shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do in Rome

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I'm visiting Rome two weeks from now with my mummy dearest and I'd like to know what are the must se -places there? I've never been there before and we decided to do this trip extempore (we booked the trip yesterday :lol: ) so all experiences are super welcome. :mrgreen:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been to Rome, but I would suggest "EAT EAT EAT!"

I would recommend googling "Rome Tour" to get some sample itineraries, and a lot of people blog about their travels now, post pics, provide reviews, so that may help you focus your trip.

I'm so jealous right now over your upcoming trip! :Up_to_something:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My favorite museum in Rome was the Borghese museum. My husband planned the trip and bought the tickets online--they were mostly sold out, so I'm glad he bought them in advance. It's closed on Mondays.

We mostly did all of the touristy things, but we were only there 3 days, I think. My favorite was just walking around all of the fountains at night while eating gelato. Enjoy!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhhh beautiful Roma! I was just there this May =) Second visit for me.

Must sees -

Do a Rome Walking Tour - Fodors has some great ones. We did this one of the Roman Forum-

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/rome/feature_30008.html

Visit the Via Veneto + Trevi Fountain + Spanish Steps (eat gelato)

Visit the area called Trastevere (it is a seriously lovely neighborhood and is across the river)

Go to the Borghese Gardens and visit the Villa as well. Great way to people-watch.

Everyone goes to the Vatican City as well but I found it extremely repetitive and crowded.

I really wanted to go to Ostia Antica but couldn't squeeze it in :blackeye: http://www.ostia-antica.org/

To see something off the beaten path and really different (and if you're a cat lover), visit the Roman Cat Sanctuary. It's at the base of archaeological ruins and you have to descend the stairs to visit. It's very cool seeing cats hanging out on old marble ruins.

http://www.romancats.com/index_eng.php

This is REALLY creepy and I am a wuss so I would never go but DH wanted to. Depending on whether you think it's interesting or scary, you can visit this place:

http://itthing.com/the-capuchin-crypt-human-bones-as-far-as-the-eye-can-see

Food in Rome can get really pricey and there are a lot of tourist trap places but we found a highly-recommended inexpensive place called Pincere Roma where you get pizzas. They were DELISH! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d3570028-Reviews-Pinsere_Roma-Rome_Lazio.html It's a short walk from Termini station so if you are catching a train, you can plan to grab a quick bite there.

I would HIGHLY recommend the hotel we stayed in. You will not be able to find as amazing a value as this anywhere. Fantastic location! Unfortunately I cannot remember the name so I will ask DH and type it this evening.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
D'oh. I forgot to mention the Pantheon and the Colosseum. The latter is AMAZING and humongous but made me very sad.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Pintobean: Great minds think alike! And I think that I might not be able to fit into my clothes when we get back! :lol:

NewEnglandLady: That's a great tip! I think mum would enjoy that very much. :)

rubyshoes: Thanks for your tips! I think the Borghese area and Trastevere are going to our list of places to see. That crypt is just super creepy but I might still go. :shock:

We'll stay there for four days and we have a hotel booked near Castel Sant'Angelo. I've done some googling but unfortunately there is only two weeks to the trip and soooo much to do before that (like writing a massive amount of pages to my Master's Thesis :nono:). So very little time for planning... Thank goodness I have PS to find out about the amazing places which don't get as much attention as Vatican, Pantheon and Colosseum etc. :wavey:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Roman forum ruins so you can stand where The Senate was and do your best Shakespeare impression: "Friends. Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears..."

The Roman Bath is cool, and the remains of the chariot track is still visible. We also walked on the old Roman road (Via Appia), which was one of the most important Roman roads and is still has its original paving.

We went to the capuchin monastery and loved it (macabre, yes). And eat lots of gelato.

I have a tip for you if you want to see the Sistine chapel. The chapel is at the end of the Vatican musuem (you have to go through the whole museum to get there). Go before it opens and wait. When it opens, go straight to the Sistine Chapel to see the ceiling in its full glory without the crowds, the noise and jostling. It makes a difference, trust me.

