shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I look for in an Emerald cut? How does this compare?

sophiapetrillo

Rough_Rock
Looking for an Emerald cut, approximately 8x6ish. Would rather chubby than elongated if that makes sense. J is the highest I would go but 8 need to actually see it.... I found this on WF but no pics :(2. Can you tell anything from this GIA? What should I be looking for? I want to narrow some down before requesting pics. Hope that makes sense! TIA!

55AD867F-A38B-456D-814E-44CEEE470ABE.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to ask them for images (regular and aset). You cant really tell much from numbers for fancy cut stones. You really need videos.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like J is the lowest you would go, meaning your color range is D to J?

When you say chubby versus elongated, I'd say grab a piece of graph paper and figure out your ideal mmXmm and ratio. Heck, for fun, Cut them out and put them on your finger and snap a pic to look at.

This will help narrow your search. Check out my thread on my EC. Before I purchased it, I had images and videos sent to me. They gave me insight to how the steps are shaped and how they light up IRL.

I hope the above helps get your search going.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking for an Emerald cut, approximately 8x6ish. Would rather chubby than elongated if that makes sense. J is the highest I would go but 8 need to actually see it.... I found this on WF but no pics :(2. Can you tell anything from this GIA? What should I be looking for? I want to narrow some down before requesting pics. Hope that makes sense! TIA!

55AD867F-A38B-456D-814E-44CEEE470ABE.jpeg

As already mentioned, numbers are only the bare beginnings of your search for your holy grail EC.
Still images, 360degree video, and ASET images are vital, outside of IRL examination, to evaluate step cuts, and any other fancy cut diamond.
If you prefer “chubby”, rather than “elongated” EC’s, you will be looking for stones with a L x W ratio of 1.20:1-1.35:1. That’s a LARGE range. You should look at EC’s within that range to find your sweet spot.
Knowing your dimensions is helpful; you can rule out any that don’t fall within 0.10mm of your desired spread. You will start to notice size difference at that point.
Fancies are tricky, and are vastly dependent on preference. Therefore, you can have 10 opinions offered on the same, single stone, and get 10 different opinions. The one that matters is YOURS.
Become familiar with EC’s, how they move, while in motion, their unique facet patterns, and personalities. All diamonds are like stars: no 2 alike. EC’s are even more different, and you must determine what qualities you favor most.
When you find it, you’ll know. It’s powerful. ;)2

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! Sounds like a chore.... but a fun one

Most certainly, a fun one. ;)2
This is the beginning of a very fruitful journey. Your beauty is out there!! :kiss2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have nothing to add to the wise words already detailed above :))

I will look forward to some 'What about these?' posts ;-) :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results