shape
carat
color
clarity

What to bring when you

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
try on your dress? I''d like to go try some dresses on sometime in the near future but do you have to bring special undergarments? I don''t know what kind of dress I want. Maybe strapless, maybe not, A line. Will I be able to tell how it fits w/o the special stuff?

Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d bring a strapless or convertible bra, and wear a nude thong or nude panties, and possibly a spanx type hip slimmer/jiggle control type thing...you''ll at least be able to get some idea of what the gown will look like even without the perfect undergarments that way. Do you know which stores you''re going to look at yet? Good luck Dixie!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Monarch, I don''t know which stores yet. David''s Bridal b/c the prices seem so good and not sure where else. I''m always open to suggestions!
2.gif

Thanks for the advice on what to bring. I have one of those all in one slimming sort of things but it''s not strapless.. I guess I could just bring separates.
I hope there''s no policy on taking pictures b/c I''m definitely going to want to!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Dixie, I just did this last weekend! I actually wore a strapless bra (as a D cup that was NOT fun), and a pair of bike shorts. Did you know they still make those?? I was so worried I''d look silly with my ass hanging out, but I didn''t. I got to wear a crinoline that fastened right under my breasts, so that made the changing a lot easier. I think a strapless bra would be easier to wear since you can wear that with every dress possibilty, IMHO. I myself was a little hesitant to wear the body slimmers, since I wanted the measurements for my dress to be without help (I.e. a slimmer hip because I''m wearing a tube sock type thing). So I got my real (shudder) measurements and was happy with that. Whatever sounds easier to you, I just came dressed with that under my regular clothes for quicker dressing. I figured I wouldn''t be shy about hiding my butt if it was covered in nike shorts.
1.gif
Good luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am 99% sure David''s lets you take pics. I actually did all my dress shopping in one weekend in Indy so I am not the best person for recommending dress stores here, unfortunately. One of my friends found her dress waaaayyyy marked down at House of Brides somewhere out here in the suburbs but also said they were super snooty to her when they first heard her price range (2-300)...I have a feeling you''re going to have better luck with dresses since you''re having a tough time finding a venue, though!

You will be able to tell how the dress fits with a regular strapless and panties (just make sure they''re nude if you''re looking at anything that doesn''t have a huge skirt). You pretty much have to buy lingerie to fit the actual dress you end up with anyway, so remember if the dress doesn''t fit you exactly right it can be altered or you can do amazing things with the right undergarments as well. But don''t go in commando unless you''re totally comfortable with people possibly seeing your naughty bits, lol!

I''m so excited for you! Have a wonderful time and enjoy the bridey-ness of it all!

E B

Ideal_Rock
When I went, I didn't bring anything. Every place I went had strapless bras or corsets and heels. But I'm a 34B, so if you're bigger in the bust, you might want to bring a bra just in case.

Oh, and wear underwear that won't embarrass you when you're in the room with the attendant if you're modest. I'm on the modest side, so I wore boyshort underwear (that's what I wear most of the time anyway).

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Unless you just happen to be the same size as the samples, the dresses aren''t going to fit anyway. They do help you get an idea of what might look good on your body type, what silouettes and necklines you''re comfortable in, how much lace/beading/poof/etc you want.

I went dress shopping utterly unprepared. I was just driving past the shop with one of my bridesmaids, and we were like, "hey, let''s go shopping!" And they were nice enough to see me without an appointment. I was wearing a little halter sundress that day with a back low enough it was hard to wear a bra, so I just wasn''t wearing one. (I''m an A, so it''s ok.) No special undergarments, no heels, no anything. They have long-line bras and similar undergarments that they lend to you when trying on gowns, so that wasn''t a problem at all. And I don''t care if my mom or bridesmaids see me half-naked, so the only awkward part was when the saleswoman came in to take my measurements after I chose a dress. But then I realized that she probably sees lots of breasts in her job, so whatever. If you can plan ahead though, it really doesn''t hurt to bring a bra.
1.gif
And maybe some nude undies and not bright-pink-polka-dotted ones wouldn''t hurt either.
2.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
hey dixie,i''m excited you''re starting the dress search! i didn''t bring anything, they have strapless bras there which they offer..
post pics (i''m bummed i forgot my camera when i went, i had too many other things going on!!)

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
David''s has corset bras there. Just make sure you request the ribbed kind, not the foam kind. *shudder*

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 1:29:31 PM
Author: IndieJones
David''s has corset bras there. Just make sure you request the ribbed kind, not the foam kind. *shudder*
Too true! I made the mistake of buying a foam one, and it added at least two inches to my waistline...I looked like a tree trunk when trying on the dresses! Yuck!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would wear whatever you would wear the day of, especially during the fittings.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I would recc''d
1)nude strapless bra that you like the way you look in
2)if you are modest or want to wear a shaper a pair of spanx- I ended up w/ 2 pairs because I got them on sale- one was like bike shorts, one attached to the bottom of the bra, but the bottoms were cut like normal underwear- I liked these best because it gave me a smooth line, and it all seemed like one piece, and I didn''t need butt/thigh help.
3)shoes w/ a heel height that you like and are likely to wear on the big day.

