shape
carat
color
clarity

What size stone is "too big" for a pendant?

What size is verging on too big for you?

• 8-9mm

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 9-10mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-11mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-12mm

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 12-13mm

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • The bigger the better, baby!

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Looking to get some opinions here. If you were buying a round gemstone to have set into a simple prong pendant (no diamonds or extra stones, just a basic 4-6 prong pendant), what mm size would you consider "too big" or verging on gaudy? I'm talking for relatively inexpensive stones such as tourmaline, amethyst, peridot, or blue zircon where sizes of 10-12mm are not so difficult to obtain compared to things like sapphires, etc.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
The bigger the better size is what I consider too big for MY pendant. Even when I was much younger in my mid-twenties, I didn't like anything heavy hanging from my neck. It was OK for something big and light, like a decoration made of leather but not for a heavy watch on a heavy chain. My neck hurt and headache would start soon. But I think that round stone 12-13 mm in diameter without any extras would be perfectly light for my 55y.o. neck now.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In between. Your biggest choice before "too big" is only a half-inch and that's not very big for a colored stone, imo. I'm sure there are diamond rings that size a few threads over. =)2

I have ring stones that are 10 - 11 mm in the longest dimension and they are easily still finger-sized let alone pendant-sized.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I can't lift my head... might be too big... IMO too big is personal and also money driven.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang !
I can't find a photo
But who remembers the cocoa tin lid medallion on Granville on open all hours ?
that's the size i would draw the line at
open-all-hours-2.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Small dainty pendants would disappear around my chunky neck and do not suit me, hence I am in the camp of bigger the better.

One of the ones I am considering is a nearly 20mm round Danburite cut by Jeff White that I had planned to use as an interchangeable pearl clasps for my Tahitian and South Sea pearls.

Others include a lemon quartz from Jeff D that is even bigger; a trillion Topaz from Doug Menadue; and a neon pink lab Sapphire I bought from The Gemstone Project.

Pics of the stones together with my 9mm Rubellite and the slightly larger white Topaz, both from JW that I had planned to use as pendant bails for my interchangeable pearl pendant project. The Rubellite will now be set as a ring. The Topaz may still be used for this purpose.

20200725_074424.jpg

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmmm.
Too big in my book is what a chain / my neck muscles can’t handle. With thick chains and strengthening exercises - I’m good!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol::lol::lol: I love how all PS’ers are pretty much ‘the bigger the better!!’

Depends on the stone and the setting. But I wouldn’t baulk at 12-13mm...

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Hahaha, I love that most of you are just like "too big?? ... What is this idea of which you speak?"

I have a blue topaz rough that should be able to cut a 14-15mm round and I've been weighing whether to have it cut down to more like 11mm, or just go full out and get the max size possible out of it. With other more expensive material, of course it would be cut for maximum yield, but for something like blue topaz that is really rather cheap in rough form, IMO, you can do what you want. Sounds like you guys all agree to go for the max, but I'm still a bit torn, wondering if a huge sparkly blue thing will make people think it's costume jewelry. Your enthusiasm has given me food for thought though!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha, I love that most of you are just like "too big?? ... What is this idea of which you speak?"

I have a blue topaz rough that should be able to cut a 14-15mm round and I've been weighing whether to have it cut down to more like 11mm, or just go full out and get the max size possible out of it. With other more expensive material, of course it would be cut for maximum yield, but for something like blue topaz that is really rather cheap in rough form, IMO, you can do what you want. Sounds like you guys all agree to go for the max, but I'm still a bit torn, wondering if a huge sparkly blue thing will make people think it's costume jewelry. Your enthusiasm has given me food for thought though!

I wouldn't think it was costume
and quite frankly who cares what the uniformed thinks
get it cut big - you could always downsize latter but once its cut smaller there is no going back
im quite fond of blue topaz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results