shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do if u had a 110ct?

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
2AB49547-D58F-4A8E-8882-98A4C2950968.jpeg

I recall @JoelJewel posted some time back regarding cutting up a 110ct into 10pcs.
The similarities with my source is all too uncanny.

Such big sizes are a rarity, so pls dun cut it up. But I can understand your dilemma with not being able to ‘wear’ your stone out or sell it.
I’m just curious why not state your asking price or consider an auction?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d wear that....around my neck...and do a home workout to strengthen my back & neck muscles!! :eek2:
Wow! To even have a bank roll to even consider ownership...oh yeah.....:twisted2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd auction that in a second and buy myself alllllll the bling to wear! I wouldn't want to keep something I can't wear.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d wear that....around my neck...and do a home workout to strengthen my back & neck muscles!! :eek2:
Wow! To even have a bank roll to even consider ownership...oh yeah.....:twisted2:
My thoughts exactly- it would make an awesome pendant.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s a light faint brown! It’s like my little .40 but wonder what it looks like in this size!

Last edited:

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I'd have to bezel it to hide the etch channel. One could wear it as a necklace.... or attach to a hat or hairband.

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
It could be a lovely 10mil $ (or more?) doorstop

From my understanding, the asking price was much less.

The only reason I could come up with was that OP wanted to avoid auction fees and sell privately. However, as it’s not my stone to sell, I’m in no position to disclose it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The really big historic ones tend to be cushions, don't they..i would guess to save weight? Anyone know why this would have been cut as a massive RB? So interesting!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it went to auction in 2017:
https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-article/largest-round-diamond-ever-auction/

On Dec. 17 in New York City, Sotheby’s will offer what it calls the largest round diamond ever sold at auction—and at 110.92 carats, it’s hard to argue.

Unlike the 163 ct. D-Flawless emerald-cut about to be sold by Christie’s, the Sotheby’s stone doesn’t offer specs to die for. It’s been graded L color (faint light brown) and VS1 clarity, though it has excellent polish, cut, and symmetry. Sotheby’s hopes to fetch between $4.2 million and $6.2 million for it.

If you can't imagine what it looks like on the finger... :lol:

Sothebys still has the listing up:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2017/magnificent-jewels-n09694.html

Lot 195:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2017/magnificent-jewels-n09694/lot.195.html

but it looks like it didn't sell because it's not in the list of results:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/results.results.sale.pdf/2017/magnificent-jewels-n09694.pdf

Lot number which are omitted represent items which were withdrawn, passed or unsold as of the publication of this list.

Maybe the colour/tint was what was making it hard to sell - colourless and IF/FL seems to be where big investors want to put their money, I reckon.

Last edited:

EncikG

Shiny_Rock

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it can’t sell at auction then it brings us back to the original proposition OP was asking: how many potential L stones could be cut out of this.
We don't know the reason it didn't sell at auction, though - was the reserve $100,000,000, perhaps? lol

Maybe the owner wants more than the market will bear, or at least the market that was present (physically or virtually) on the day?

I'm sure it would ultimately sell with an auction opening bid of $1 :lol: but where would hammer fall is the question :))

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
We don't know the reason it didn't sell at auction, though - was the reserve $100,000,000, perhaps? lol

Maybe the owner wants more than the market will bear, or at least the market that was present

The asking price I’m aware of is within the price range of the article u linked. Maybe the market wasn’t there. But the OP is now here asking for advice on cutting it up

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I'd send it out for recut assessment.. but into one smaller stone... with better clarity and optics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results