shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with tiny a red beryl!

idola

Shiny_Rock
So while I'm waiting for my pad ring to come back from setting, I happened to fall in love again... it was a chance meeting, and even though I had no intention of buying another gem until my last one came home, it mysteriously showed up on my doorstep with the $$$ subtracted from my bank account. 8)

9D8C10F6-669A-402A-930F-CC5F433CD9A3.jpeg

(Btw since it's an uncommon gem, I want to clarify - I did have an independant (and PS endorsed) appraiser confirm that it's a red beryl).

It's definitely not a 'perfect' gem, especially by PS standards, but oh my god I LOVE it! I've always had such a soft spot for jardins and this one's is so beautiful.

328985B9-277A-4467-A28B-F0285E58BA99.jpeg

It's a delicate 0.34cts, being a red beryl, and I'm a bit at a loss of what to do with it now that it's in my hands!

I actually wear pendants even more than I wear rings, so I've been thinking of maybe putting it in a pendant, but I'm worried that it might be too small. It's 4.2x4.7 iirc.

852227FF-B530-4501-9DF3-4913DB1ACFF7.jpeg

I have pretty small hands (3.75 on both ring fingers) so I think it's fairly proportional for a ring - maybe a halo?

AE072848-CF30-4DE7-A738-46DE7970B2A0.jpeg

I LOVE chunky halos like this but I'm afraid that they might need so many prongs that my tiny beryl disappears under them!

What to do!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice red beryl is a rare find and yours is lovely. I would protect it by placing it in a pendant, and wear it in a necklace long enough that I could view the lovely stone.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Do you do stacking rings? Maybe that in a bezel? :)

idola

Shiny_Rock
A nice red beryl is a rare find and yours is lovely. I would protect it by placing it in a pendant, and wear it in a necklace long enough that I could view the lovely stone.

Thank you! I do like the idea of a pendant, but designing one is tough! I think if I go the pendant route I'd wear it with a short chain so I can safely bring it to work, but the design aspect is still a mystery to me. Classic? Modern? Who knows! I think I want yellow gold though... I like gold and red combinations. That's about my only lead at this point lol

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
So while I'm waiting for my pad ring to come back from setting, I happened to fall in love again... it was a chance meeting, and even though I had no intention of buying another gem until my last one came home, it mysteriously showed up on my doorstep with the $$$ subtracted from my bank account. 8)

9D8C10F6-669A-402A-930F-CC5F433CD9A3.jpeg

(Btw since it's an uncommon gem, I want to clarify - I did have an independant (and PS endorsed) appraiser confirm that it's a red beryl).

It's definitely not a 'perfect' gem, especially by PS standards, but oh my god I LOVE it! I've always had such a soft spot for jardins and this one's is so beautiful.

328985B9-277A-4467-A28B-F0285E58BA99.jpeg

It's a delicate 0.34cts, being a red beryl, and I'm a bit at a loss of what to do with it now that it's in my hands!

I actually wear pendants even more than I wear rings, so I've been thinking of maybe putting it in a pendant, but I'm worried that it might be too small. It's 4.2x4.7 iirc.

852227FF-B530-4501-9DF3-4913DB1ACFF7.jpeg

I have pretty small hands (3.75 on both ring fingers) so I think it's fairly proportional for a ring - maybe a halo?

AE072848-CF30-4DE7-A738-46DE7970B2A0.jpeg

I LOVE chunky halos like this but I'm afraid that they might need so many prongs that my tiny beryl disappears under them!

What to do!!

If you want a halo could you bezel or airline the halo from the stone? Give it a.little space of its own?

I love small but mighty, half bezel like that one sholdt design I can never recall the number on.

idola

Shiny_Rock
If you want a halo could you bezel or airline the halo from the stone? Give it a.little space of its own?

I love small but mighty, half bezel like that one sholdt design I can never recall the number on.

I didn't know what airlining was until now honestly, it looks like it might be able to get me the exact feeling I'm looking for :0

Now I just need to decide if I want a ring or pendant!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is gorgeous! :kiss2:

I have two small gems that I would like to set, one is an Emerald about 0.5ct, and another is a Baringo Ruby which is a very intense pink Sapphire.

I am planning to set them in rings, in some sort of Gypsy settings in a wider band like this:

hancocks-gypsy-set-ring6.jpg

Or in a wide band like my small 0.47ct EC in a 5mm band:

Looking to see your finished piece.

DK :))

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
My two cents =)2

I think a pendant would not do it justice, as it would not be visible to you when you wear it (unless you look at it in the mirror), and be too small for it to be noticeable to others. It's also a connoisseur's stone, so I feel it should be appreciated by one, in this case, you.

The stone size is not too small for a ring I think, particularly with small hands. When you say you're worried about it dissappearing under prongs, not sure if you mean the prongs surrounding the beryl, or the prongs to set the diamond, but I have rings in which the prongs settting the main stones are almost invisible from the face up, so maybe you can have something like that?

IMG_2746.JPG
These are ruby and spinel (the colours are not very true to real life in the picture but...)

I don't know if beryl being a much more fragile stone means that you have to go for a more sturdy set of prongs to protect them though, but I also have a very tiny emerald with prongs that are much bigger and bigger also relative to the stone but I don't think it necessarily detracts from the beauty of the stone and despite its size, it really 'pops' in the setting. I think maybe the style might not be to your liking as it's a more like a signet ring.

IMG_2730.JPG

I also saw some red beryl rings on an Asian website where the stone is much smaller than yours but isn't overwhelmed by the diamond surround and gives good finger coverage.

