shape
carat
color
clarity

What should *not* go in an ultrasonic cleaner? And why?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, a few months ago, I bought one of the magnasonic ultrasonic cleaners that people were recommending here. And I have to admit that I used it to clean *everything*. Ok, not my pearls, but all of my gemstone jewelry, including some cocktail rings that I have. This includes a blue topaz, a yellow 'emerald' - sold under the brand name emeryl, which I know is either a heliodor or a yellow beryl (and yes, I had too many cocktails on a cruise ship and it was really pretty, so there you have it), and a tanzanite. All of my rings are quite large (several carats). I've also been doing all of my diamond jewelry in there too. Only today I came across a website suggesting that I shouldn't be putting my tanzanite in there, or even possibly diamonds or my other stones, so I thought I'd ask people who are far more expert than me here what your thoughts are on this. It makes everything come out beautifully clean, but I'd cry if I damaged anything from using it. Help?

ETA: It's this one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007Q2M17K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t put anything with significant inclusions or treatment into the US, nothing with glue, epoxy, etc. Some stones are brittle by nature and I wouldn’t put those in either, and delicate settings are a no. So for me, no pearl, emerald, spess garnet, opal, and certain cabochons and certain delicate pieces. If I’m not sure of metal content, I don’t put it in either.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and especially since you say your rings are large, don’t crowd the US. You don’t want the rings vibrating against each other.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamonds only. Harder stones like sapphire or spinel you might be ok, my hesitation would be on anything that is not hard as that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be hesitant with pave coming lose depending on the setting...
I hear you can clean eyeglasses in the US but I also heard screws might come lose so not sure.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will confess to putting some swarovski earrings in, and several of the small crystals came unglued. That was a sad moment! My pave rings seem to be ok so far. It was an article on Tanzanite and the ultrasonic cleaner that freaked me out (because of course I had already done it). They were saying to skip putting in emeralds too due to the oil treatments, and diamonds with too many inclusions...and practically everything really was seemingly a no-no. As was steaming. So I started to wonder why they are being sold and how jewelers clean things if both steam and ultrasonic cleaning is ill advised...

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mohs hardness has nothing to do whether you can use an ultrasonic cleaner or not.

Don’t mix tenacity with Mohs hardness.
A nephrite is „softer“ than an emerald for example.

The problems are gems with inclusions esp. multiphase inclusion, cracks and filled stones.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FWIW, I've not had any issues with any Opals in an US if the stones are stable and without crazing. I was always wary about my jeweller doing it with my stock however I have spoken with fellow Opal cutters and they've advised it's not an issue as long as the stone is stable and it's only chemical in the US.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Tangential question - will putting tarnished silver in the ultrasonic help at all? I have some really badly tarnished silver pieces I don’t dare use silver paste on because I’m worried the product will affect the gemstones.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Tangential question - will putting tarnished silver in the ultrasonic help at all? I have some really badly tarnished silver pieces I don’t dare use silver paste on because I’m worried the product will affect the gemstones.

What gemstones do you have in them? Have you tried a silver polishing cloth? These are usually safe to use with almost all gemstones. I am also a fan of the aluminium foil/hot water/baking soda method —takes tarnish off like magic and most hard gemstones can take the heat.

Have tried ultrasonic for cleaning silver and my opinion is it doesn’t clean tarnish well.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ultrasonic does get most of the tarnish off silver.

If in doubt about any stones then the rule is don´t. Use an electric toothbrush with a sensitive head or not even that for very porous stones.

Diamonds- ultrasonic is a must. May even be followed by the toothbrush. Pave fine. You need to have at least good workmanship for the pave to be safe but it is also a good test, better to catch a stone in the ultra than have one falling out on the street.

Most colored stones I just use the electric or regular toothbrush. It is diamonds mainly anyhow where brilliance is key and they are grease magnets whereas most colored stones color is key and they do not possess as much brilliance or attract grease as much. Cleaning them is still important but most CS you can do more sporadically and just wipe in between with a lint free cloth.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to bcavitt's post, red (ruby) is only fine only if it isn't fracture or cavity filled.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ultrasonic does get most of the tarnish off silver.
It will also take off any of the antiquing found on some silver jewelry (John Hardy). Found this out the hard way my second day in the jewelry business - oops!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't this similar to the machine that jewelers use to clean a ring after they've done work on it? To get the leftover polish etc off it?

If so then garnets are put in all the time, as well as sapphires, diamonds and rubies. Can anyone compare the jeweler's process to the home US?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO absolutely no gem should go in an US machine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results