Yes many dress shops have corsets and shoes, but I am skeeved out by them...

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 1:03:12 AM
Author: monarch64
You pretty much have to buy lingerie to fit the actual dress you end up with anyway, so remember if the dress doesn''t fit you exactly right it can be altered or you can do amazing things with the right undergarments as well.

Good advice, Monarch. While a lot of these lists really make sense for fittings, I don''t think it makes sense to get strapless bras and shapewear to go dress shopping if you don''t already own them. They might not work with the dress you choose, and then you''ll have to get new ones anyway. My dress has a low enough back that a normal strapless bra doesn''t work, for example. The bras they have in the stores might be a little bit skeevy, but at least they tend to fit whatever dresses you try on. You can always shower when you get home, too.
1.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your responses everyone!!

Amber, what''s a crinoline? My only concern w/wearing a strapless is that I certainly couldn''t just wear it under regular clothes b/c not enough support. I guess it would be ok to use w/the dresses since they are fitted in that area. I just hate strapless bra''s! Makes sense not to wear the slimmer to get more accurate measurements but I assume that I''d want to wear one w/the dress anyway.. but I have no idea!
Monarch, I think someone else suggested House of Brides to me too so I''ll check it out! Um, don''t worry, I''ll definitely have something on under that dress!

Ebree, good suggestion! I really didn''t think at all of the embarrassment issue so I am sooooo glad everyone has mentioned it in advance b/c yes, I am easily embarrassed!!

Blenheim, thanks for the tips. It''s good to hear they have stuff you can borrow so in case what I bring doesn''t work. I didn''t even think of them coming in to take measurements.
14.gif
I''m not looking fwd to that! I don''t think I''ll buy stuff just for the trying on b/c I really wouldn''t know what to buy. I will see what they have and hopefully get an idea and that way, I can go somewhere else and save $. I''m all about finding it cheaper elsewhere!

Janine, thanks! I have to remember to bring my camera. I always forget when I really want it. Or have no film or not charged or something comes up.

Indie, thanks for the tip! I have never heard of the foam kind so good to know.

Facetfire, I certainly don''t need another 2 inches so I will stay away from the foam ones, far, far away!

Kcoursolle, I think that''s a great idea, my only problem has been that I have no idea what I would wear the day of. But I''ve got a better feeling now.

Dtnyc, I just wish I had a nude strapless bra that I liked! That''s my first problem. I''ve never seen something that attaches to the bottom of the bra but sounds good. I didn''t even think about the shoes, thanks!

Thanks ladies! I feel better prepared now. I just have to plan a day to go ahead and go!

val951

Rough_Rock
Yay for dress shopping! I bought my dress at David''s and they let me take a million pictures of the different dresses I liked so I could send them to my dad (he works overseas). At the time I was very, very busty (about a G cup) and didn''t own a strapless bra, but they let me borrow one of the biggest ones they had and it fit okay...not okay enough to want to wear the day-of, but for just trying on a few dresses it worked. If you ARE in the same very busty category and already own a strapless, I''d def. bring that just b/c it''d fit better. I brought shoes w/the heel height that I thought I''d want for the day-of even though I knew I''d need ANY hem brought up, just so I could get an idea. Hmm...I agree about the modesty thing and changing w/the attendant...cover up what you don''t want them to see b/c they''re usually right there w/you through the WHOLE thing!

I was 100% dead-set agains buying a strapless dress b/c I didn''t want to have to worry about buying a strapless bra and being uncomfortable or pulling my dress up all day long (being large chested, that''s a big issue) but I let the attendants at different shops talk me into trying them on. You''d be surprised at how well and quality dress will cover you! Needless to say, I bought a strapless dress and LOVE it!

Have fun! This is one thing I wish I''d taken more time with, just so I could enjoy trying on beautiful dress after beautiful dress! I love my dress, but that was def. the part of all the planning (so far) that''s made me feel most bride-y!

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
Ditto on the modest undies - My first attempt at trying on dresses almost made me die with embarrassment when they made me strip down to be measured as I normally don''t wear underwear at all. LOL, the lady just walked in with a measuring tape and was awesome about it but I could have died - needless to say I had my mom go get a pair and bring to me before I went through all that but they were still more revealing than I would have cared for.
The attendant didn''t bat an eye though and I agree with whoever said it before, seeing boobs and bums is all in a days work for them, and that helped me relax at the other shops I went to (although by then I had aquired a lovely pair of nude boyshorts
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results