Then walk back to the start of the museum to see the other sights at your own pace.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could spend an entire day looking at the riches in the Vatican! (I am not catholic). There is a fabulous gelato place on the outside of the Vatican wall to the left of the museum entrance.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
If you go to the Vatican, reserve a tour or something online. That way you can bypass the line to get in. It was so crowded that I wonder if anyone in line got in.
Bring a wrap or something. No tube tops, no spaghetti straps.

If you go to the Colosseum, start at the Roman Forum. No line for the tickets booth there, and the tickets lets you in the Colosseum as well.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1373307091|3479166 said:
I've never been to Rome, but I would suggest "EAT EAT EAT!"
:D That was the response I was about to type! I see I've been beaten to it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colloseum and the forum, the Vatican Museum (we found long lines in the morning, NO lines in the afternoon), the pantheon and Trevi Fountain and the Galleria Borghese (where you will see the most spectacular sculpture ever)... We also enjoyed the Castel Saint Angelo (Hadrian's mausoleum.) It takes a bit of time because you walk a circular road inside to the top - there's no elevator! - but there's a nice coffee shop and wonderful view at the top, and you get a great sense of the ancient history as you walk up. It's also a nice, cool place to be on a hot day. We found some fun riverside strolling at night - there are some shops and restaurants down by the riverside that apparently only open up at night. Great people-watching.

There's a terrific gelato place - "the bridge?" right across from the entrance to the Vatican Museum.

If you're a reader, check out Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" before you go. You'll recognize a lot of scenes from the book as you check out the sights in Rome, and see them in a whole different light!

There are lots of tchotchke stores near the Vatican. I loaded up on wonderful little mini calendars in a wide variety of subjects - at 1 or 2 euro each - for friends and co-workers back home. For fine shopping, try the shops near the Spanish steps.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1373349866|3479518 said:
The colloseum and the forum, the Vatican Museum (we found long lines in the morning, NO lines in the afternoon), the pantheon and Trevi Fountain and the Galleria Borghese (where you will see the most spectacular sculpture ever)... We also enjoyed the Castel Saint Angelo (Hadrian's mausoleum.) It takes a bit of time because you walk a circular road inside to the top - there's no elevator! - but there's a nice coffee shop and wonderful view at the top, and you get a great sense of the ancient history as you walk up. It's also a nice, cool place to be on a hot day. We found some fun riverside strolling at night - there are some shops and restaurants down by the riverside that apparently only open up at night. Great people-watching.

There's a terrific gelato place - "the bridge?" right across from the entrance to the Vatican Museum.

If you're a reader, check out Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" before you go. You'll recognize a lot of scenes from the book as you check out the sights in Rome, and see them in a whole different light!

There are lots of tchotchke stores near the Vatican. I loaded up on wonderful little mini calendars in a wide variety of subjects - at 1 or 2 euro each - for friends and co-workers back home. For fine shopping, try the shops near the Spanish steps.

Definitely agree! It's always cool to have a reference point and food for thought in a new place.

I must be in the minority of Vatican lovers. I thought it was incredible (and I'm so far from being Catholic, it's laughable!). The walk to the top of the cupola was...interesting, and the view was spectacular. I loved everything about the Vatican - even the pizza in their silly tourist cafeteria area, lol.

Out of my travels, Rome is the only place I've personally witnessed not just one, but two separate pickpockets in action (don't give money to the Oliver Twist-esque kids in the subway - they've got friends looking to see where your return your wallet afterwards). Keep your money in a secure spot and enjoy the gelato! :))

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have been to Rome twice (most recent was last summer). First I would get hte Roma Pass which can be picked up at any local newspaper stand. It allows you to get into 2 free tourist places that take it (meaning any major tourist attraction) and BYPASS THE WAITING LINE!!!! Plus you get 15% off any attraction after that. The line to get into the Colosseum was over 3 hours in June so with our Roma pass we walked right in.

