shape
carat
color
clarity

What to look for in a cabochon emerald?

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
What are characteristics that I should be looking for in a cabochon emerald? What makes one better or worse than another? I often find myself looking on ebay at oval cabochon emerald bezel set rings, I am drawn to them, but I don't know what to specifically look for.

Some seem to have an inner "glow" while others look somewhat lifeless. Since there are no facets I am wondering what causes this difference. Unless it is just down to the photographer's lighting?

P.S. I think it would be really neat to find one in a cushion shape or rectangle shape. Anyone here ever see one that wasn't oval?

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basically the same things you would look for in a faceted stone, no surface fissures that would cause issues with durability and setting. Some people think it’s okay for a stone to be more included in a cabochon, but for emeralds I disagree. You should still look for the best color and clarity and least clarity enhancement that you can afford. There’s also a misconception that emerald cabochons are much less expensive than comparable faceted stones, but they can be very pricey depending on the quality.

Emeralds are also extremely difficult to photograph accurately, so you should only buy from a reputable dealer with a no risk return policy.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I say color is key! Pick one that has a color that makes your heart flutter and ask for a video or two of the cabochon in different light sources, as emeralds -whether they're cabochon or not- are very difficult to photograph accurately as far as color.

Heres a photo of my 7mm round emerald cabochon ring, & also @Rfisher 's dreamy heart shaped emerald cabochon ring. Both are shapes that arent oval!
I couldnt find my dream emerald cab ring so I found the stone first then had a setting made. If nothing tickles your fancy that is ready-made I would also explore the custom route.

20190112_094911.jpg heart (1).jpg

I second TL in that if you want to get a nice little emerald you should purchase from a reputable dealer with a kickbutt return policy.
Good luck!

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
Basically the same things you would look for in a faceted stone, no surface fissures that would cause issues with durability and setting. Some people think it’s okay for a stone to be more included in a cabochon, but for emeralds I disagree. You should still look for the best color and clarity and least clarity enhancement that you can afford. There’s also a misconception that emerald cabochons are much less expensive than comparable faceted stones, but they can be very pricey depending on the quality.

Emeralds are also extremely difficult to photograph accurately, so you should only buy from a reputable dealer with a no risk return policy.

Thank you for letting me know I can’t go by pictures alone. Any ideas or examples of reputable dealers? My only experience has been with Whiteflash buying a diamond.

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
I say color is key! Pick one that has a color that makes your heart flutter and ask for a video or two of the cabochon in different light sources, as emeralds -whether they're cabochon or not- are very difficult to photograph accurately as far as color.

Heres a photo of my 7mm round emerald cabochon ring, & also @Rfisher 's dreamy heart shaped emerald cabochon ring. Both are shapes that arent oval!
I couldnt find my dream emerald cab ring so I found the stone first then had a setting made. If nothing tickles your fancy that is ready-made I would also explore the custom route.

20190112_094911.jpg heart (1).jpg

I second TL in that if you want to get a nice little emerald you should purchase from a reputable dealer with a kickbutt return policy.
Good luck!

These are both so beautiful. I want one even more now! Your bezel set one has that “glow” that I am looking for.

Any suggestions of a reputable dealer? I have no gemstone purchasing experience.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
These are both so beautiful. I want one even more now! Your bezel set one has that “glow” that I am looking for.

Any suggestions of a reputable dealer? I have no gemstone purchasing experience.

Aww thank you! Yes Emeralds have that "glow" that is indescribable and hard to find in other green gemstones.
Others say tsavorite garnets are similar in color but i just dont see it because that glow isnt there!

Also as far as finding a dealer, I would check out the thread in the Colored Gemstones section titled "List Of Vendors for Reference".
Its quite a long list and its always being updated to make sure that the dealers we put up are providing the highest quality of customer service and product.
I know it might seem a little daunting to go through but in my opinion it makes it fun as youre looking for that one special emerald that youre in love with!
Also each vendor usually has a search bar so you can see if they have any listed pretty quickly.
Oh also another tip, if you find a dealer whom you really just love and feel would be a great match do feel free to email them and explain what youre looking for and see if they have it. Most of the time the seller might have exactly or close to what youre looking for but just hasnt listed it or can find it for you!

Good luck and remember if you have doubts about a stone you can always come here and ask opinions, same about a dealer if its a big purchase and youd like to hear some reviews of them. (:

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
Aww thank you! Yes Emeralds have that "glow" that is indescribable and hard to find in other green gemstones.
Others say tsavorite garnets are similar in color but i just dont see it because that glow isnt there!

Also as far as finding a dealer, I would check out the thread in the Colored Gemstones section titled "List Of Vendors for Reference".
Its quite a long list and its always being updated to make sure that the dealers we put up are providing the highest quality of customer service and product.
I know it might seem a little daunting to go through but in my opinion it makes it fun as youre looking for that one special emerald that youre in love with!
Also each vendor usually has a search bar so you can see if they have any listed pretty quickly.
Oh also another tip, if you find a dealer whom you really just love and feel would be a great match do feel free to email them and explain what youre looking for and see if they have it. Most of the time the seller might have exactly or close to what youre looking for but just hasnt listed it or can find it for you!

Good luck and remember if you have doubts about a stone you can always come here and ask opinions, same about a dealer if its a big purchase and youd like to hear some reviews of them. (:

Thank you :) , I will go look for that list! (I've scared myself off ebay because the vast majority have no return policy and I am a newbie at this - a bad combo.)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I recommend Inken from Enhoerning Jewelry. She specializes in unheated sapphires and rubies and minor treatment emeralds. You can reach her via her Etsy shop or her LoupeTroop listings. Besides that, I don't know another vendor I'd be ready to recommend for a fine emerald. There are a few Instagram sellers, but they've been spotty on communication, as was Embassy Emeralds. Some other vendors offer good gems but at prices I wouldn't pay.

Litnon is another vendor you could try. They don't have the best pictures, but will give hassle-free refunds minus shipping cost.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're not in a hurry, I'd reach out to Yvonne at Yvonne Raley Designs on Etsy. She is going to Columbia this summer to visit the emerald mines Yvonne also specializes in unheated and untreated gems. Since she will be buying from the source, the prices are likely to be better than average. You can return gems for a full refund within a two week period.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results