shape
carat
color
clarity

What should i be looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gk172

Shiny_Rock
Ive been looking at getting a ring made up and searching these fourms and getting more confused every day and wonder if you could point me in the right direction please?

Im looking at a 1 ct princess cut set in yellow gold and looking to keep the cost down ie i dont want to be paying for a colour thats higher than needed. Basically im looking for hints of blue and then theres the inclusion side of things, i thought maybe go for vs2 being the lowest but then reading on here i find a lot have gone for I1 and some places charge more for I1 so maybe its the colour i should be looking at or a differant combination. Can anyone pleae advise me on what would be the best combination of what im hoping for, for the best price. If that makes sence?

Any help please
2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, focus on cut quality. This is really what makes a diamond sparkle like mad. Try looking for an AGS 0 to start, this should make the search a little easier.

Secondly, most find that princess H or higher face up nice and white. For a value, I''d stay around F/G/H, but not lower than H for princess cuts. I really don''t think you need to stay at a VS level, many SI''s are eye-clean...but some are not. I1 clarity is lower than SI and most are not eye clean (asking the vendor helps to see whether it''s eye-clean). Unless you are short on your budget, I''d stick with SI. You mentioned you like the tint of blue. This can come from blue flourescence and you should look for med or strong if you like this quality. The stone will look a little blue tinted in sun light, but not regular indoor light.

gk172

Shiny_Rock
Cheers, what are the differant abbreviations? so far ive came across fb,f,n and s under fluorescence?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 5:36:06 AM
Author: gk172
Cheers, what are the differant abbreviations? so far ive came across fb,f,n and s under fluorescence?
I could be wrong on these, someone correct me if I am.

faint blue, faint, negligible, strong...I think those are right...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 6:40:53 AM
Author: kcoursolle

That''s what I would say they are k.

And I agree with her on the advice she has given you. Whether you buy online or in a retail store, stick with AGS000 and those specs and you should do well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2007 7:05:34 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 4/20/2007 6:40:53 AM
Author: kcoursolle

That's what I would say they are k.

And I agree with her on the advice she has given you. Whether you buy online or in a retail store, stick with AGS000 and those specs and you should do well.
Also very strong or strong blue (SB) Negligible means the same as none or no fluorescence I believe as used by GIA terminology, you could find either to describe a non fluorescing diamond.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
GIA reports fluorescence as ''none, faint, medum, strong or very strong.'' Before 2003 the AGS used the terms ''inert, faint, medium, strong or very strong.'' In 2003 they stopped using inert & faint and replaced them with ''negligible.''

GIA does not report the color of faint fluorescence. With medium and higher the color will be noted (medium blue, etc). Blue is by far the most common. In a GIA study of 26,000 diamonds 35% had fluorescence and of those, 97% had blue fl.

This comprehensive 1997 study is a favorite read for the fluoro fan club. It makes them positively glow.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results