shape
carat
color
clarity

What size studs are too big for the office?

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Think a typical office setting...are 1.0 tcw round studs too large? A 0.5 ct stud is about 5.15 mm in diameter. I'm thinking maybe 0.8 tcw is a better size for everyday wear.

I want to minimize ear droop and also being too large/flashy for an office setting. Note these earrings would accompany a 2 carat MRB solitaire e-ring.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't think so, and I'm fairly conservative

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say that I thought anything bigger than 2 ctw might be a bit large but...its all relative to where you live and what kind of office.

I certainly dont think 1 ctw is too big.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We live in NYC...and it's a law firm.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's too large especially in NY. I wouldn't hesitate at that size.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We live in NYC...and it's a law firm.
I don't think 1 ctw would be a problem at all given that type of setting. Depending on how much earlobe real estate you have, I'd probably go 1.50-1.75 ctw.

This photo was to show the pendant, but you can see the studs in it as well:
IMG_3359.JPG

They are 1.6 ctw and I live in the sticks! :lol:

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful! No offense intended, but do you happen to have above average sized lobes? I would never guess those are 0.80 ct studs. (They look smaller to me).

I don't think 1 ctw would be a problem at all given that type of setting. Depending on how much earlobe real estate you have, I'd probably go 1.50-1.75 ctw.

This photo was to show the pendant, but you can see the studs in it as well:
IMG_3359.JPG

They are 1.6 ctw and I live in the sticks! :lol:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people would not be able to tell the difference between 5 and 6mm stones when viewing at office appropriate distance.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if someone walks in with over 3 carats in each ear, that is large. 1.00 carat and under in each ear is balanced :)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find my 1 ctw studs seem really quite small when I wear them to work (and no-one has ever noticed them). And I live in a conservative jewelry place where engagement rings have historically been no more than 1/2 carat. Oh, and there's no way they would cause droop. Some of my big pearl studs OTOH need large reinforced backs to stay perky.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful! No offense intended, but do you happen to have above average sized lobes? I would never guess those are 0.80 ct studs. (They look smaller to me).
None taken! I'm honestly not sure if I have large earlobes or not, LOL. But I went back and looked at the CADs from when DK did the bezel settings and saw they are actually 5.3mm each and 1.32 ctw, whoops! Don't mind me giving myself a whole 1/3 carat over here! :lol:

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah ok...that makes a lot more sense!

None taken! I'm honestly not sure if I have large earlobes or not, LOL. But I went back and looked at the CADs from when DK did the bezel settings and saw they are actually 5.3mm each and 1.32 ctw, whoops! Don't mind me giving myself a whole 1/3 carat over here! :lol:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear 2ctw studs all day every day and no one has said “Boo” about them. I once worked with a woman who wore 2ct EACH (to the office, the gym, running errands, etc) and that was over the top. However, they were really crappy color/clarity and looked like lifeless gray blobs so it was more of a “Why would you wear that” than a “I’m being blinded!” reaction (from me anyway!). But she freely admitted all she cared about was that each stone was two carats so she was happy.

“People vary”, as Kenny says!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in a law firm in the upper Midwest and wear a .94 and a .63 in EACH ear.

I'm not even a lawyer. :lol:

No one has ever said I was outrageous (or even fantastic) (because of the size of my earrings,anyway).

People are (IMO) into their own selves.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on your ears. My Goldilocks size is 1.5tcw and I wear those every day to an office in a region of the country that wears on average .3-75 e rings and usually studs .5-.6tcw.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I work in a law firm in the upper Midwest and wear a .94 and a .63 in EACH ear.

I'm not even a lawyer. :lol:

No one has ever said I was outrageous (or even fantastic) (because of the size of my earrings,anyway).

People are (IMO) into their own selves.

Outrageous or fantastic, lol, that made me laugh!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've worked in NY law firms. Anything up to 7mm is fine, if you are more than couple years out of lawschool. That said, if you are just starting out as a new associate, I think the 5.5-6mm range is as big as I'd personally want to go, if I was conservative. So you are just fine. Several of my fellow graduates received diamond studs for graduation (like 4 of them!) and all of them were in the 6mm range. About 1.5 ctw.

