and another just a bit smaller (from my favorite aunt), with a huge chip in the girdle and another chip/fracture on the crown. I sent it off to Brian Gavin to see about recutting. We spoke today and he is concerned about what may happen to the crown when it is removed from the setting, and how very small it might turn out after cutting away the damage. I am not concerned with how little the $$ value would be of a very small stone, instead, due to the sentiment involved, I would rather have a much smaller stone that I can set and wear, than a broken diamond in a ring I would not wear in a million years.

What would you do, would you recut (to OEC of course) despite the risk? Or just keep it as is, knowing that you will NEVER wear it?

I found some pendant ideas on eBay and may look for a few additional small stones to add for something along these lines.

shady--I would probably take the risk in having it recut. There''s no sense in having a piece of jewelry sitting in your jewelry box that you don''t use. I have the same issue with my grandmother''s rings. I had one reset, and have no idea what to do with the other. A lot of people will tell you you shouldn''t mess with antique/vintage jewelry, but if it''s not in a useable condition anyway, you should go for it. That way you can wear the stone and remember your aunt.

And I really like both of those pendants.
9.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have it recut. The pendants would be really pretty.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
If there is no way you can wear it as it, I''d have it recut. A diamond is useless in a jewelry box!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
If you didn''t want to keep it, I would suggest selling it and using the money to buy a stone that you did want. But since you want to keep the stone, but give it a facelift, then recutting might be in order.

You should keep in mind that the risk of recutting isn''t just in losing lots of carat weight, but that the stone could get even more damaged and break, as other threads have pointed out.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 3:01:36 PM
Author: somethingshiny

If there is no way you can wear it as it, I''d have it recut. A diamond is useless in a jewelry box!
Ditto.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Brian removed the diamond from my aunt''s old ring. As he had warned, another piece broke off, it was only being held in place by the setting. He ran a Sarin report, the stone is currently .60ct and he feels he can recut to a nice OEC that I can use in a pendant along with my other aunt''s diamond. One look at the photo and it is amazing that he will be able to do anything at all with it. I think it is a distant cousin of Lopsie Fugs
2.gif

Chipped-059.jpg

TripleG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Shady,
I have a ring too Im worried about taking out the diamonds because of the setting they are currently in. When you say "Brian" Is this the Brian from Brian Gavin Diamonds? I''m looking for someone reputable who I can send my ring to and ask what they can do with it. Also, can you guys give me an idea of how much does it cost to get a diamond re-cut and re-set? Does Brian also do colored stones? I have a Ruby with the diamonds I am looking to get re-set.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Yes, Brian Gavin. He will give you an honest assessment before doing anything. He really tried to talk me out of removing mine, but I was more than willing to accept the risk. Hopefully I will wind up with a small, but usable stone, with some sentiment attached. I don''t really have a price quote yet, you will have to talk to him. His new website is not completed yet, but there is contact info http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ He re-cut my ugly lifeless 2.47 RB into an amazing beauty earlier this year, check out his blog for lots of examples of his work.

TripleG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ohh thats right I remember seeing your post about the differences in that one and its a stunner!
Thanks, I''ll check him out.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think I''d take the chance, but best of luck! I''m sure it''ll turn out beautifully
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless there is an 80%+ chance the diamond will survive, I wouldn''t cut it. There is family history behind it as is and it''d be a shame if the diamond crumbled.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2009 5:32:55 PM
Author: shady71
Brian removed the diamond from my aunt''s old ring. As he had warned, another piece broke off, it was only being held in place by the setting. He ran a Sarin report, the stone is currently .60ct and he feels he can recut to a nice OEC that I can use in a pendant along with my other aunt''s diamond. One look at the photo and it is amazing that he will be able to do anything at all with it. I think it is a distant cousin of Lopsie Fugs
2.gif
lol.. I read that thread...

oh the recut will be splendid
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, it looks like a mouse nibbled on that diamond!

I would have recut as well, I can''t wait to see the end result :)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Since it''s out of the setting you might as well have it recut, can''t wait to see the recut diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results