shape
carat
color
clarity

what size stone will this hold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
Long story short, my best friend and her fiance were in a bad car accident right before Christmas. I was thinking of selling back my diamond to GOG and buying a Moissanite as a temp. stone so that I could help her out with some of the wedding expenses. Right now my ring has a 5.9mm stone and I''d like to put in a 7mm temp stone and eventually a 7mm real diamond. Do you think this might fit? I know that I need to see a jeweler, I just haven''t had the time
7.gif

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any advice on the size of the stone but I think it''s wonderful that you would do this for your friend. What a true friend you are
1.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you certainly are an amazing friend.

Definitely an unprofessional opinion, but I do think your setting has a bit of give - there''s a lot of distance between pavilion and shoulders and culet and trellis. A jeweller could tell you for certain, but I wouldn''t count it out as an impossibility!

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
I read through old posts to find the specs of that diamond. I''ll not bring up any of those topics. Sticking to the question asked: I''d say a 7mm could be shoehorned in there. A 6.5 mm should definitely fit in there.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is not what you asked, and generally people giving unsolicited advice is obnoxious to me, but I can''t help myself. I think it''s a very beautiful gesture to WANT To do something to help your friend, I think it''s a big much to sell your OWN wedding set to fund someone else''s party. I would NEVER want a friend to do that for me, bu tI would feel so touched that they would even consider it. I''m sure they will think of some way to have their wedding, even if it has to be different than originally planned. In the end, the ceremony and all of the accompanying expenses are a party. A very special party, but a party all the same. Just be sure in your decision and make sure this is something that your friend would even want, because such a sacrifice might end up making her feel bad. Now back to your question, I don''t believe a 7mm stone would fit in that size mounting. I believe they generally only extend a few .10 of a mm, from what I was told.. especially with integrated prongs.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would depend on the depth of the new stone I think. If it was overly deep and a 7mm then probably no. If it was shallower then perhaps.

What you''re considering is a lovely gesture.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take it in and show it to a bench jeweler and explain your question. It looks like you’ve got a little bit of flex because the stone that’s in it now looks smaller than it was made for. Do you know who the manufacturer of the ring is? It’s often possible to replace that center piece that holds the stone and if this is the case you’ll be able to put in it as big or as small a stone as you want.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 6:21:13 PM
Author: Sizzle
I know this is not what you asked, and generally people giving unsolicited advice is obnoxious to me, but I can''t help myself. I think it''s a very beautiful gesture to WANT To do something to help your friend, I think it''s a big much to sell your OWN wedding set to fund someone else''s party. I would NEVER want a friend to do that for me, bu tI would feel so touched that they would even consider it. I''m sure they will think of some way to have their wedding, even if it has to be different than originally planned. In the end, the ceremony and all of the accompanying expenses are a party. A very special party, but a party all the same. Just be sure in your decision and make sure this is something that your friend would even want, because such a sacrifice might end up making her feel bad. Now back to your question, I don''t believe a 7mm stone would fit in that size mounting. I believe they generally only extend a few .10 of a mm, from what I was told.. especially with integrated prongs.
I understand what you''re saying, and really, to me this ring is just a ring. I bought it myself, stone, setting, everything and honestly, it really doesn''t mean that much to me. I have my first ering and would NEVER in a million years dream of giving it up! It was also a Wal-Mart ering
3.gif
as my hometown didn''t have much in the way of options (think frozen spit with about 9 sparkles - I tried counting one day
9.gif
3.gif
). I guess the other half of the long story is that pricescope has educated both myself and my husband on how to find great stones and that internet shopping isn''t that scary (it also fed my upgrade fever until I found a style that I truly love!). I''ve asked my husband for our 7 year anniversary to pick out a stone himself as a gift from him to me instead of the three stone that he had planned originally. Thank you for the info too!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results