One caveat, if you take public transportation in the subway... then I'd consider that a limiting factor. Especially if you often work late into the night (which you probably do). Lobe size is also important. Try some different ones and find out what looks best on you and go from there.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too work at a NY Law firm. I have seen the gamut of sizes in my last few positions. I have seen associates and secretaries with 2ctw studs, whereas a partner at my firm only wears about 1ctw. All three pairs look wonderful and fit the personality of their owners.

Personally, I would jump on the 1ctw bandwagon in a heartbeat.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was a banker in NYC and live in NYC and east Hampton. Anything goes. Wear what makes you happy. Mine currently are 1.25ish, tw 2.53. While I was still working on Wall Street I wore .92 each, total weight 1.85cts. No one noticed...except one idiot boss. I am a small person (5ft 3in and a size 0/2). Huge earlobes. The studs do not look big. Most people think they are under 1ct each.

Don't stress. Enjoy.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Too big? :lol: If they fit well and wont fall out or damage/ strech the lobes ... no such thing as too big. :lol-2:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a lawyer and partner in a law firm in Colorado. Mine are 3 ctw. I wear them daily - really never switch them out. No one has ever said anything about them except that they are pretty.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also work at a financial firm in NYC and no one says anything about my 1.6ctw studs that I wear on a daily basis! My hair is dark and almost always down so I suppose that conceals them at times. I also intend to upgrade these to at least 2ctw at some point. Wear what YOU love!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work on a dental office, I have 1 ct in each ear and two .20 studs in each ear. I would totally rock 2 ct studs if I could afford them.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have 1.25ctw and .62ctw. The 1.25ctw are a little spready so they are 5.5mm. I think up to 6mm would be okay and wouldn’t be considered to large in an office.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been wearing my 1.4ctw studs daily for years and have never felt like people were giving my the side eye.:mrgreen2:

I think it depends on the wearer though, if you have tiny little earlobes the stones may look bigger. If you have larger lobes than 1ctw may not even have enough presence.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think a typical office setting...are 1.0 tcw round studs too large? A 0.5 ct stud is about 5.15 mm in diameter. I'm thinking maybe 0.8 tcw is a better size for everyday wear.

I want to minimize ear droop and also being too large/flashy for an office setting. Note these earrings would accompany a 2 carat MRB solitaire e-ring.

No I don't think 1ctw is too big at all. Depending on a few other variables. But generally I think that is a lovely size for studs. Very conservative.

I have been wearing my 1.4ctw studs daily for years and have never felt like people were giving my the side eye.:mrgreen2:

I think it depends on the wearer though, if you have tiny little earlobes the stones may look bigger. If you have larger lobes than 1ctw may not even have enough presence.

Exactly this. One cannot state an absolute size as too big because it depends on the individual and their lobe size and also their work environment.

Too big? :lol: If they fit well and wont fall out or damage/ strech the lobes ... no such thing as too big. :lol-2:

Haha yes this is how I feel (for me) too.

The way one dresses and accessorizes have more influence (IMO on whether one has an appropriate appearance in the office environment. So I think you would be just fine with 1 carat studs each ear if you are conservatively dressed and don't flash a lot of other bling at the office.

I've worked in NY law firms. Anything up to 7mm is fine, if you are more than couple years out of lawschool. That said, if you are just starting out as a new associate, I think the 5.5-6mm range is as big as I'd personally want to go, if I was conservative. So you are just fine. Several of my fellow graduates received diamond studs for graduation (like 4 of them!) and all of them were in the 6mm range. About 1.5 ctw.

One caveat, if you take public transportation in the subway... then I'd consider that a limiting factor. Especially if you often work late into the night (which you probably do). Lobe size is also important. Try some different ones and find out what looks best on you and go from there.

I would definitely be careful of riding the subways with big diamonds. But again I don't think the size you are thinking of would be too flashy or too big generally.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My studs are 1 ctw and I work in a conservative office. No one has ever commented or probably even noticed. To me they don't look too tiny or flashy and I'm comfortable wearing them everywhere (and I do).

I have DSS so....If I were choosing again, I'd go somewhere between 1.5ctw and 2 ctw.

I've never really considered the size of my earlobes. I guess they are probably average?

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am working in a conservative working environment and my 1.36ct solitaire sometimes creates unwanted attention (I am located in Europe), however funny thing - my 1.7ctw studs never resulted in any unwanted attention.

My theory is that studs are like pearls - latter seem to be accepted in working environment as an appropriate accessory (even if some of them are just as costly)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results