There is a Rome Underground Tour that was walking though the ancient parts of Rome that was 3-4 hours and was just amazing. They kept the tour under 10 people and the guide was wonderful. We went to lesser known tourist churches and then actually went under them to the pre-Christian churches they were built on. It was so interesting if you love history. Do you know that from this tour I learned that "Son of a B!tch" is actually the first recorded term of the Latin language ever found and it happens to be located in a church??!?!?!?! Our tour guide was Gabriel and he was wonderful! This was also wonderful because it was hot out so to be underground really kept us cool and it was a great change up. We did this on a Saturday when a lot of weddings were happened. So we also pass a lot of brides who we wished well. I can't begin to say how much I loved this!

If you are in the market for any high end jewelery I highly recommend The Spanish Steps. They have Cartier, HW, Tiffany etc. Cartier was fantastic. We walked in and bought my LOVE bracelet there. The prices were cheaper then the US, plus you get 15% back in VAT making it much cheaper then the USA. Though if it is over 10k you will need to declare it when coming through customs and pay a fee on it. However if you are looking at their trinity rings which are around 1k I highly recommend buying there. If you say it is your birthday or anniversary they take you into the backroom and pop a bottle of champagne for you. It was a lovely experience after a full day of touring.

Stay away from the tourist-y places to eat that are big and advertise American style dinners. Instead try to go to the Mom and Pop places that are all over Rome. They were absolutely amazing and a true taste of Itailian. I found the tourist places to be mass produced and just Olive Garden in nature.

From Rome you can also take a day trip to Pompii or Capri or both! If the weather isn't very good they cancel Capri and whether you want to or not you are then taken to Pompeii. I did that trip about 8 years ago. When they say all day they mean it- about 14 hours +. It is very interesting and I enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again.

The Vatiican Museum and Sistine Chapel. We went the last Sunday or Saturday of the month where it is free to enter to the public. It took 3 hours of litterally be cow- herded thorough several other rooms/ outside/ inside/ etc etc till we saw the Sistine Chapel. It was very croweded and the guards keep yelling at people to be quite and not take any photos. So after a 3 hr + wait we were out of there within minutes. There are chairs that line the walls so if you can actually find a place sit and enjoy the ceiling. Otherwise you are in the middle of the room looking up getting jhit from all directions. I pretty much hated it and I'm sorry it ruined my enjoyment of the Chapel. However I did enjoy some of the other gallerys on the way to the Chapel. They were stunning. But beware if you get out of line then they won't let you back in! At the very end before you leave the Museum is the Spiral Staircase which was breath-taking and to me worth a much longer wait to see. They have a name, but I can't for the life of me remember.

St Peter's Basilica- Is a Must SEE and there is no more explantation then that. If you go on a sunday the place will be packed. I recommend going on weekday in the moring or early afternoon.

If you or your mother saw Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn I would also recommend going to "Mouth of Truth" at the Santa Maria. The church for a small donation lets you go and put your hand in and take pictures. The line is usually very short (less then 10 minutes) and the chuch is very pretty and has a small souvier shop with everything Roman Holiday!

Ok sorry for the novel but I absolutely love Italy. If you do have the chance take the train and see Venice for the day. I would skip the leaning tower of Pisa. But Venice was another world.

Goodluck!

Edit to attach some of my pictures from Rome.

_7851.jpg

102_0036.jpg

p5265032.jpg

p5275081.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
choro72|1373314568|3479263 said:
If you go to the Vatican, reserve a tour or something online. That way you can bypass the line to get in. It was so crowded that I wonder if anyone in line got in.
Bring a wrap or something. No tube tops, no spaghetti straps.

If you go to the Colosseum, start at the Roman Forum. No line for the tickets booth there, and the tickets lets you in the Colosseum as well.

