shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with large 8.7mm AV H&A Moissanite?

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I purchased an 8.7 H&A's moissanite from Jonathan about 6 months ago and after wearing it for a couple of months, I decided to buy a diamond that size to replace the moissanite in my engagement ring setting. The moissanite is gorgeous, the only reason I decided to do that is because for my engagement ring I just didn't find it "mind clean". I felt awkward when someone would compliment my "diamond" and felt like I needed to explain and found myself not really wanting to tell people so I did what I thought was best for me. I still love moissanite jewelry and now have this gorgeous stone sitting in a drawer. I'm trying to sell it but I haven't had much luck and I honestly don't want to lower the price much since it's almost new and already listed for hundreds less than I paid. SO if I can't sell it, I'm trying to decide what I should do with it.

Options:
1. 18k Yellow Gold Solitaire to switch out with my E-ring sometimes since I do crave a soli occasionally. Problem is I don't know that I would wear it very much since it would be weird in my friend circle to wear different engagement style rings.
2. Create a three stone RHR. Problems I see- this would be a huge ring that would again draw attention and I don't want to look like I'm "trying to look rich?"… I know I should stop worrying about what other people think!
3. Keep it for a future project down the line or if you have other suggestions I'm all ears!
4. Lower the price and sell it to put toward the earring project I want to do!

Thanks for reading and helping me make this decision. I'm so indecisive!

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Wear it as a pendant?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe use it as an ER for traveling?

Barring that if you’re not going to wear and enjoy it sell it. That way you can use that money towards something you will love.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Cut your losses and sell it. Whatever you do sounds like it will cost more money to make something you're not entirely comfortable with. Those funds could go towards your new earrings.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Maybe use it as an ER for traveling?

Barring that if you’re not going to wear and enjoy it sell it. That way you can use that money towards something you will love.

I’m leaning toward the latter... I don’t want to spend more money on something I won’t wear often. I never travel without my actual engagement ring.

Cut your losses and sell it. Whatever you do sounds like it will cost more money to make something you're not entirely comfortable with. Those funds could go towards your new earrings.

I think you’re right. I am just having a hard time selling something I already spent w lot of money on. If it was a little smaller, I could think of a lot of things I could do with it! It’s a bummer.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand.
when I got engaged 20 odd years ago I wanted a pink diamond. When I realised that the best part of $50,000 didn’t even buy a .50 carat Argyle Pink I changed my mind. A part of that decision was that I didn’t want to have spent such a huge amount to have people saying “oh, that’s a ”sweet” aka small pink sapphire you have there”. Shame, such a pink diamond would be $100,000 plus today.
So I chose a magnificent 4 carat odd emerald cut diamond. I adore it.
I too love Moissanite and Strontium Titanite (both man made with higher dispersion than diamond) and wear them for their amazing rainbow sparkles.
A while ago I bought a 8mm Moissy from Pricescope, a RB. Im wearing it as an alternate engagement ring.
DD has been playing soccer with the same team over 10 years. Obviously at the matches there are lots of Mums hanging about. A mother I’ve chatted with frequently over those 10 years said “Oh, thats a lovely new ring, did you decide to get a diamond after all?
Huh?
This is why you can’t worry about what other people think.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t read the previous responses but wanted to weigh in. The stone is beautiful, I’ve pondered it myself. Your new diamond and ring is gorgeous!!!

How I approach these decisions...If I do not think I will wear it enough to justify over ~$1k sitting in a jewelry box, then I sell. Even if I take a larger loss. You lose far more setting it especially if you won’t wear it. I say lower the price (or say Best offer), sell it and use the funds for something you would get more use of.

I’m a big fan of the cost per wear theory and If you don’t wear it, that’s an expensive jewelry box ornament. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I understand.
when I got engaged 20 odd years ago I wanted a pink diamond. When I realised that the best part of $50,000 didn’t even buy a .50 carat Argyle Pink I changed my mind. A part of that decision was that I didn’t want to have spent such a huge amount to have people saying “oh, that’s a ”sweet” aka small pink sapphire you have there”. Shame, such a pink diamond would be $100,000 plus today.
I too love Moissanite and Strontium Titanite (both man made with higher dispersion than diamond) and wear them for their amazing rainbow sparkles.
A while ago I bought a 8mm Moissy from Pricescope, a RB. Im wearing it as an alternate engagement ring.
DD has been playing soccer with the same team over 10 years. Obviously at the matches there are lots of Mums hanging about. A mother I’ve chatted with frequently over those 10 years said “Oh, thats a lovely new ring, did you decide to get a diamond after all?
Huh?

Oh my goodness. This is a great story. Thank you! I’m sure a lot of people think mine might be a Cz since most people don’t have over 2ct diamonds. Ahh pink diamonds are gorgeous!!

I haven’t read the previous responses but wanted to weigh in. The stone is beautiful, I’ve pondered it myself. Your new diamond and ring is gorgeous!!!

How I approach these decisions...If I do not think I will wear it enough to justify over ~$1k sitting in a jewelry box, then I sell. Even if I take a larger loss. You lose far more setting it especially if you won’t wear it. I say lower the price (or say Best offer), sell it and use the funds for something you would get more use of.

I’m a big fan of the cost per wear theory and If you don’t wear it, that’s an expensive jewelry box ornament. Hope that helps. Good luck!

I know, I just don’t know if I’d get enough wear to justify the cost! Also, thank you! I do love them both!

=)2
Well in that case how about a RHR !

Lol. This is my problem! Earlier I had decided to definitely sell and then a couple of hours ago I thought I would for sure do a three stone. Indecisiveness is a TERRIBLE trait!

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I understand.
Huh?

Actually I’d love to know how you responded to that! Lol

I’ve a bit of a left field suggestion - maybe turn it into a simple cuff bracelet? I would probably keep it and turn it into an alternate ring for travel or wear as an RHR but you’ve indicated you don’t really want it as another ring, so maybe a bracelet? Or a 3 stone coloured ring (so have the side stones be coloured stones)?

I agree though that there’s no point in keeping it in your jewelry box unnecessarily. Get a quote on setting it in a very simple setting - whatever appeals to you the most - and then decide between whether you’d rather spend a bit extra and then wear it, or would you rather stomach the loss (whatever it is) and sell the stone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I’d love to know how you responded to that! Lol

It was actually one of the few times I couldn’t really say anything other than “thank you“. I figured saying something like “the other ring has a diamond and this smaller one is a man made look a like” would just be awkward.
I think most people assume it’s NOT a diamond, the classic being the shop assistant who asked me where I bought it (eBay, K Mart, China?) because she’d like to buy one too. I explained that it was made by my Jeweller using an Art Deco diamond.
“No way” she says “Diamonds don’t come that big or in a rectangle shape”.
I respond with the information that my diamond is called an emerald cut.
She rolled her eyes and said “Everyone knows that emeralds are green”.
Next.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
It was actually one of the few times I couldn’t really say anything other than “thank you“. I figured saying something like “the other ring has a diamond and this smaller one is a man made look a like” would just be awkward.
I think most people assume it’s NOT a diamond, the classic being the shop assistant who asked me where I bought it (eBay, K Mart, China?) because she’d like to buy one too. I explained that it was made by my Jeweller using an Art Deco diamond.
Next.

Sorry @Bron357 but that one had me LOL !

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Next.

I’m sorry @Bron357 but that exchange was hysterical!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results