Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

What size pearl studs would you give as a gift?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m torn between 5mm-7mm. I don’t know her lobe size. I was thinking 5mm is pretty safe and small, but 7mm seems to be classic...

Thoughts?

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not just about the diameter of the pearls, how it sits on the earlobe is also important.

For example, I have big fat earlobes, and in theory, I can wear 20mm pearls.

However they would protrude too high and make the width of my already wide face even wider!

Hence I stick to no more than 10mm round pearls, and can go larger if they are what I would describe as "drawing pin" shaped ones or flat buttons, if you know what I mean.

DK :))

seaurchin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, 7mm is what I'd consider more "classic" size studs. They would be the minimum size pearl earring gift for an adult, in my opinion. They would be small and not stand out much.

I'm sure personal preference varies widely, and ear lobe size often figures in as well. I'd guess I have average ear lobe size and for me, 7mm would be a size I'd wear when I don't have my makeup on and don't want to be noticed lol. Pearls are usually sold listed in a one mm range, so I'm talking about 7-8mm. (6-7mm is very small and would be too small for me).

5mm is teensy-tiny, a size I'd get for a small child, unless the recipient especially likes earrings of that size or maybe for a second piercing.

My "go to" pearl studs are a pair of 8-9mm Tahitians for everyday casual. I usually wear jeans and sandals and I wear this pair more than any other earrings. My dress-up pearl studs are 11-12mm. I feel like that size has a little wow factor without making me feel like I have knobs on my head lol, and also without being so heavy that my ears hurt after a couple of hours.

So I'd consider what type of earrings the recipient usually wears. Another consideration is that round pearl earrings get a lot pricier with size.

Last edited:

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7mm would be my choice too, as 6mm is not very big for a pearl.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7mm for sure. First of all it is a classic size for pearl studs. And 7 is a classic lucky number too. And no matter her size earlobes or where her piercings lay 7mm is probably a safe bet. Though it would be best if she could try them on first. Can you exchange them if they don't lay right or look right?

Such a nice gift!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok cool! 7mm is the biggest I would go for budget reasons, so that solves that! Thanks everyone :)

They’re a gift for my doctor that helped me on my journey to have a baby. I thought pearls would be appropriate because a pearl is made when something grows inside and becomes something beautiful - just like pregnancy lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok cool! 7mm is the biggest I would go for budget reasons, so that solves that! Thanks everyone :)

They’re a gift for my doctor that helped me on my journey to have a baby. I thought pearls would be appropriate because a pearl is made when something grows inside and becomes something beautiful - just like pregnancy lol.
Such a thoughtful gift! I think she’ll love it. ❤

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, great gift! I was going to ask the age of the recipient but sounds like she’ll be 35 plus. Definitely bigger size for that age group. I gave 5mm studs to my 14 year old niece.

jbake

Shiny_Rock

What a beautiful sentiment! I’m sure she’ll love them.

moneymeister

Brilliant_Rock

What a beautiful thought. I'm sure she will be touched.

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock

What a wonderful sentiment for her gift.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe should I mention that it’s probably pretty uncomfortable for the Mollusk to grow the little beauty? Kind of like pregnancy ;-) lol

Naw maybe I won’t mention that haha.

My doctor was amazing though. I don’t know if I would’ve had the courage to go through it all if not for her. She helped me when I had a miscarriage and her kindness and sensitivity was unparalleled. It is really amazing to be holding my baby boy now, and there’s no way I can adequately repay this doctor for her compassion, humanity, and support- but the pearls are a good attempt!

m-cubed

Rough_Rock
Hehehe should I mention that it’s probably pretty uncomfortable for the Mollusk to grow the little beauty? Kind of like pregnancy ;-) lol

Naw maybe I won’t mention that haha.

My doctor was amazing though. I don’t know if I would’ve had the courage to go through it all if not for her. She helped me when I had a miscarriage and her kindness and sensitivity was unparalleled. It is really amazing to be holding my baby boy now, and there’s no way I can adequately repay this doctor for her compassion, humanity, and support- but the pearls are a good attempt!
I think the pearls are a lovely gesture, but may I also suggest that you write down these sentiments in a card? You may already be planning that, but I have found that words from the heart are sometimes the most valuable gift. You have really eloquently expressed how she helped you here.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the pearls are a lovely gesture, but may I also suggest that you write down these sentiments in a card? You may already be planning that, but I have found that words from the heart are sometimes the most valuable gift. You have really eloquently expressed how she helped you here.
Oh yes, definitely a card. But thank you for confirming that kind words will mean a lot! <3

I’m sure great doctors don’t always know how great they are.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you guys think freshwater will be ok? I know akoya is usually nicer but it’s also a lot more expensive...

Thoughts?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you guys think freshwater will be ok? I know akoya is usually nicer but it’s also a lot more expensive...

Thoughts?
Freshwater might actually be preferred.
As a doc myself, i know where I practice we aren’t supposed to accept expensive gifts. Even were it ok, Id feel weird about it. Honestly my favorite presents have been homemade and accompanied by a heartfelt note haha. Just my 2 cents.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freshwater might actually be preferred.
As a doc myself, i know where I practice we aren’t supposed to accept expensive gifts. Even were it ok, Id feel weird about it. Honestly my favorite presents have been homemade and accompanied by a heartfelt note haha. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah... I agree it can be weird. I'm not going to be her patient anymore so maybe it's ok? Darn. I gave her a card when she was my doctor last time. Another card seems... like I've already done that. So I was thinking a parting gift. Maybe flowers? Hmm. Any ideas? I'm not good at making things.

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CFWPs are fine, more hard wearing than Akoyas, and if you would like to push the boat out, have a look at PP's Freshadama range as they are probably the best CFWPs available IMHO.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thoughts?
Since most freshwater pearls are tissue-nucleated, they are virtually all crystalline nacre -- which I think gives them an advantage over Akoyas :))

Pearls of Joy is having an end of summer sale right now -- 15% off price in listing, discount automatically applied at check-out. Their white, "gem grade" freshwater pearl studs are here
ETA the link to the page of Pearl Paradise's Freshadama earrings that @dk168 has suggested:

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
POJ's gem grade CFWPs are very good too!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a lovely lovely present and I find the symbolism irresistible ! Definitely 7 mm round white Freshwater pearls. To keep the cost down you can always use Silver backs instead of Gold.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?
    Scorpio Style
    Scorpio Style
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.