No shorts on women, knees covered. No shoulders. In other words, be conservative!
At the coliseum you will see deaf guys dressed as gladiators. They will gladly pose for photos and then shake you down for money. They are very aggressive.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The colosseum is interesting. I also enjoyed the Vatican and St. Peters basilica. It's not in Rome, but if you get a chance to see Pompeii it is fascinating. Also, don't forget the Trevi fountain! I did a walking tour and saw all of those in a day (except Pompeii) but I could have spent several days at the vatican.

(and the food and WINE are both awesome!!!)

Oh yeah, and shoe shopping!!!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Do what everyone else does!

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for the tips and advice! Especially for SB621 for pointing your the possibility for buying some jewelry... :naughty: I'm finishing both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees this fall/winter and I think I deserve something shiny for all my hard work. Souvenir from Italy might work nicely... :Up_to_something:

We'll arrive Rome at 10am and I think we might hit Trastevere and/or the Borghese area on the first day. One day for Ancient Rome (Colosseum, Via Appia etc.) touring and another to see Vatican... and of course enough time to stop for coffee and/or shopping so no tight schedules. Quality time with mum! It's going to be great since we don't see each other so often anymore (six hours by car...). 8) I think Roma Pass is the first thing to get when we get there!

I promise to eat lots and lots of gelato! :wavey:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
kalomeli|1373456274|3480155 said:
Thank you all so much for the tips and advice! Especially for SB621 for pointing your the possibility for buying some jewelry... :naughty: I'm finishing both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees this fall/winter and I think I deserve something shiny for all my hard work. Souvenir from Italy might work nicely... :Up_to_something:

We'll arrive Rome at 10am and I think we might hit Trastevere and/or the Borghese area on the first day. One day for Ancient Rome (Colosseum, Via Appia etc.) touring and another to see Vatican... and of course enough time to stop for coffee and/or shopping so no tight schedules. Quality time with mum! It's going to be great since we don't see each other so often anymore (six hours by car...). 8) I think Roma Pass is the first thing to get when we get there!

I promise to eat lots and lots of gelato! :wavey:

To get he Pass just stop at any newstand. We needed 4 when we went and we probably have to go to 2 dozen newstand till we piece mealed it together. But that is what happens when you travel at the height of the tourist season I guess. If you get desperate their is a Roma Pass Stand/ Bulding I think it was between the capital and the colosseum. Just look on their website before you go.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the suggestions about the tourist places is great. But also consider that part of the magic of travel is discovery. You can just walk around Rome and explore the squares and small lanes and alleys and discover wonderful things that a typical tourist will never see. Watch to see where the locals eat -- that's where the best food is. If you see menus in English only, eat somewhere else.

Buy Rick Steves' travel guide for Rome. It contains tips for avoiding lines at the Vatican as well as tips for making your entire visit less stressful.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, SB! With some quick googling I found out that you can buy them online and collect them somewhere in Rome including the Leonardo da Vinci Airport! Oh how did people plan their trips before Internet! :D

Matata, that's the reason why we're not doing tight schedules. :) Just a main programme for the day scheduled but also plenty of time for straying. :D Thanks for the restaurant and travel guide tips too!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Consider ending your first day in Travestere at the Fontana dell'Acqua Paola. It's up on a hillside that gives you a wonderful view. When we were there, there was an outdoor bar/cafe set up next to the fountain and a stage where they showed some sort of play or musical every night. The little cafe is seasonal and served only drinks, appetizers and pizza, not a full meal, but the food and drinks were good - and the clientele was mostly local. We didn't stay for the show, but wandered back down the hill and then down to explore night life on the riverside. (The latter was mostly restaurants and shop, not night clubs per se.)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I hope this isn't overkill but a quick note on eating since I'm not sure how Europeanized you are but know that most restarants won't open till after 7pm for dinner as they eat much later in the day over there. Breakfast is usually just a cup of coffee and pastry. Then a huge lunch. Mid-day snack is a gelato, another pastry etc then dinner very late. So take that into consideration when walking around and planning your evenings. I found that I loved walked the river area the most between mid day snack and dinner time. That was when people were out and you could enjoy the outdoor markets and musesums etc.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be in Rome in October (been there before, though), and what I'm most looking forward to on this trip is one of these food tours.