0.153 ct

0.29ct:

0.182ct:

idola

Shiny_Rock
My two cents =)2

I think a pendant would not do it justice, as it would not be visible to you when you wear it (unless you look at it in the mirror), and be too small for it to be noticeable to others. It's also a connoisseur's stone, so I feel it should be appreciated by one, in this case, you.

The stone size is not too small for a ring I think, particularly with small hands. When you say you're worried about it dissappearing under prongs, not sure if you mean the prongs surrounding the beryl, or the prongs to set the diamond, but I have rings in which the prongs settting the main stones are almost invisible from the face up, so maybe you can have something like that?

IMG_2746.JPG
These are ruby and spinel (the colours are not very true to real life in the picture but...)

I don't know if beryl being a much more fragile stone means that you have to go for a more sturdy set of prongs to protect them though, but I also have a very tiny emerald with prongs that are much bigger and bigger also relative to the stone but I don't think it necessarily detracts from the beauty of the stone and despite its size, it really 'pops' in the setting. I think maybe the style might not be to your liking as it's a more like a signet ring.

IMG_2730.JPG

I also saw some red beryl rings on an Asian website where the stone is much smaller than yours but isn't overwhelmed by the diamond surround and gives good finger coverage.

0.153 ct

0.29ct:

0.182ct:

Those are gorgeous! I buy a lot of stuff from Japan and yahoo auctions is a pain to buy from so I never considered looking on it, but you're right, it's a treasure trove of inspiration :o

I was originally thinking a setting like this in YG, but now I'm thinking it'd be better suited to an emerald that I can get in a bigger size than this little red beryl. 8)

So that made me think that maybe what I want is something delicate since it's so small? I got to looking based on that thought.

DE9B88B7-48EF-4FB9-AED0-A3EA3E993944.jpeg
87673F2F-0367-4A6D-B6F4-EA7A998953CB.jpeg

Maybe something similar to these styles? That way the small size adds to the image instead of subtracts from it. I know that they'd be really fragile, but the rock's going to be so fragile anyway that I feel like the extra motivation to be careful is almost a boon.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
@idola, yes, buying on Yahoo or any JP equivalent of Ebay is virtually impossible it seems if you're based overseas - very frustrating! But as you say, it does have a lot of ring designs some quite unique to look at for ideas.

Though you should go with what makes you happy, the idea of putting a red beryl in a very declicate thin setting makes me very nervous! But that's just me, I'm the kind of person who accidentally sits on their glasses and I have hands like baseball mitts...

Are you thinking of setting the beryl almost like a solitaire, like the pic above?

idola

Shiny_Rock
@idola, yes, buying on Yahoo or any JP equivalent of Ebay is virtually impossible it seems if you're based overseas - very frustrating! But as you say, it does have a lot of ring designs some quite unique to look at for ideas.

Though you should go with what makes you happy, the idea of putting a red beryl in a very declicate thin setting makes me very nervous! But that's just me, I'm the kind of person who accidentally sits on their glasses and I have hands like baseball mitts...

Are you thinking of setting the beryl almost like a solitaire, like the pic above?
I normally use blackship for shipping from Japan (another hobby of mine has me doing this routinely) but normal proxies won't let me use yahoo auctions and require with a Japanese credit card to bid on these and boy does that shoot the price up! Very sad as there are lots of cool things on yahoo auctions that I'd love to have.

That aside.

Yes I'm definately thinking more of a solitare, likely with some little diamonds like both the pictures. I just love that butterfly-like first one. I wonder if it'd be more durable if it was thicker?

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Ah I haven't tried Blackship - I've found with other proxy services that they don't ship jewellery because EMS doesn't accept them so I'll have a look into it. Yes, Japan doesn't seem to understand e-commerce very well do they, too many businesses are paranoid about the greatly exaggerated dangers of selling to overseas buyers I think.

I wouldn't think the thickness of the band would make much difference though depends how much thicker I guess, but it seems a fragile setting for a fragile stone mainly because the pictures above show nothing around the stone at all and leaves it open to taking any knocks and scratches directly.

idola

Shiny_Rock
So I brought it to a jeweler the other day for some opinions on this and went through some Stuller things with him, and I think this one is the closest to what I'm thinking.

BC481937-2D16-4441-B504-FC1570338F51.jpeg

I definitely want it in YG, but still thinking the design through. Definately nothing too bulky for this one. Now that I've seen it with something loopy and delicate, I just think it suits the small stone too much lol. Will have to work on how to keep it safe like this still.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I recently had a very small stone double bezeled. I will get it any day now. So that’s a possibility.

idola

Shiny_Rock
Well I figured out what to do with it!

CF1183F5-892E-40D4-899F-FCA749656A22.jpeg
2C263A3C-CDF8-4C08-B207-3CB014122C75.jpeg
I saw this setting at a gem fair and just knew that it was the one. Yes, it's meant for an oval, but I'm pretty into the look of the corners against the round honestly. I think it adds character.

So that's that. Just wanted to wrap this up in case anyone was curious. :bigsmile:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I figured out what to do with it!

CF1183F5-892E-40D4-899F-FCA749656A22.jpeg
2C263A3C-CDF8-4C08-B207-3CB014122C75.jpeg
I saw this setting at a gem fair and just knew that it was the one. Yes, it's meant for an oval, but I'm pretty into the look of the corners against the round honestly. I think it adds character.

So that's that. Just wanted to wrap this up in case anyone was curious. :bigsmile:

Its sooo pretty :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2:
thanks for showing us what you came up with

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results