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/

They get amazing reviews on TripAdvisor, and I'm positively salivating in anticipation! :wavey:

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
VRBeauty: Thanks for the tip... that sounds just lovely. :)

SB621: I'm probably pretty Europeanized since I'm from Northern Europe (Finland). ;-) But that's actually a good tip since most Finns, including my mum, follow an American style meal routine. Yet, my inner clock seems to be permanently in Mediterranean time since I have trouble eating anything in the morning and hardly ever eat dinner before 7 or 8 pm. :lol:

JaneSmith: Thanks for the links! I stopped by a bookshop today and bought a travel guide which also pointed out some of those common scams. :nono: Why can't one be as carefree when travelling as you do at home?

star sparkle: That sounds soooo good! :lickout: :lickout: I hope you too will have a great trip! :wavey:

allys

Rough_Rock
Hey,
I'm looking for tour options in Rome. There are so many providers! We arrive in October and spend there 4 days. Want to see the Vatican, St. Peter's Basilica as well as Colosseum, Palatine Hill. I've heard of Walks of Italy. And my friend also told me about this local guide in Rome. Seems to be a professional company. I saw its reviews on TripAdvisor.
Any other recommendations?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only been to Rome once for 3 nights so repeating a lot of what is said here:

- Stick with small group walking tours. I don't recall who we used but my friend researched it on the internet and seeing how large some of the groups were, was relieved we were in groups of 8-12.

- We made a point of doing tours in the morning giving us the afternoons and evenings to explore on our own. I thought it was the perfect balance. I recommend tours for the Vatican (to avoid the lines) and Ancient Rome - the stories and details that would've otherwise been overlooked made the latter a must for me. Our big regret was not having a day to get out to Ostia Antica.

- Research food before you go...something we failed to do (thinking it would be easy to find great food in Italy). While we didn't have a "bad" meal, we quickly learned that most of the places in the tourist areas paled to those recommended by the locals or found on our own by walking further out a bit (during the day). Be careful of recommendations from hotels as some have agreements with local restaurants.

- Originally we planned our trip around public transportation...but buses were crowded and our first night the subway closed early without notice (heard that wasn't uncommon). We then realized that it was just as easy (and not expensive) to get around by cab. (This was 9 years ago at least).

- Of course, without saying, keep your valuables so that close to your body and in front. I thought my friend went overboard buying one of those wire-mesh bags until we met a couple who had their bag slashed.

Italy is one of my favorite places in the world and I would love to go back for 2 weeks next time. Have a great trip!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look at the film Roman Holiday starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, my favourite romantic film.
It made Rome so dreamy I decided I wanted to go there for my honeymoon when I was still single.
I did go there for my honeymoon, however it was late 1990s and most of the famous sights were being repaired in time for the Millennium celebrations.
On top of that I was probably stressed and/or with the wrong person, hence I did not rate it that high as a romantic city.
I intend to return one day in the hope to see it in better light.
Enjoy your trip.
DK :))

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, Roma! I miss you! It was the time of my life.

So jealous of your trip right now. I'll echo others that have said the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, etc. A walking tour is a great idea.

Go see the Vatican whether or not you are Catholic. It is an incredible experience. Any church in Italy is very interesting. I am not particularly religious but I felt...something in those old, old places. OH AND EAT EVERYTHING!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get small group private tours by Livitaly in Rome. Max 6 people. Super fascinating and knowledgeable guides. Early admittance to the Sistine chapel sooooo worth it. Colosseum tour with access to underground and colosseum floor level so fantastically awesome. Think “Gladiator” level. I went twice this year, different guides each time. One focused on the history and timeline of the early and later Roman Empire. The other focused heavily on the actual colosseum and Roman forum. Wander and eat... enjoy!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results